• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Defective Part Notice:

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The Facet is an external pump, it doesn't go inside the tank. Although the optimum location is down low and near the tank, it will lift fuel 18" or more, so it will work fine mounted in a convenient location in the engine compartment.

Model 40105 is suitable for all Triumphs with carburetors, whether ZS, SU or Weber. The exception would be heavily modified motors capable of over 150 bhp output (which need more fuel flow).

I would not suggest installing in parallel with your mechanical pump. If you do want to use the Facet as a backup, leave it disconnected until you need it, then pull the lines off the mechanical pump and put them on the Facet. Tie-wrap it down, run a temporary hot wire to the coil or battery, and continue home. I carry one in the spare tire well, and this technique has gotten me home.

If you want a permanent installation, just use the Facet in place of your mechanical pump. As noted, blanking plates (to close off the hole in the side of the engine block) are available. If you can't find the GM one locally, there is a fellow here in So CA making them specifically for Triumphs. And shipping to Puerto Rico should be only about $5.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
I purchased a Carter electric fuel pump from redline, I think it was around 100.00 but its low pressure for 30 DCOE webers, it even mounded in the trunk where the mounting place for the PI models Electric pump goes. I would suggest a pressure switch added with a T fitting at the block where the oil pressure gauge pressure swith is so the pump only runs when there is oil pressure,

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
Dale, did you install Grose Jet valves, alot better than the stock needle valve, they should hold the extra pressure.( maybe your float adjustment is off) In my opinion the original AC pump is still the way to go, TRF sells replica AC pumps for $89, add that to the Grose jets and your problem will be fixed.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I would suggest a pressure switch added with a T fitting at the block where the oil pressure gauge pressure swith is so the pump only runs when there is oil pressure,

Got one if any one wants it.

dklawson

Yoda
Grose Jets are a whole 'nother issue. I had them on both the Mini and the Triumph. During the past year I've removed them from both. They stuck on the TR and leaked on the Mini. I'm back to running Viton tipped float valves on both.

Hondo, which Carter pump did you buy? I've been considering replacing my Facet "brick" pump with the Carter P60504 inline pump (about $55 from Summit. ) I had one on the GT6 when I first put it back on the road. (This REALLY ties into this thread. ) There was so much rust scale in the GT6 fuel tank that it plugged the filter I had inline before the Carter pump and it ran dry. The pump uses the fuel for cooling. Without fuel flow the Carter overheated and died before my float bowls went dry. Nonetheless, I've always liked the sound of the inline Carter.

ALLAN

Jedi Warrior
dklawson said:
Grose Jets are a whole 'nother issue. I had them on both the Mini and the Triumph. During the past year I've removed them from both. They stuck on the TR and leaked on the Mini. I'm back to running Viton tipped float valves on both.

I think for most the opposite has been true, it made a big difference for me when I switched to Grose jets and I never had the problems you mentioned. They solved about 1/2 of the problems I had with the ZSs but not the other half so now I run Webers with out any problems----ahh-but there is another debate!!?

OP
R

RonMacPherson

I had Grose (gross, in my opinion) on my 2nd TR6. They were intermittent failing items. Intermittent failures are SO much fun to try to pinpoint and isolate. Finally took them off (after about 8 months of haranguing fuel system) and went back to Needle and seat. Did some parts shopping at my local parts store(with carb parts book and got some Viton equipped needles. Now the vitons run in all my vehicle(except the fi Honda). I believe that you can even specify and acquire viton needle and seats from the big 3.

So I recommend staying with needle and seat and avoiding Grose jet hassles.

tomshobby

Yoda
Last year I bought a pump made in Italy by BCD Torino. #1697/14C I bought it from World Wide Auto in Madison, WI just a couple miles from my door step.

I also did not remember where I got it from and ordered the Facet pump before I looked. That will still work out. If this pump is not good I will soon have an alternative. I did not check the pressure before taking my engine out but at it here on my desk this is one well made pump.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
RonMacPherson said:
So I recommend staying with needle and seat and avoiding Grose jet hassles.
/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/iagree.gif I've fixed several cars (for other people) now by pitching the Grose Jets. As noted, they don't always cause problems; but sometimes they do. Because of the larger cross-sectional area of the valve, they are more sensitive to high fuel pressure and/or heavy floats than the stock float valves.

Granted, they should last longer than the stock valves ... but the stock valves last plenty long enough, IMO. And the Viton-tipped replacements (which sometimes come in rebuild kits) last even longer.

IMO, Grose Jets are mostly marketing hype, a solution without a problem.