Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
Hi guys - was looking at a Mini tech magazine and they had an article on fuel pumps. They suggested that cam driven pumps aren't capable of keeping up on modified/high performance engines.
I would'nt think so. My engine is slightly modified and the carbs were running REAL rich. Black soot on the back of the car, smell of fuel out the tail pipe, The car ran good, but then a friend was behind me and we almost choked him to death going up to Mt. Hamilton. He complained and we adjusted the carbs leaner, ALOT. My point is that I think that the cam driven pumps will pump enough fuel no matter what. Race engines might be another story.
I dunno. It wasn't too hard to measure the flow of my electric pump, but measuring the flow from a stock pump would seem to be a little harder to do. Especially at max RPMs.
15 gph doesn't seem like all that much, to me. 15*4 = 60, so that is a quart a minute, or 30 seconds for a pint ... that's about the standard I use for checking the stock pump at idle. I'm pretty sure it will deliver a lot more than that at higher rpm.
I'm using 3 Strombergs, all at stock factory settings with no problems. When tuning the carbs, at one point, they were all set very rich and I had no concerns. But I'm using a bit less than 15 gpm.
I've never measured flow, although I'm sure Randall is correct and I agree that the stock diaphragm pump is adequate for street conditions. I also agree that it is fair to assume that the pump will be even more efficient at higher rpm - to a point. I don't know what that point is (certainly greater than 5000) but at very high rpms the diaphragm pumps seem to lose efficiency and starvation occurs. Tom
I agree the point certainly exists (although I don't know what it is either). It's basically similar to valve float, at some point the spring isn't strong enough to overcome the inertia of the lever & diaphragm before the cam comes around again. And unlike the valves, you can't just go to a stronger spring because that also changes the pressure.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.