• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

car bra?

John Morralee

my 63BJ7 is for driving and I drive it a lot: trouble is each stone chip goes directly to my heart.Is there a 'car bra'for our beloved? I have never seen one and cannot imagine how it could be attached if there is.Fortunatly stone chips on ali.are not as bad as on steel but none would be even better! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi John,Yes there is a Bra available for the BJ8 cars.Try putzkes@cox.net for details---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Another option is applying a clear protection film made by 3M. Personally, I don't like the look of the car bras and you need to be careful with paint damage that can occur with rubbing and/or dirt. If you do a google search for Clear Paint Protection Film you can find plenty of info about it. Not sure how well it would wrap around the curves of the front shroud but just something to consider.

Cheers,
John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
John, Thats a valid concern.However, Putzke's bra does not move around and it fits like a Bra Should.--- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif-Keoke

Country flag
I have one from Putkes that I like. Be sure you get the exact one for your model. For example, my Bj8 has only one light below the headlamp so be sure you give exact information. They have many padded clips to keep it from moving and rubbing. My concern, not yet realized, is what happens in hot weather. I would think that it cuts off air flow to hot running engine. We shall see. I treaded it with 303 and the bugs wipe off easily. If I get a temp rise I will make holes in the screen part but others have told me it's fine the way it comes.

curtis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Come on guys. Aren't you being a bit precious? !!
I can't imagine how awful the car must look with a "bra".
Does anyone have a picture? Of course stone chips are sad but that's called patina.
Curtis

Country flag
And they even come in colors to match the car! Actually it's an aquired tasted. I have a luggage rack and badge bar with lights that some don't like. I find them all to be usefull. I take the bra off when not on the fwys and hwys.

Country flag
oh,yeah. Pictures. I've got great pictures of my baby all dressed up but I think I'd need a web sight or something to post. I'm not that computer savvy.

GregW

Yoda
Country flag
Hi TH,
You can upload pictures in the "Members Rides" off the home page of this site. It's right next to the calendar. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
I search around a bit more and actually found a Healey with bra that I like .. so I take back my previous comment about how bad they look. Sorry about that, TH! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif

Healey bra

curtis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I assume these can be ordered from Photo Shop?
I must say the other ones are not quite as bad as I thought.
I don't quite follow the reasoning to keep the bra on for the freeways and off for the small roads . I would have thought there was less chance of a chip from the freeway.
But surely it's like wearing a condom for some of the time and taking it off just before.............!

Curtis (chipped and proud of it)

Country flag
John, I think you need one of those lacy things or you'd get a ticket for obstruction the headlights.
Crutis, a rock does more damage when you are traveling at 60+. Kind of like hitting a wall at 60mph verses 20mph. Besides I've got one coat of cheap, home done paint by the PO.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Curtis, just imagine how awful a Healey's paint can look with the paint all chewed up by road dirt!---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/yesnod.gif--OH! if you ever drive on the freeway in a sleeveless shirt and your arm out the window you will feel the need for the Bra.

curtis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'll give the freeway a miss then! And content myself with some superb winding country roads in France.I wouldn't go on the autoroute here as it's no pleasure just driving in a straight line.Our cars need to be enjoyed,and that,IMHO, means sweeping bends,hills,corners and working the gearbox.
Curtis (formerly known as Crutis)

Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have a picture?

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's some pictures https://www.putzkes-fahrspass.com/bra_page.htm
This is why I suggested the clear film /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
On the whole, I too dislike the bra (on most any car). But I will say that the red one on the Ralle (looking) Healey doesn't look too bad with its snug fit.

curtis

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I haven't posted a picture before so don't know if this is going to work.Anyhow this shows my 100 with just a hint of "freeway dirt".
Curtis

Attachments

• 117414-AustinHealeyRallyoftheTests2.jpg
    117414-AustinHealeyRallyoftheTests2.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 137