• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Dayton or Dunlop Wire Wheels ??? What is best

Country flag
The Dayton site calls it "Perma-True™ Technology." The site is ambiguous as to whether all their wheels have this or not. I'd like to know, I may be in the market again soon.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
At the risk of incurring the wrath of "Keoke", I have fitted MWS (Dunlop)chrome 60 spoke wheels on my BN1. The price difference here is much greater between this brand & Dayton. I have nothing but praise for these wheels. My wife remarked that the car is smoother to ride in, too! Two years and several interstate trips have shown no deterioration in the chrome finish and no loose or broken spokes. The BN1 has no clearance issues with the brake drums with 60 spoke wheels. The wider BN2 drums are apparently a problem.
I decided on the MWS product because over fifteen years ago I needed one new wheel and I bought an Indian made, 48 spoke, painted Dunlop wheel from a local MG parts supplier. This wheel has never given any trouble so I decided that I could trust the product when the time came to fit the stronger wheels.

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Further to my post: I didn't have the wheels "trued" before fitting the new tyres, as there is nobody in my area who services wire wheels.
MWS chrome wheels have stainless steel spokes.

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
I have a BN6 with 60 spoke wheels, the stress while turning hard has broken my spokes, it's the front brake drums. Try for a wheel with an offset, or you might try 48 or 72 spokes, but w/72's tires might rub fenders. I am in the process of contacting hendrix wheels, you might also try them. Moss has a wheel guide, see "wire wheel notes for austin healey" in wheels section, good read.

Tadek

Has anyone seen (or have) Borrani wheels? They make them for Healeys too, although the price is on the steep side..

Tadek

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tadek said:
Has anyone seen (or have) Borrani wheels? They make them for Healeys too, although the price is on the steep side..

Tadek

Yep But a Borrani wire wheel is the finest wheel your money can buy.

All you good folks that have good luck with Dun lop wheels the gods are surely with you.

If you want a good wire wheel buy Dayton with polished SS spokes.

Failure to follow along these guidelines, "Pan" , will incur the wrath of Keoke Even if you live in OZ :D--

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
Wheelwright;
I was told that healey surgeons has an "off set" 60 spoke wheel that can fit in a drum brake system. They would not tell where the wheel comes from. Do you have an "off set " 60 spoke wheel that will work for drum brakes?? What are the pros and cons of "offset wheels?
I would rather not use a 72 spoke wheel, they seem too busy.
Thanks for the info. on the tubeless tires.

Country flag
Wheelwright (Tom), can I tell which wheels (Dunlap or Dayton) by looking at them? I replaced two of them about 6 years ago through Moss and they match the other two even to the gray color. There is a sticker still on the hubs that looks like a red and black oval. One was out of true and had to be sent back before the guy would mount tires them.

BabaKahawa

Jedi Knight
tahoe healey:

I found this info. in the healey restoration guide, page 146:

<span style="font-weight: bold">"Restorer's Tip: The Dayton Corp. makes similar wheels to the Dunlop, though these differ in appearance from the Dunlop wheels, most noticeably in the depth of the inner-most recess channel of the rim."</span>

Hope this helps a little.

tkamd73

Freshman Member
I don't have a Healey, but I did put Dayton 72 spoke wheels on my 73 MGB
in 1995. They were tubeless with chrome rims and stainless spokes. They
came perfectly trued, have never leaked a bit of air, and still look
brand new 30,000+ miles later. I have never had to adjust a single spoke,
and after mounting the tyres, they are easily balanced with a few lead
weights epoxied to the inside of the rim. The original Dunlops that came
with the car new, were crap by comparison, and they were the ones made in
England, not India, or wherever they make them now. Hope this helps.
tkamd73

judow

Darth Vader - R.I.P
Keoke said:
Tadek said:

Tadek

Yep But a Borrani wire wheel is the finest wheel your money can buy.

All you good folks that have good luck with Dun lop wheels the gods are surely with you.

If you want a good wire wheel buy Dayton with polished SS spokes.

Failure to follow along these guidelines, "Pan" , will incur the wrath of Keoke Even if you live in OZ :D--

:iagree:

wheelguy

Country flag
I have been working with wire wheels for over 15 years. Dayton has Always been my first choice. The chrome finish is highly superior and their PermaTrue spokes now make retruing a thing of the past.Where everyone can get in trouble with any wire wheel they buy is finding a installer with the right equipment and knowledge on handling wire wheels. I have seen perfect wheels out of the box bent by the wrong tire mounting equipment.
Then to straighten it out it must be adjusted by a expert. If they were made tubless having to retrue will break the seal and a tube is needed to keep it from leaking. Dayton will be your best choice for new wheels, but be sure you get them mounted by someone that you know will not mess up your new wheel by mounting and balancing incorrectly. Always ask you other club members if there is someone in your area that they trust. You do not want to have your new wheel out of a box from Dayton to become a boat anchor by Bubba at the corner service station.Also remember that Daytons are built in Dayton Ohio and it is easy to call and talk to someone who is a expert on your wheel and answer any questions you may have. R.Allen Hendrix

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Allen--

Hi and I see that your post is your first so welcome to BCF!
I am glad you are with us and that we will have the benefit of your very qualified input.

For those who know Allen he is one of the good guys and I have bought wheels and tires from Allen several times over the years and have always been satisfied with his services and products. Sometimes Allen could come up with stuff that others could not locate.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
I know I'm not a Healey guy, but I recently put Dayton's on my 67 Series I EType. These are per-original 72-spoke with Stainless spokes. I have not drivin on them yet so really can't say anything about them other than they "appear" to be very well made and they look super on my car.

NapoleonV

wheelguy said:
I have been working with wire wheels for over 15 years. Dayton has Always been my first choice. The chrome finish is highly superior and their PermaTrue spokes now make retruing a thing of the past.Where everyone can get in trouble with any wire wheel they buy is finding a installer with the right equipment and knowledge on handling wire wheels. I have seen perfect wheels out of the box bent by the wrong tire mounting equipment.
Then to straighten it out it must be adjusted by a expert. If they were made tubless having to retrue will break the seal and a tube is needed to keep it from leaking. Dayton will be your best choice for new wheels, but be sure you get them mounted by someone that you know will not mess up your new wheel by mounting and balancing incorrectly. Always ask you other club members if there is someone in your area that they trust. You do not want to have your new wheel out of a box from Dayton to become a boat anchor by Bubba at the corner service station.Also remember that Daytons are built in Dayton Ohio and it is easy to call and talk to someone who is a expert on your wheel and answer any questions you may have. R.Allen Hendrix

Hello all. I am about to order some Dayton wheels. If anyone knows of a good installer for the wire wheels please share. I'm in Yorba Linda, CA. Thanks.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
I would recommend the guy you just quoted. He was a man of his word when I dealt with him. Followed up with a phone call when he said he would. (I had some custom rims made, so it was a couple months to get them over the holidays.) Took the time to help me with the right offset for the rims. Allen may even have a Healey of his own still. :laugh:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Allen isn't local to me either. He didn't stock the tires I wanted so I ordered them from Tire Rack and had them shipped directly to him. Then he mounted, shaved then balanced tbe tires and shipped them to me. I would have bought the tires from Allen, but got them at Tire Rack at his suggestion.