• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Donald Healey would like it... Purists won't!

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Tom,

I always enjoy seeing your car and love how its been a Nasty Boy for over half a century. Don't know if you've ever seen this Rocket-powered 100 from Oz:

oa41a1.jpg

From the HAMB

"
The car, originally owned and developed by two brothers, is a very early '53 BN1 Healey 100 raced around 1956-1963 with a number of engine set ups. First, it ran the standard Healey engine, then the Healey engine with a 3-71 supercharger that protruded up and out of the bonnet, and finally it ran an Olds 324 bored out to "about 365" with a six Stromberg 97 carb set up. The alloy nose was custom rebuilt in the late ā€˜50ā€™s after a paddock ā€œdingā€ to the original nose.

In period the car held a number of local sprint and track records, and with its Rocket engine was written up in the Australian press as "....probably the fastest accelerating car in South Australia" and "the most powerful sports car yet seen in Australia...." (it's original owner told me it would lift it's front wheels a few feet in the air when under full acceleration)"

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
One of the things I think is so special about TomTork's car is its authenticity. Hot rodders know it as the difference between a Deuce roadster that was built in the '50s compared to one built in the traditional style last year in some hipster's rod shop. In the Healey world, it's the difference between a factory 100M (I'm aware of the redundancy) and a "dealer LeMans" where the parts were added on last week. I've tried to keep the mid-'60s Nasty Boy vibe with my car:

But it really doesn't compare to one done back in the day:

30ivsiu.jpg

2dwag7a.jpg

99qfy0.jpg

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
In general I like it, however I'd like it even more if the front end hadn't been modified to look like a Cobra. I like nasty Boys to be as normal as possible on the outside, with a V8 stuffed inside.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Can you guys answer a question for me?

Why do so many V8s have those horrible looking, flying saucer, air filters. Why not just a down draft carb with socks on the stacks. Looks so much better.

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Wow, that was a stroll down memory lane looking at some of the posters from 7 years ago, especially Dave Russel.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Derek,

The simple answer is that's what American V8's came with. I'm not sure how you'd put a sock on a typical four-barrel (aka 4V, four-throat, four-choke) carb. I've seen socks on side-draft SU velocity stacks, or on Weber down drafts or even modern fuel injection ("stacks") but not on a four barrel. Maybe I'm just not understanding you correctly, got a picture? As far as using Weber down-drafts or fuel injection stacks goes, they are just way more expensive than your average four-barrel. I'd love to have Ian's Webers, but the Chancellor of the Exchequer would complain loudly:

DSCF0897.jpg

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Rick,

I guess I was showing my ignorance of the typical 4 barrel American carb. What I was thinking of was a set up like Ian's or the period photos you posted with the stacks pointing straight up. Did Ian get his inlet manifold specially cast or is that something you can buy off the shelf? Whichever it is it looks like an expensive bit of kit.

I know Holley make performance 4 barrel carbs. But I have a question. That is still only 4 chokes and 1 air intake for 8 cylinders. Do people who want even more performance fit at least 2 of those, or even some other set up? (apart from the 4 Weber option)

Another question. Why do the round air filters have to be so big? Are there smaller rectangular ones that can be fitted that will do the same job? It's nice to see more of the engine.

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I love the history and the resulting product is very cool. I used to think about doing something like this, but I realized that I would want to do so much work to the suspension and steering that it just was not worth it in today's kit-car market.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Rick,

I guess I was showing my ignorance of the typical 4 barrel American carb. What I was thinking of was a set up like Ian's or the period photos you posted with the stacks pointing straight up. Did Ian get his inlet manifold specially cast or is that something you can buy off the shelf? Whichever it is it looks like an expensive bit of kit.

I know Holley make performance 4 barrel carbs. But I have a question. That is still only 4 chokes and 1 air intake for 8 cylinders. Do people who want even more performance fit at least 2 of those, or even some other set up? (apart from the 4 Weber option)

Another question. Why do the round air filters have to be so big? Are there smaller rectangular ones that can be fitted that will do the same job? It's nice to see more of the engine.
Two 4-barrels has been done, but it's rare. The 4-barrel carbs have 2 primary venturis for low speed and at wider throttle openings, the 2, larger secondary venturis open. Typically, if one needs more airflow, a larger carb is bought. 4-barrle carbs have only one air intake, which then splits into the four venturis. The large air filter is needed to get enough filter surface area for the maximum air flow.

The second option is three 2-barrel carbs, with the center one used at low speed and the second and third opening at wider throttle openings. This is referred to as progressive linkage. These use three, smaller air filters.

These set-ups are now confined to old cars as fuel injection is the norm. These will use a cold-air induction with the filter up front.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
In general I like it, however I'd like it even more if the front end hadn't been modified to look like a Cobra. I like nasty Boys to be as normal as possible on the outside, with a V8 stuffed inside.
I agree. To get more cooling air, I've seen some where some of the grill slats have been removed.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Derek,

All your questions tie into the same theory, that an engine is basically an air pump and the more air you can pump through it, the more power will be produced. A four barrel carb is the most popular performance carb for a V8 motor because it's cheap, relatively easy to adjust and tune, and doesn't require synchronization as do multiple carbs. Significantly, the way American carbs are measured is by air flow (Cubic feet per minute, or CFMs) and not by rate of fuel used (Gallons per minute). Generally, the larger the engine, the larger the carb would be used in CFMs. For a factory motor, the manufacturer's engineers took care of the proper sizing of the carb. But for hot rodders, who've increased the capability of the engine to pump air through higher lift camshafts, free flowing exhaust headers, redesigned cylinder heads, etc. choosing the appropriate carb can be a bit of art and science. Too small a carb and you won't get all the performance the engine is capable of, too large and the engine will stumble at take off, what's known as "falling on its face". The carb for my motor, a 5.0L is somewhat midrange, with a 570 CFM rating. A motor of 7 liters might be using a carb rated at 850 or 1050 CFMs.

Four barrel carbs use a paired system of throttles. For average driving, the car will run on two barrels, i.e, the "primaries" for driveability and fuel economy. When the throttle pedal is depressed for more performance, the remaining pair of barrels will be activated either mechanically or by vacuum or what's known as "the four barrel kicking in". Because the engine is using more CFMs, there has to be a way to feed more filtered air to it. Too small an air filter (usually measured in square inches of filter surface or by CFM capacity) will choke the ability to use all the air the engine is capable of using and will result in a loss of power. So that's why American V8 filters are so big, they need to have a big filter to house a maximum amount of square inches of filter material (certain high-flow filter materials can also help increase CFMs as well)

For example, you'd probably like the appearance of the Stelling and Hellings filter that was used on a number of 7 liter Cobras:
IMG_1657-1.jpg

Dyno tests show that using this filter will cost 20 horsepower over the more common circular air cleaner. So people interested in ultimate performance rather than period correctness don't use them.

The picture also answers your other question. Some people will actually use multiple four-barrels, aka "dual quads". Great for the "wow" factor and ultimate performance, death to gas mileage. When used, they are generally on a "big block" engine of around 7 liters and not on a "small bock" of around 5 liters. If you're running dual quads on a small block, you've probably done some pretty serious mods to it and are using it for racing purposes.

As far as Ian's induction system goes, they are available from Jim Inglese: https://www.jiminglese.com/weberwebsite_007.htm Price for a fully set-up, complete, ready to run package like Ian's is about $5,200. I hope Mrs. FrankenHealey doesn't see this.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Thanks for the info Rick. It's a very interesting topic, I think I'll do some more reading on American V8s and carburettors.

Who needs air filters anyway!!!

Interestingly on a related issue, the triple Webers on my car were set up on a rolling road without filters. I put foam filters on for general road use and there is no problem for general driving. Last week at the season opener I forgot to remove them for the first run and when I really floored the throttle the car bogged down as it was starved of air.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Tom Tork's "Cobraization" was the result of him crunching the front of his car into the back of another car, so he needed to do a little sheetmetal work. It had a salutary effect, though, as just about every V8 Healey (mine included) struggles with keeping the water temp. cool. Just think about how many complaints are on the forum about overheating with stock motors and figure how much more difficult it is with motors almost twice the size. So V8 Healeys, particularly in warmer climes try all kind of fixes to help with cooling, including bigger radiators (almost impossible to fit without eliminating the steering column or trying to direct more air through the grille or find ways to let warm air out of the engine compartment.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I love the history and the resulting product is very cool. I used to think about doing something like this, but I realized that I would want to do so much work to the suspension and steering that it just was not worth it in today's kit-car market.

