• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A choke cable attachment

bnw

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've got all the parts to hook the choke cable to the front carb of my 57 but I can't figure out the proper location of the parts. Would someone please post a picture of what it looks like? Thanks in advance.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
It is rather counter-intuitive -- and for some cars it may be a matter of what works best (smoothly) vs what is correct.

Perhaps this is what you found, but just in case...

CarbLinkage_zpscf423936.jpg

I usually set up the long linking rod with a bit of pre-load on the rear fitting to overcome the slop in those connections. Perhaps it is just mine that is worn or perhaps they all have a bot of slop in the joints.

af3683

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Below is the best explanation that I've been able to find.

Art

Tech Talk: Throttle Linkage by Fred Thomas

I think one of the reason many TR3 owners have trouble withrich running S/U's is in the linkage connections. The proper set-up, althoughstandard, is missed by what appears to be obvious, but it isnot. Specifically, with the lowerlinkage between the "Jet-Levers", on the rear carb the lever goesbetween the fork on the end of the linkage. Where the mistake is made is on the front carb, where the lever isattached to the "backside" of the fork and not through it, then thelong connecting pin goes through the lever, then the fork. Then, on the outside of the pin you insert your choke cable and washer thentighten the nut to hold the choke cable in place. If your throttle linkage is not attached thisway, the lever does not push the choke back home and rich running carbs are theresult.

https://www.cptc.org/tech_tips/SU Carb Linkage.doc

OP
B

bnw

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have the front carb hooked up "as per", but I also hooked the rear carb the same way. The pin is long enough, and the rod is true to the carb levers, not cocked on an angle. Any problems seen here?

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
Bob Shaller passed away many years ago. I met him in Phoenix about 1984 and he told me all about buying all his TRs brand new. He also described his heroic missions flying B25s from North Africa to Italy from 1943 to 1945. A shell came through into his bomber and that explains why he walked with a limp and had a cane.

I have a picture I took of him at that time so if someone can help explain how to attach a photo, I'll try to send it.

Chuck Murphy

Country flag
Hi All,
I knew the correct way to hook up the front carb to the mixture control rod, but the rear carb connection has me confused. The picture and the write-up by Fred Thomas are different. The rear carb lever in the picture is outside of the mixture control rod fork (as on the front carb lever), and not in the middle of the fork as Fred Thomas says. Which way is correct?
Chuck Murphy

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
..The picture and the write-up by Fred Thomas are different. The rear carb lever in the picture is outside of the mixture control rod fork (as on the front carb lever), and not in the middle of the fork as Fred Thomas says. Which way is correct?

For a tie-breaker I looked in Bob Schaller's book (referenced above) and I see that his suggested set-up matches the set-up quoted by Fred.

That said -- the photo I posted is from the TR3 'Practical Hints' -- the factory publication that was the TR3/3A handbook. So 'both offset to engine side' is the factory way and anything else is someone's (albeit very knowledgeable someones) opinion.

My opinion is to use what works best for your car -- starting by trying it the factory way. I can't even tell you what I ended up using other than it works well.

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
I have seen the picture Geo posted a dozen times and read a half dozen choke cable threads...but I never noticed before that the yokes in the pic are off to the side of the levers! Now I've gotta go check mine out to see if that makes the choke easier to pull.

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Chuck,

You may want to re-read the Fred Thomas article.

The "Rear Carb" lever is shown being located in the center of the Rod & not outside as on the "Front Carb".

I`m going to check mine as well cause I have this same problem!!

Regards, Russ
Hi All,
I knew the correct way to hook up the front carb to the mixture control rod, but the rear carb connection has me confused. The picture and the write-up by Fred Thomas are different. The rear carb lever in the picture is outside of the mixture control rod fork (as on the front carb lever), and not in the middle of the fork as Fred Thomas says. Which way is correct?
Chuck Murphy

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
The choke link to the rear carby isn't really necessary. It still starts right up and the inlet manifold equalizer tube evens out the flow. The pull knob twist and lock function works better and the cable lasts a lot longer.

Then there's the bonus of not having to brace your foot on the dash to pull the choke out. :cool:

Viv

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
It will definitely make the choke work easier. However, sometimes the returning of the jet is still a problem because the little spring around the gland washers are too strong and keeps the jet out a little. The inner spring has to be just right and actually kinda weak just strong enough for some inner tension. I have bought new springs that were wrong either too long or too heavy and they held the jet out a 1/8 after the choke returned. The whole deal is kinda counter intuitive because the spring on the outside on the body of the carb and lever is pulling things back and the inner spring is holding things out; the balance has to be just right.