• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dye for Spridget Knobs - Restoring dash

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Someone posted a note on one of the forums within the last few days about a dye used for restoring Bakelite Knobs turning them black again. Company out of Northwest, Oregon or Washington. Dye comes in 2 sizes - up to 12 knobs for 12.95 and 25 for $19.95. Directions call for paint on, let soak in, buff the next day.

Unfortunately I forgot to save the link. Anyone familiar with this stuff. Thanks.

Keith_M

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Black shoe polish works well.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
This stuff was better. Comes in little plastic bottle. Dye soaks into the pores same as original colorization process. Thanks Keith

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I used the pensburymanor stuff on my BE original knobs, followed by white paint on the letter. It worked very well and I would recommend it!
Scott in CA CIMG2580a.JPG

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks that's what I was referring to. Now to bookmark it do I can find it a year from now when I need some if this stuff. Thanks guys.

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have been successful in using a white craft paint on the letters, lightly sanding the knob with a high grit paper until the white was only where I wanted it then spaying the knob with clear coat.

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Is this good for the steering wheel as well?

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Fred,
Ive never tried it on the original steering wheel since I believe it's hard rubber and not Bakelite. I cleaned mine, filled the cracks with JB Weld, sanded and primed and repainted. I don't know how well it will hold up since it's not on the car yet.
Rut

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
The steering column surround responds to boiled linseed oil I have read. And paint for steering wheel. This stuff is for knobs.

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have two steering wheels, one is in great shape, though showing it's age with dull color and some remnant of a previous paint, I think.

The other I got cheap and was cracked pretty bad. I dremeled the cracks and beveled them then filled with bondo, sanded gently and primed. Looks great, almost as good as the "good" wheel. Been sitting for a year without and cracking or other deterioration, though I haven't installed it on a car. I think I'll paint this one with a 2K urethane black paint.

Just not sure how to handle the good one. Maybe some shoe polish, but I'll need to get the little bit of remaining paint off without messing up the surface.

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Fred,
I used Duplicolor primer and a semi gloss top coat and it's been over a couple of years. The paint still looks good, but I used some plastic primer in a spray can a couple of weeks ago and was very happy with the results. I really don't know the composition of our steering wheels, but I've been told it's a hard rubber...I wonder if the plastic primer would be good for that?
Rut

TulsaFred

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I don't know, I tried some rattle can paint designed for plastic a while back with terrible results. Rattle can in general has been pretty bad for me as far as durability. I think 2K is far better, though obviously not nearly as convenient.