• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Donald Healey would like it... Purists won't!

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well from an economic point of view I would not do it. From an engineering point of view it is The Bees Knees.--Keoke- /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Money_Pit said:
Changing the rear plugs would fall right in line with some of the funner jobs on a Healey!
DT
When I put a small block Chevy in a BN2 in 1959, there were small hinged access doors in the foot wells. Rear plugs were changed from inside the car.
D

AweMan

Jedi Knight
That Healey HAS to be a hoot to dirve!
A fellow I once worked for had a 1948 ford pickup with one of those souped up Olds Rocket engines in it, Even with the auto trans it was one asphalt eatin` bugger! Soooooo much funnnnnnnnn soooooo many tickets!
Took me several years to get affordable insurance rates after driving that thing for a while!

Editor_Reid

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
COOL! Great-looking mods, and I bet that it is absolutely a hoot to drive. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif

I love the way that the entire front half of the visible engine compartment is taken up by provisions for engine cooling. Someone knew what they were doing...

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Editor_Reid said:
COOL! Great-looking mods, and I bet that it is absolutely a hoot to drive. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/driving.gif
A "hoot" with some limitations -too much throttle on wet pavmet even in fouth gear, resulted in wheel spin. The BN2 four sped OD transmision, the axke strength & reliabiliy were up to the job & priovded very high top speed.

Down side was a very hot passenger compartment.

Obviouy my BN2 now has a stock block.
D

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
I'm a little astonished that Mr. Schenck would keep the original wheels and brakes. Also, he kept the original leaf springs in the rear, and the Panhard rod. With the stock 12 gallon gas tank he won't be traveling too far. I'm not trying to be critical just curious. No, I wouldn't do it, but yes, I'd love to drive it once.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cool.gif

tiga2

Jedi Trainee
..... have no problems at all changing the plugs on the SBC.

Attachments

• 5344-Alt2.JPG
    5344-Alt2.JPG
    81.7 KB · Views: 169
BritishV8 said:
Okay, I know this car isn't going to suit everyone's tastes, but I'm kinda curious to hear what y'all think of it.

Tom Schnerk's Healey was converted to V8 power FIFTY YEARS AGO this June: https://www.britishv8.org/Other/TomSchnerk.htm
britishv8, yes donald would have loved it in deed, thats why he met with carol shelby to collaborate on a kinda "cobra" venture with the healey too bad it didnt pan out, yes ifin i had an extree healey layin round without a motor i just might do it. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/savewave.gif

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
Editor_Reid said:
Dave Russell said:
Obviouy my next BN2 now cariies a sock bock.

DR, what's a "sock bock"? Isn't that one of those exotic German beers? /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thirsty.gif
Hi Reid,
Yes it is. Few folks are familiar with the more exotic beers. Add one to your stamp collection.
D

OP
B

BritishV8

Johnny said:
I'm a little astonished that Mr. Schenck would keep the original wheels...
Randy_Gay said:
Don't you wonder how he keeps those 48 spokers out of the trash bin?
Better photos are needed to show it, but I understand he's welded steel plates in behind the spokes to reinforce the wheels, and also he's got hidden lugs holding the wheels on (so he isn't relying on the original splines. That's shown in the third-to-last scanned sketch, but it's not very readable.) Obviously, all that's a compromise of easy serviceability in favor of keeping the old-school look. What a look!

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Some years ago I had the experience of driving a 100/6 fitted with a 260 Ford V8 from a "compact" Fairlane. At the time I thought it was lethal! I only drove it "round the block" and now wish I could have taken more time to assess the performance (by that I mean I wish I had gone to a quiet back street for some fun).

AweMan

Jedi Knight
Randy_Gay said:
Accelerating VERY carefuly im sure!

Cottontop

Jedi Warrior
BritishV8 said:
Johnny said:
I'm a little astonished that Mr. Schenck would keep the original wheels...
Randy_Gay said:
Better photos are needed to show it, but I understand he's welded steel plates in behind the spokes to reinforce the wheels, and also he's got hidden lugs holding the wheels on (so he isn't relying on the original splines. That's shown in the third-to-last scanned sketch, but it's not very readable.) Obviously, all that's a compromise of easy serviceability in favor of keeping the old-school look. What a look!

As a V8 Modified Austin Healey owner myself
https://ntahc.org/modifiedhealeys/Photos/1Moran/FullStoryAll1.html

and the web master of the Modified AH Registry web site - https://ntahc.org/modifiedhealeys , also being retired and having an RV, I have had the opportunity to meet many Modified Healey owners and see and drive their cars.

I have ridden in and driven Tom's car. Although not noted in the article, he has a 1937 3-speed LaSalle top-loader transmission. Except for the newer paint job, Tom's car is exactly as it was when he first modified it nearly 50 years ago. It is a masterpiece of 50's retro-technology. Tom's car is probably one of the earliest of the V8 Modified Healeys.

Here is Tom's web page on the Modified AH web site. Take a look at it.
https://ntahc.org/modifiedhealeys/Photos/84Schnerk/Schnerk1.htm

As mentioned, Tom does indeed have 52 spoke, not 48 spoke wheels.

Here is a close up picture of the additional spokes( 1/8" x 3" wide steel plates) welded between the wheel rim and the hub. As also noted (not shown here) he has Grade 8 bolts through holes in the wheel hub and splined hub.
https://ntahc.org/op/TomsWheel1.jpg

Over the past 50 years, Tom's driveline has put down so much torque that his frame has actually twisted. Note the top if the windsheld is not parallel with the rear cockipit surround and the rear bumper.
https://ntahc.org/modifiedhealeys/Photos/84Schnerk/Schnerk5.jpg

Tom is a great guy and while you may not agree with his modifications, he is indeed a ground breaker.

Tim - https://ntahc.org/op/Tom&Tim.jpg

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Looks to me like the grade 8 bolts have come loose from the wheel!

By the way, I'd like ask if there is a healey out there that the windshield top and bumper actually line up??

tomtork

Freshman Member
Hi Guys.............I just ran across this seven year old thread regarding my Olds Healey! Lotsa banter regarding the rejection of the car's concept and implementation by the Healey purists. Well in Sept 2006 I wrote a somewhat detailed article "Olds Healey 50th Anniversary Recollections" published in Larry Varley's website. It discusses the rational and approaches I took to implement the engine swap and all the nasty problems that were solved in order to accommodate the beastly big block Olds.

Of particular interest was the wire-wheel modifications and the Healey Purest reaction when the Olds Healey was accepted to be judged in the local Palos Verdes Concours D'Elegance car show. I've included Larry's link, it could be an interesting read............Tom

https://www.acmefluid.com.au/larry/oldshealey.html