• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Does your neighborhood howl

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Doc. I wonder how BCF members actually deal with the things I'm experiencing now. It's really put a dark cloud over me.

The declining value of my house due to "neighbor blight", the damage to my MG, the all-too-frequent noise...

Tom M.

OP
TRMark

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
Does my neighborhood howl? Ah, let me count the ways ...

Neighbors across the road spend their evenings and weekends jacking up pickups, adding massive oversize wheels, removing mufflers, and modifying engines so they spew black smoke and flames from the tailpipes. Also specialize in replacing stock horns with "Dukes of Hazard" klaxons that play Dixie. And of course display the "Confederate Battle Flag" on their cars and garage. You can guess what political sign they've got in the front yard, next to riding mower they wrecked while racing it.

Tom M.

If we assigned the bad behavior to a skin color, national origin or sexual orientation instead of a political affiliation; would you think that to be appropriate? This is not proper or logical. Sorry for the decline in your neighborhood, but your city has laws and a code enforcement department, organize and go after the miscreants. That is what I have done and will continue to do.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
If we assigned the bad behavior to a skin color, national origin or sexual orientation instead of a political affiliation; would you think that to be appropriate? This is not proper or logical. Sorry for the decline in your neighborhood, but your city has laws and a code enforcement department, organize and go after the miscreants. That is what I have done and will continue to do.

Thanks Mark. What did you actually do to stop rowdy behavior, noise, trash, ATVs, motorcycle groups, uncontrolled kids, etc.? That's what I need advice on.

Tom M.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom,
Do you know if there are any deed restrictions in your sub-division or neighborhood? There may well be restrictions already in place that deal with some of the problems you're encountering... Maybe have a look if it's been too many years since you have read it. Just a thought.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Elliot. None of the annoyances are illegal or contra-ordinance activities. Other than my east-side neighbors who are renters, all the other properties are occupied by their owners, for at least 20 years. The renters have four kids (6, 6, 8, and newborn); they're not damaging things intentionally, and I show the problems to the parents. When I sold my 1958 Rambler, the new owner came to pick it up. The kids ran by playing with sticks like swords - and put a long deep scratch into the Rambler's drive side door. Seller said "fix it or give me back $1000". Fixing it would cost more than $1000. Seems I can't win. These days many young'ns grow up but stay with their parents now, don't get jobs, and just "have fun". That applies to every family near me, except the west side neighbors. Parents give them what they want, parents do the yard work, parents pay the bills, and parents let the kids do whatever they want.

We've reported the motorcycle "parades" many times, and troopers always say they'll take a look. But imagine one trooper car confronting a line of 30 motorcycles. You get one, and the 29 others just zoom around. Happens all over the eastern part of the state (we're most villages, not cities).

No town noise ordinances, no town "land use" restrictions. These issues have been going on for over ten years; people keep saying "it won't last - just be patient". That isn't working!

I appreciate the suggestions!
Tom M.

Country flag
If I'd behaved like that as a kid, my father would have boxed my ears. He was the small town city attorney, assistant county prosecutor and Korean war vet. Rarely had to discipline one of us because we knew how to behave around others. My grandmother who spend her adult life as a high school teacher wouldn't have put up with it either.

The current younger generation, times change and many, not all, are less interested in not intruding on other's peace and quiet. Some of the young 20 somethings I work are see those of us with more experience as a hinderance. Had one youngster once tell me to hurry up and retire or die or something since she saw me as blocking her road to the top. I was early 40s at the time and she'd been there about 6 months. Was not pleased when I said neither option was going to happen anytime seen...

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Mike. Wonder if today's "let's use Instagram and Snapchat instead of the old fashioned talking to each other" has something to do with it.

I see a similar thing with my interns at Sturbridge. They want all the training materials digitized and put online, so they don't have to do research and work with trained staff. That way they can just scan and swipe, instead of reading and thinking.

oy

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Called the Sheriff's Office on my local pack last night. First was a party, rap-c**p so loud I had to turn volume up on my TV two feet in front of me to hear it. After the party broke up sometime around midnight, screaming between male and female "adults" ensued and they carried it across the street where it got physical. By the time the Deputies arrived, the male had driven off and the female was in the house and didn't answer the door.

Animals. Collectively th' pile of 'em may have the I.Q. of a grebil.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom,

When you call the cops,say "I think one of them had a gun".
Sometimes that will get a better response.
Of course,when the cops show up,say " I thought they had a gun,but
I might be mistaken".

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Called the Sheriff's Office on my local pack last night. First was a party, rap-c**p so loud I had to turn volume up on my TV two feet in front of me to hear it. After the party broke up sometime around midnight, screaming between male and female "adults" ensued and they carried it across the street where it got physical. By the time the Deputies arrived, the male had driven off and the female was in the house and didn't answer the door.

Animals. Collectively th' pile of 'em may have the I.Q. of a grebil.
Now don't be disparaging gerbils. They're cute.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Doug. Certainly might help when calling the cops!

Have any suggestions for the ATVs, garbage, noisy pickups with black smoke and flames, fireworks, declining property value, etc.?

I spent 30 years improving my property - that's my only big investment. With that going downhill, and the damage to my MGTD, I'm getting close to giving up.

yeesh

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I guess I'm just lucky, I only have neighbors on one side of me and they aren't a problem.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Time for action Tom. Roll out one of those planes from the Air Museum and we can organize a BCF pee bombing run.
It’s probably best for nighttime sorties.
Get the gps coordinates of the offending neighbors and get some small zip lock bags for pee (I mean ordnance) and off we go :hammer: :devilgrin:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Randall said:
Now don't be disparaging gerbils. They're cute.

My apologies to all gerbils. How about substituting: "Gherkin pickle"?

Tom,

When you call the cops,say "I think one of them had a gun".
Sometimes that will get a better response.
Of course,when the cops show up,say " I thought they had a gun,but
I might be mistaken".

Many years ago I gave a pal a "silent alarm" for his Camaro. He lived on the second floor of a small apartment building. One evening the "pager" went off, he looked outside and saw some fool trying to get into his car. He called local LEO's and told them of the issue and ended saying: "...and I'm armed." This pal is over 6' tall, went down and basically yanked the perp from the car and slammed his head into the top of the car a few times to 'subdue' him. Cops arrive and cuffed th' perp, turn to my pal and say: "You said you were armed!" Whereupon pal holds both arms out and vertical at the elbows. Cops laughed, then told him he took a helluva chance.

Country flag
Thanks Mike. Wonder if today's "let's use Instagram and Snapchat instead of the old fashioned talking to each other" has something to do with it.

I see a similar thing with my interns at Sturbridge. They want all the training materials digitized and put online, so they don't have to do research and work with trained staff. That way they can just scan and swipe, instead of reading and thinking.

oy

When I was young in my career in IT, if something didn't work I wanted to know why it didn't so would dig through documentation to understand. That led to me once being told I was the expert on certain software the company ran since I always had an answer to problems. My response was that this was because I, looked it up when I didn't know and anyone should be capable of RTFM problem solving. And now days with the younger crowd they don't even care why it might not work, just provide an answer and if the same problem occurs next week for the same person, they have no idea how to connect it to what I may have already documented for them.

Brings up a story, I once had a 20 something send me an error message to which I sent back what it means. When asked how I knew that I said I had looked it up since I wasn't familiar with the exact code. Looked up how, was the next question. Being a bit of a smarta**, I said, don't you know how to Google things?? The final response was him saying that of course he did, but that everyone knows Google can't be used to lookup error messages. And these are the people who will eventually be responsible for many of use when we're old and frail...

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Mike - great story. Do you suppose the "why bother - just give me the answer" attitude stems from parents making life easy for their kids, so the kids rarely have to do things themselves?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
It certainly is a pre-Google thing, as well. Whether it's a software/hardware issue or one with a "classic" car. Both former partner and I in the restoration biz STILL feel a compulsion to find out what failed with a part. I did it with a Bosch relay last week. Took it apart to see if I could clean the contacts in the relay... even though there was a replacement sitting on my bench. He did same with a Jag E-Type fuel pump with the new replacement right beside him. We talked about it and laughed, deciding we're dinosaurs. Swore the NEXT time we encounter the urge to "just FIX it!" we'll STOP and bin the old bit and replace it. We'll see how that goes.

Computer issues are the same with me. Three clients with three different niche software packages. Been doing this long enough that I've a good relationship with the guys who wrote the code originally, back in the early days of DOS and Linux. When a machine goes down or an error appears, it's: "Call Doc!" Even though I've meticulously kept notes and documentation on their premises, they refuse to first look in there for a solution. Don't get me wrong, I'll take the money. And I understand the cost-benefit issue. But where's the curiosity? The satisfaction of solving a problem or being more self-sufficient?

It's a puzzle. And the concern over "old and frail" care is on my mind as well.