• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Deer hunting in Maine...

jjw

Well... I made my introductions in the New Members forum, so I figure I'll jump on in...

After a 20 year on again, off again search, I finally found my Stag in the wilds of Maine... well, not really the wilds... Went and picked it up on Valentines day.

pdr0584kc5.jpg

dscf0289ql9.jpg

Its a solid car just in need of a little "sorting" (aren't they all). A '71 with the original 3.0L eight and a 4 speed. It joins a 73 MGB and 74 TR6 already in the garage... Jim W.

prb51

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Jim,
Smart looking car....it is a great time to buy just now isn't it!
Welcome to the TR side of the forum and keep us appraised of the sorting. I'm sure some of the Stag owners will offer any/all assistance.

Dale

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I've read where they had a lot of trouble with the wire wheels on the early Stags. But, they sure look right on yours. Very nice, good luck and have fun.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Nice find - congratulations!

Don - I know of a really solid Stag project in the Denver area. Visualize, visualize...

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
Nice looking ride! Congrats on being one of the few, the proud, the sitting on the side of the road club! Just kidding, my Stag has never stranded me yet. You may want to get in touch with StagByTriumph, AKA Glen. He's one of the big wigs over @ TSCUSA.org. Give him yer info and it'll make his day!
grin.gif
Is that an original color? If so, what is it? I don't ever think I've seen it. Anymore info, history, etc?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Don - I know of a really solid Stag project in the Denver area. Visualize, visualize... [/QUOTE]

More info? Has it been on Craigslist recently?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Likewise, welcome to the club, Jim!

Misery loves company, and all that :laugh:

Is that color Damson? Hard to tell on a computer screen, but looks like it to my eyes.

Wire wheels are definitely a PITA, but oh so pretty. Be sure to regrease the spines at least once a year, as it's amazing how fast they can bind up; and a flat on the side of the road is no time to learn about it. Don't forget the knockoff threads as well. I had to stop on the way to VTR 2005 to buy some new front tires, and we had a heck of a time getting the LF knockoff knocked off. Had to work in shifts! And it hadn't been on there a year since it was brand new.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Where are you at in Mass.?
BTW - looks like a nice car.

- Doug

tr8todd

Jedi Knight
I know of one in Dartmouth and one in Acushnet. I've also seen one parked in Scituate, but never met the owner. If you are in eastern Mass, you should get to know these guys. They have probably done most of what you are about to go thru with your car. I'm supposed to weld some floor patch panels into the car from Acushnet. It will be my first experience with a Stag.

V

vagt6

Congrats on the Stag purchase, JJT.

I think the pricing on Stags is bound to escalate. Beautiful styling, power, lovely cars. And once the Triumph V/8 is sorted, it's a pretty good engine.

Please keep us posted on your restoration. Please post photos if at all possible. A well-documented resto with photos here would be a real treat for everyone!

Good luck, keep the shiny side up. :thumbsup:

OP
J

jjw

Hi... Thanks for the comments... The color is "Damson"... Its been resprayed in its life once (the original color). The car was in Maine for about 3 years, but barely driven. Before that it was in Illinois. It came with a box full of trophies from the late '80s through early '90s. Joined the TSCUSA recently... I'll have to contact "Glen"... I have many, many questions... I noticed you're in Loveland... I used to live just outside of Boulder until a job took me back east... Jim W.

OP
J

jjw

Hi... I'm in a little town called Pepperell... its right on the MA/NH line...

OP
J

jjw

Yes... hopefully I'll get to meet up with some of the Northeast Stag folks during the driving season... Its interesting that in the last few months there were no less than 4 or 5 Stags for sale within a hundred mile radius of me... Most I didn't want to touch... Jim W.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
frankenstang57 said:
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Don - I know of a really solid Stag project in the Denver area. Visualize, visualize...

More info? Has it been on Craigslist recently? [/QUOTE]

Was up on VTR - PM sent.

71MKIV

Jedi Warrior
Dang it,
You owe me a new keyboard,

I just drooled all over this one.

Well done. My Spit will be Damson when it's all said and done. Prettiest color in my estimation.

:laugh: