• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Clutch pedal no fluid? 2 -3 years of sitting...

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
JP i think i am getting old. i couldn't find your earlier post about bleeding by removing the master cylinder?

58Custom

Jedi Warrior
Two-person bleeding.

One person in the driver's seat (the Pusher), one under the car (the Bleeder) with a wrench on the bleeder valve, a length of clear tubing over the end of the bleeder and the other end of the tubing in a clear container to catch the waste.

1) The Bleeder opens the bleeder valve and shouts "OK".
2) The Pusher presses the clutch pedal to the floor and holds it there and shouts "OK".
3) The Bleeder closes the bleeder valve and shouts "OK".
4) The Pusher lifts his/her foot not fast but not slow and when the pedal is fully up s/he shouts "OK".
5) Repeat as needed until you see no bubbles in the fluid coming out of the bleeder.

Check the fluid level in the clutch master every fourth or fifth cycle. Do not let it go dry or you will have to start all over.

The tubing needs to be snug over the end of the bleeder valve or it may slip off (messy!) or it may allow bubbles to form at that point that will confuse you.

This is the same process for brakes. I also sometimes make a power bleeder by attaching a hose nipple to a spare MC cap and pressurizing the MC with a 1 gallon garden sprayer so that I can bleed alone. But the two person method is simple to set up, usually results in less mess, and only inconveniences the second person for less than a half hour.

On edit: I have a decidedly 1275 point of view. I have read that the 1500 has it's own issues with slave placement, hose routing and access (from above or below?)and that has been posted about and should be considered.

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
LOL..THANKS TOM! I DON'T THINK IT COULD BE BETTER THAN THAT!!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Blackjokr said:
JP i think i am getting old. i couldn't find your earlier post about bleeding by removing the master cylinder?

Oops, sorry.

Disconnect pedal and remove the Master Cylinder. This is hardest to do the first time as the bolts are tightly located. I used a 1/4 inch drive socket with an extension as the walls on the socket are narrower.

Lift the Master Cylinder higher than the hose and pump the piston. It will get real hard real quick but i shoved a screwdriver in the hole where the clevis Pin goes and wear a glove. Rock the MC back and forth slowly and watch the bubbles come out. Reinstall MC. Once you have it off it takes about two minutes.

It is probably worth adjusting the slave so the the hose is over the bleed nipple so no air gets in the corner, but, either way it is super easy.

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
ah ok..nice...but if I am not mistaken, the MC does the BRAKES AND THE CLUTCH? So will my brakes be out while I am doing this? oh.wait! you mean disconnect the MC from the car frame and cluthc pedal (not the brake pedla), but leave the rest intact...(?)

Lou

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Yes. The MC for the brakes and the MC for the clutch are both mounted to the same bracket over the pedals. They are not connected to each other however. (some cars are) Take the clutch MC off the bracket. This involves removing the clevis pin that connects it to the pedal and two bolts which connect it to the bracket. The bolts are, admittedly, awkwardly placed.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
Actually, it is possible to bleed the slave on a 1500 from the driver's seat, and make it a one person job. Take out the rubber plug on the driver's side of the trans tunnel. Use a little 1/4" ratchet, every extension you have, and a uni joint or wobble joint. Sixteen inches of extension or so, I think. Don't bother with rubber tubes; just thread the extensions through until you reach the bleeder nipple. Then it's a simple matter of pushing the clutch, and giving the bleeder a quick crack. Repeat until firm. JP's way is more thorough, but if you have the extensions, this way is much easier and is worth a try.

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
man you guys give me so many options I do not know what to try first!

Blackjokr said:
man you guys give me so many options I do not know what to try first!

Don't worry. with a 1500 clutch you will most likely get to try them all.

OP
B

Blackjokr

Jedi Warrior
lol..ty !!!