• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Crank Pulley Removal

mylesw

Jedi Hopeful
Hello

I'm having a hard time getting the crank pulley off my engine...and yes, the nut has been removed. I'm using a puller and have got to the point where the yoke of the puller is bending rather that the pulley moving. Any suggestions about how to give the pulley more encouragement to move...?

Thanks

Myles

me61ic

Hello

I'm having a hard time getting the crank pulley off my engine...and yes, the nut has been removed. I'm using a puller and have got to the point where the yoke of the puller is bending rather that the pulley moving. Any suggestions about how to give the pulley more encouragement to move...?

Thanks

Myles

Myles I had your same problem, and I had to give it to the Machine Shop that was going to grind the cylinders and valves on the head for them to take out, I don't know how they took it out but, if you want, I can ask tomorrow, I have to go as they have some more items they are sandblasting for me now.

Ignacio

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
Myles,
The key may have worn a new path into the pulley. Try rotating it in the opposite direction of normal running, with the crankshaft locked up. You can use the bolts holding the damper on as an attachment point. You didn't say if the engine is in the car or not. Good luck.
Bob

OP
M

mylesw

Jedi Hopeful
Engine is still in the car...luckily I have a Welch race chassis which has a removable yoke so I have good access to the pulley.

Myles

G

We always wacked the screw head with a hammer to help things along. That being said, I don't know what type of puller you have nor how it sits on the end of the crank. You gotta be sure that whatever you have won't damage the end of the crank both tightening it up or wacking it. Last thing you want to do is beat up the end of your crank.

me61ic

Myles I had your same problem, and I had to give it to the Machine Shop that was going to grind the cylinders and valves on the head for them to take out, I don't know how they took it out but, if you want, I can ask tomorrow, I have to go as they have some more items they are sandblasting for me now.

Ignacio

I already asked, they said they did not remember having any problem removing. They said if your puller is bending you should maybe get a tougher one, and hit the pulley close to the crankshaft (making sure you don't hit the crankshaft) with a flat chisel to break it free if it does not move...:encouragement:

Good luck

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Heat heat heat is your friend . break out the gas axe .

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The gas axe could be a bit excessive, try a hot air gun. If you have a Welch racing chassis - is it the standard pulley you have or the new Australian harmonic balancer - these can only be put on when warmed up and heat will help remove it if your puller is not up to it.

:cheers:

Bob

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
The gas axe could be a bit excessive, try a hot air gun. If you have a Welch racing chassis - is it the standard pulley you have or the new Australian harmonic balancer - these can only be put on when warmed up and heat will help remove it if your puller is not up to it.

:cheers:

Bob

Not really . A heat gun is too slow all you will end up doing is heating the pulley , the crank and everything around it slowly . you need concentrated high heat quickly to get the pulley to expand faster than the crank and it will pop right off .

stinky60

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Heat the outside dia.of pulley then work the heat closer to the center of puller, if you have some heat gloves it will probably pull off with your hands, trick is to do this quick, as not to get crankshaft hot. It may take several tries. Best of luck, Bob

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Myles, If the center pin on your puller is bending, I would think it's time to use another puller. The way to use the puller is to put tension on the center pin, then strike the center pin hex head with a hammer. Strike the pin toward the crank shaft. This should shock it loose. I hope this helps.
Bobby R