• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dead Computer

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
I went to my ukulele meetup tonight. Hope I didn't do any damage. Played some songs from the 70s and 80s I never heard before and one blugrass number. Have a bocce match tomorrow night but will have to throw lefty.

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Update - played bocce Wednesday night right handed and won both matches. We're in first place. Biopsy report came back negative for melanoma cells in the surrounding tissue. Arm wrap came off but still have to keep a loose bandage on the stitches. They come out on July 10th. Took the Alfa out this afternoon to pick up a piece of swordfish for dinner. Warmed up quickly to 160 and stayed there although it was about 90F today. Car shifted perfectly-for an Alfa- with a smooth clutch takeup and the vent window handle hasn't fallen off yet. I sent the mechanic Jon Wood an email thanking him for his good work and I intend to give my dermatologist a bottle of good wine when I see her Tuesday. Guys(and gals) - pick a good dermatologist and see him/her at least once a year for a full body scan. My Florida dermatologist either missed it or it had not yet come full-blown. Those things spread fast and can kill you.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
" ... pick a good dermatologist and see him/her at least once a year ... "

Amen to that! Two "bumps" on my forehead that I thought were mosquito bites, weren't. If your skin is the largest single organ on the body, makes sense to maintain it carefully.

Tom M.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Glad to hear both YOU and the Alfa are working as they should.

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Really glad to hear the biopsy report was negative!

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Still under repair. I did call the shop for an update but no response as yet. I hope they can fix it. I don't want to lay out 400-600 for a new box.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Decided to build a new desk top as the one I use is getting very old. Runs XP and seems to have the not responding problem a lot. I am ordering parts at the moment.
I hope to combine 2 desk tops into one. I had one that I did some video editing on and the other for everything else. Now one system should be able to handle everything. Gone are the days when you could do nothing else while the video was rendering. A process that could take several hours.

I have been watching this guy build systems. I am using one of his parts lists.

David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q27YrwBDPQo

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
David said:
I have been watching this guy build systems. I am using one of his parts lists.

Only thing I saw to cause concern was that he assembled the M/B on the box it came in. IMHO, it should have been on the countertop instead: As the cooler and RAM are put in place the board is subject to some flexing on that box top, not good.

His choice of components is spot-on, I've been using Gigabyte's Intel socket boards for five or six years now to build clients' servers and workstations. High degree of reliability.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
It is just Plug and Pray. Soldering them together takes skill.

I have built all but one of my desktops over the years. My first build a friend gave me a parts list then after that I figured out what I needed to get my Video editing done. It has been a few years since my last build and when I started looking at components I was lost again. Watching Carey Holzman's You Tube builds I have come up with a parts list. Parts on order.

David

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Computer update. Not hearing anything, I visited the shop today. The new part was installed but no joy. He's going to try cannibalizing another computer that uses the same components and if that doesn't work.....hello new computer. But he says he can transfer the hard drive contents to the new unit. I hope. That Dell was only 4 years old. I hope the laptop I'm using doesn't quit as well.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
My parts have been arriving over the last week. Was still waiting for the CPU. Asked my wife if there was an update on delivery. She has the Amazon account so it was in her name. When she checked UPS they said it had been delivered and signed for on a day neither of us were at home. It was no where to be found.
Called Amazon as the claim had to go through them not UPS. While talking to the Amazon person they said it was delivered with a package we had received. Big flat box with a flip chart in it. Then they say it was packed together with the chart. I go out and look under all the packing at the bottom of the 2' by 2' by 3" box and there in the corner is the CPU box,. No wrapping around it just covered by that brown paper packing. If I had opened the box at the other end that would have been the first thing I found.
I had nearly taken the trash off the day before including the cardboard boxes.

A close call.

David

OP
P

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
Still no desktop. Not looking good. This shop - PC Warehouse - has never kept one of my conputers for more than 2-3 days with a reasonable repair price. I fear the worst. On the good side, my stitches came out Wednesday and I played 18 holes of mediocre golf yesterday.

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I have never thought that paying for balls, then hitting then and trying to find them was a good investment....that’s why I don’t play.