• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Can a 175x13 tire be fitted on Bugeye

Handyman

Freshman Member
A neighbor offered to give me two used 175x13 tires for my Bugeye. They look a little too big, but they might fit on the rear. Is a 175x13 tire able to fit on a Bugeye? Thanks.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I have 175/70 R13s on mine. Biggish, but they work with the admittedly wider Mini-lite wheels I have. No issues.

Fred & Mark on drive - 23June2020.jpg

I should add that before I replaced my front springs and shocks, there were some issues when I hit a turn hard (but no more).

Last edited:
OP
H

Handyman

Freshman Member
Thanks Boink/Mark, I will follow-up on the offer of free used 175x13s. I'll measure the width to make sure my original style wheels are wide enough. Yoda looks great. Sid

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Original rims are only 3.5" wide. 155/80/13 is pushing it on original rims. The 8 spoke 5" wide max is 175x70x13, A 5.5" Rim can go 185x70x13.

Check the date on those tires, if Mfg Date is more than 5-7 years old, throw them away. And check for the UTOQ Code to see treadlife 500 or 600 UTOQ 65,000 MileTires are great for MiniVans but not for our light cars. I found some Nexen Tires with UTOQ Ratings in the 200's at WalMart for about $50 installed. They stick well. Look pretty good on my JBW 8 spoke wheels. And depending on the offset, you might need spacers or longer wheel studs. Winners Circle, now located in Cncinnati, can provide both for you.

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I used to run 175/70 13s on my square body with stock rims. I Bugeye should be even easier at the rear since it has the round rear wheel arch.

I'm now on 5" rims. There IS clearance, but just barely.

The tire SHAPE makes a difference as it turns out. If you are putting on the commonly available tires from NOW..... Well the only 13s are for mini-vans, or all seasons--high mileage tires with square shoulders. These rub in the rear fender wells of a square body car, (or at least did in mine)

Now that there are again making the Pirelli CN36 tire in a 175/70 13, I've had no problem. (I had to order mine from LONGSTONE TYRE and have them shipped from England, but they can be had from at least one U.S supplier now.

My 2¢