• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bugeye bonnet mounted on later sprite or midget?

MGB79

Freshman Member
Has anyone mounted a bugeye bonnet on a latter model sprite or MG midget? I have seen pictures of this done and would like to know how it is done.

Thanks, Bob

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ahhh, you take off the late model front end off and set the Bugeye bonnet on.

I think I fail to understand the question.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
Bolt the Bugeyes to the hinges on a square body, reroute the wires to the headlights and turn signals up the bonnet.

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
Too bad the back end isn't as easy....

-Bear-

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
Just <span style="font-style: italic">exactly</span> that easy. Wunnerful, isn't it? One of the great things about Spridgets is the interchangability. :cheers:

GrahamP

Don't the inner wings have to be modified? IIRC the Mk1 has no lip on the outside of the inner wings, whereas the Mk2 onward has a lip turned outword, I believe it was an attempt at a splash shield.
Graham.

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
There are some differences in the panels that fit around the radiator and the radiator itself on the later cars that might give some interference with the BE hood and the hinges on the cowl are different and won't bolt up to the BE hood. Most of the guys that have mounted BE fronts make them front hinged. Later bumpers and brackets won't clear, so either do without or source the BE parts. That's it as far as I know.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Inner wings so need to be modified, 1/2" lip removed. I used a cut off wheel in my $13.95 Harbor Freight Angle Grinder. Fixed that issue in about 10 minutes per side. Change to a grinder wheel and made flush, painted and no issue.

Now converting to front tilting bonnet as I did with Bugsy my '68 is more challenging as lots of parts and pieces need to be closely aligned. You can make the front hinge set yourself. Takes about $40-50 of misc parts, drill press, angle grinder, flat files, some 1/4" aluminum stock onr as I did several thinner pieces sandwiched and JB Welded together.

Oil cooler will need to be relocated if you have one. I can send pics on how I did with mine. Wiring a simple trailer harness as a Quick disconnect.

Rear Bonnet seal, McGregor's in Canada. Supports back of bonnet if front hinged

It helps to have a straight, properly curved bonnet rather than the pool table straight bonnet I purchased. They are actually arched to match the cowl. That has been the biggest fitment issue I'm still working through, that and my repair work on bottom rear of bonnet I need to redo properly.

Happy to send pics from thistle_3619@yahoo.com. Drop me a note. No time to shrink pics down today.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
So, Jim, how are you going to hook the rear down?

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
That looks pretty good.

The best I've personally seen were fitted from a Spitfire bonnet. All you could see were a couple of short chrome strips on the side. I like that a lot better than either the leather straps or the bungee rubber ball and hook set ups.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That looks very nice what page or what is it called in the catalog? I can't seem to find it.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I simply used some latches from one of the racing product catalogs you'll find in the back of Classic Car Mag. 6 screws simply latch at back rear of the bonnet. If I find anything better and I like that latch system you mentioned and have pics of it being used before for this very application. With all of the tricky alignment and fitment issues with using a front hinged bonnet, use the KISS Method.

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
Catalog page 2912. Search for latch, then look at list for cable latch and it will come up at the top of the page. The only system I've seen so far that would unlatch both sides at once. It's spring loaded so with a little engineering you could have a bonnet that would "slam" shut and pop open with a single handle to pull.

Dug

Jedi Trainee
At the AH meet in Snowmass CO, 1982, there was a MKI sprite from FL that had a forward tilting bonnet. This guy had made up a couple of triangular brackets from 3/32” steel, sort of a three sided box so to speak.
On top of both brackets were the hood receivers from a MKII and up spridget. He then mounted the two brackets in the spots where the hood hinges were normally affixed to the bulkhead. On the bonnet side, the hood bolt(s) and spring(s)were fitted.
Under the dash was a simple pull that “popped” the bonnet up like later cars. It was so slick and looked right. He even had the front bumper in place. I do have a picture or two, I’ll find a way to scan them a post it if I can.
"dug"

bill_young

Jedi Warrior
The real trick is finding a pivot point so that the rear corners of the hood don't drag on the body or over the cowl when it pivots. Without that the rest is moot, as you have to have two people to spread the corners out and lift past the cowl. The hinges designed by Bruce Uchida fit the bill, move the bonnet forward as it begins to pivot. https://www.britishv8.org/Other/BruceUchida.htm

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
bill_young said:
...hinges designed by Bruce Uchida fit the bill, move the bonnet forward as it begins to pivot. https://www.britishv8.org/Other/BruceUchida.htm

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">WOW! NICE BugEye!!</span></span> :thumbsup:

bugimike

Yoda
Very Nice, but a Bugeye in appearance only by now (not that that is a bad thing!!!)

Country flag
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]The real trick is finding a pivot point so that the rear corners of the hood don't drag on the body or over the cowl when it pivots[/QUOTE]

Mine clears fine with the old school front hinge design.