• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Chassis rotisserie..?

Ian R

I'm thinking of buying a chassis rotisserie to work on my BN4. Connecting it to the front seems easy enough .
Where do I connect to the rear ? The fixings for the rear bumper brackets don't look man-enough. Any ideas ?

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The frame and inner body structure is not all that heavy. If the car is solid in its structure, the rear bumper attachment points - two on each side - should be adequate to support the weight. I don't have good pictures of the attachment points that I used, but that is where I attached the rear rotisserie on the BN4. If the car requires extensive metal repair to the frame and near the attachment points, that work probably should be done before the car goes on the rotisserie. It likely is much easier and better to straighten and align everything before suspending the car on a rotisserie.

resto upside down 3.jpgrotisserie rear.jpg

OP
I

Ian R

The frame and inner body structure is not all that heavy. If the car is solid in its structure, the rear bumper attachment points - two on each side - should be adequate to support the weight. I don't have good pictures of the attachment points that I used, but that is where I attached the rear rotisserie on the BN4. If the car requires extensive metal repair to the frame and near the attachment points, that work probably should be done before the car goes on the rotisserie. It likely is much easier and better to straighten and align everything before suspending the car on a rotisserie.

View attachment 45503View attachment 45502

The main frame is solid right through. The floor under the fuel tank needs replacing.SAM_1685.jpgSAM_1686.jpg

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
My homemade setup. I should add that my frame is a Jule, much stronger than the 50 year old original.

Attachments

• Front.jpg
    Front.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 141
  • Rear.jpg
    Rear.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 126

GeorgeC

Country flag
I just got my BN1 frame attached to the rotisserie...how do I find the center of gravity so it will rotate easily?

RestoreThemAll

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
You can see from my pics that the forks go straight out to the bumper mounts. That connection made the car top heavy. However, I could easily turn it WITH the help of a 2nd person. I could have turned it myself but it's not worth the risk. I'm of average strength. I also had the luxury of a repurposed weight lifting rack. I could move the whole thing up and down.

I'm not an engineer, just a diy guy. I can't help you with the math.:smile:

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The BN4 also was top heavy on my rotisserie. I originally built the rotisserie for a much heavier American car, which balanced much better. To have the Healey properly balanced would have required welding up different attachment pieces at one or both ends. If I did this again with a Healey, I might well take the time to make up those pieces. I could turn it alone, although a second person did make it easier. Although the rotisserie has a friction locking mechanism to prevent unwanted turning, I also drilled holes in the end swivels and inserted heavy pins (bolts) for extra security.

red57

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I used the bumper mounts front and rear (I was lucky in that the rear frame extensions were still good). With the stripped chassis I ended up with the center-line of the rotisserie a little over 4 inches above the top of the main frame - this is a little top heavy with all the bracing I added but is still easy to spin single handed.Imported Photos 00026.jpgImported Photos 00030.jpgImported Photos 00010.jpg

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
I wanted something more compact, so made a rotator that mounts inboard. Front motor mounts used, as well as the rear shock mounting plates. Two modified engine stands, with connecting link.image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg