• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB Bringing the B back to life

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
On checking a five-main short block here (actually, it's holding up my garage CAB 'fridge), it doesn't have that hole in the backing plate. Not sure I've ever run across one that does.

Per'aps an access for timing marks in another automobile? Rolls used a similar method for timing marks earlier.

I have a vague vague memory of the hole being for an automatic transmission - which I seem to recall some GTs having.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I have a vague vague memory of the hole being for an automatic transmission - which I seem to recall some GTs having.

Entirely possible! Access to the bolts for the torque converter. Good eye there, JP!!

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks, guys. I'll try and get a plug if one is available, but BPNorthwest doesn't have it and Moss/VB are closed. Given that my original engine hasn't had a plug for that hole the entire time I've owned it, I'm not too worried on this temp engine. Don't want to slow down my progress of getting the engine back in the car if I can avoid it.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Drew,

Are you going to paint it?
I'm trying to decide weather or not to paint mine,
if I ever get it pulled.A guy who works at a local
shop is supposed to loan me a hist,but I can't seem
to get him to get it out of storage.
I had a really nice one, but couldn't see shipping
it cross-country.I gave it to another MG owner who did
me many favors.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I'm not going to paint this engine, as it's just a temporary (famous last words) solution. When I get around to rebuilding the original it will get a nice coat of MG engine red.

If it were just a question of spraying some paint I would definitely do it, but this one would need extensive degreasing (really a hot tank) and I just don't want to spend that much time on it.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Made some more progress tonight. Replaced the oil pan gasket and put the new motor mounts on. The engine itself is ready to go into the car now. Still need to put the trans mount together and decide if I'm putting my trans in, or the one that came with this engine (both are OD). I did a filter replace and fluid change on my trans a few years ago, no idea when that was last done on the donor. Leaning towards using mine, but we'll see.

bengine_doneish.jpg

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Great progress, sir. Have you replaced the side cover gaskets? If not, it'd be a good idea. The back one is a real PITA once everything is back in the car.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Yup, did side cover gaskets as well. Tried to get the easy stuff done with the engine out.

It's hard to resist the temptation to go deeper, but I have to remind myself that this is a temporary situation. The rebuild can wait for the other engine.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:thumbsup:

I admire your self-control. But you're right: Better to be driving sooner as you put the other mill together. Keep the "may as wells" for that build.

Random thoughts:

Did you have a look at bearing shells while the pan was off?

I should've read the prior post about the side-covers. duh.

Getting to that hole in the back plate with the pan in-situ would be nearly impossible, methinks.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I bought this car back 3+ years ago and have only driven it my 50 miles. Time to have it running one way or another.

I didn't look at the bearing shells while the pan was off. Mostly didn't think of it. Trying to avoid getting into the internals and the slippery slope of a rebuild. How worth it is it to check those (engine was pulled from a running car, only stopped driving it due to fatal rust)?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I bought this car back 3+ years ago and have only driven it my 50 miles. Time to have it running one way or another.

I didn't look at the bearing shells while the pan was off. Mostly didn't think of it. Trying to avoid getting into the internals and the slippery slope of a rebuild. How worth it is it to check those (engine was pulled from a running car, only stopped driving it due to fatal rust)?

I run a quart of Lucas oil additive plus 20W50 - covers a multitude of sins!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Drew, If you've put the pan on already and the engine was running prior to removal, I'd not worry about it. As you say, the slippery slope.

As for JP's answer, it can't hurt. The Lucas stuff is a good "cushion" for the bedded in bearings. Not so much in a new engine for break-in, although it makes a good assembly lube.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks guys. I'll leave well enough alone at this point. Hoping to get the trans mount sorted tonight, chipping away a little at a time while I wait for the next parts order.

BP Northwest has been great, but I do miss Moss. They have all the random little things (like the plug for that opening in the backplate) that really no one else has. I'll be happy to have them back once that's safe for them to do so.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
RE: Trans mount. I've found it easiest to assemble the mounts to the cross-member and put the four bolts in the trans case after it's in the car. That job's a lot less fiddly with a ½" swivel socket.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Any tips for installing the rubber bushings on the trans mount? I can see how they go, but they're being stubborn.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Which gearbox, Drew? 3-synchro or the later one? And using the Moss parts diagram, show us the errant bushings by number.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Which gearbox, Drew? 3-synchro or the later one? And using the Moss parts diagram, show us the errant bushings by number.

What, you can't read my mind? :D

4-synchro box (1970). #3 in the Moss schematic, rubber bushes. There are 2 of them, on the center mount of the trans crossmember.

MGB-040_1.jpg