Bill,

Titling and registering a kit car in many states, including the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, can be almost impossible. Take a look at what Factory Five roadster builders have been going through in order to get their cars on the road (irony of ironies, Factory Five was founded and is based in Massachusetts) https://www.ffcars.com/forums/24-northeast-region/297528-mac-center-new-law.html

If you'd like to see what can be done with a Healey with all the handling and performance you'd ever want, check out this one: https://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/113_0703_custom_austin_healey_v8/

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Guys, I'm kind of partial to the 'ole '56 I had here for awhile last year. dual quads on a small block Chevy. Corvette that is. Factory original restoration. Hey, please don't get me wrong, I love them all, that's why I own a Healey. Dave. Hope the Pic comes thru.

Attachments

• Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of DSCF1450.JPG
    Copy of Copy of Copy of Copy of DSCF1450.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 99

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bill,

Titling and registering a kit car in many states, including the Commonwealth of Massachusetts, can be almost impossible. Take a look at what Factory Five roadster builders have been going through in order to get their cars on the road (irony of ironies, Factory Five was founded and is based in Massachusetts) https://www.ffcars.com/forums/24-northeast-region/297528-mac-center-new-law.html

If you'd like to see what can be done with a Healey with all the handling and performance you'd ever want, check out this one: https://www.hotrod.com/featuredvehicles/113_0703_custom_austin_healey_v8/

It wouldn't be too difficult for me. I'd use a modern donor and all the obd systems. They put out much better, smoother, reliable power than the old throw-back stuff anyway. Look at the output of a Ford Coyote engine compared to the cars of the 60s and 70s.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Hi Guys, I'm kind of partial to the 'ole '56 I had here for awhile last year. dual quads on a small block Chevy. Corvette that is. Factory original restoration. Hey, please don't get me wrong, I love them all, that's why I own a Healey. Dave. Hope the Pic comes thru.

Boy, that's pretty. Talk about a "wow" factor. Another Chevy small block using dual quads as a factory option were the early Camaro Z/28s. One of the cars I've lusted after for almost 50 years:

Without air filter:
p1220112.jpg

With air filter

p5151093-69xram.jpg

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
Here is another example of multiple carburetors in a V8 Healey.

I have changed from an Edelbrock 4 barrel

25.JPG Click on picture to enlarge.

to 4 - 2" HD-8s on my 302 small block Ford engine.

4Carbs1.jpg Click on picture to enlarge.

Note also: all electronic, no distributor, ignition and the A/C compressor.

Also running a 4 speed automatic-overdrive transmission, stock Healey 4.10:1 differential and 60 spoke wire wheels.

Tim

Tim&Sherry3.jpg Click on picture to enlarge

stuntflyr

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Modded Healeys seem to be a lot like old WWII airplanes. Many fighters wouldn't exist if they weren't modified for racing in the 40's, as well many rare bombers wouldn't exist if they weren't converted to executive transport.
I figure that many cars were saved that would have gone to the junkyard had they not been a hot-rodder's project. I have a 327 Healey Jamaican and the whole reason that it exists today is that the original owner of the project went to the junkyard and hauled a 100-6 wreck home for it's fiberglass makeover. 44 years after it's junkyard rescue it's a licensed motor vehicle.
In high school a buddy had a 327 E-Type coupe that we thought was just great even though his grandfather and my father were big Jag Club guys. In fact some of the best looking Jags were XJ12C's with V-8's and the vinyl roof peeled off and repainted in some very nice colors, as opposed to some of the hideous hues offed by BL. I guess I'm more tolerant of the "heresy"!
Chris...

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Yeh man, if you can build it, build it. but do keep a few good ones around for originality. I my case, my Healey wasn't very good or very original when I got it. Wow, 4 HD-8s, that's cool. I'm running HD-8s on my BJ7. They bring alittle bit to the party.