• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bonus tonneau cover

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
So my new Bugeye came with a little stack of tops -- the hard top, two soft tops, and two tonneau covers. Other than the hardtop (needs all new seals, otherwise in good nick) I had not even looked at the others until tonight. There's one each in black and white. The black tonneau is dead, brittle, very torn, done for. The white one is surprisingly pretty workable. Needs a good cleaning, but didn't even need that much stretching to fit.

Not a huge fan of the white, but it'll work for now.

toneau.jpg

I've also got two tops (black and white). Black top is in decent shape but dirty, white top is generally in better shape (though has one small hole) and has a zip-out rear window. Long term I'm not a fan of the white tops, but again I've got them and replacing them is out of the question right now. Just buying the car evaporated most of my car fund. Got to get those gigs rolling!

Managed to secure a top frame as well. Car came with a split frame for a later car, and I just worked out a trade with a fellow that just bought a Bugeye frame for his later Spridget -- I had what he really needed, he had what I needed. Shipped my frame off to him today, the Bugeye frame should be wending its way toward my house shortly.

nomad

Yoda
Drew, the white will keep the car cooler inside and a zip out rear window is really nice when driving on a hot day. I also really like that tonneau. Who ever made it even put a flap over the zipper so it may even keep water out if it gets rained on.

I think you have quite a find!

Kurt.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I like the white tonneau... (I also like the originality of the car) :cheers:

I've been very pleased as I dig into this car that it really hasn't been messed with. The PO did add a few accessories here and there, but in such a way that they were all easily removable (and now all removed) with minimal impact to the car -- just a couple holes that need to be welded closed. I'll eventually add disc brakes and a 1275 for better mountain driving, but this is a great starting point.

Drew, the white will keep the car cooler inside and a zip out rear window is really nice when driving on a hot day. I also really like that tonneau. Who ever made it even put a flap over the zipper so it may even keep water out if it gets rained on.

I think you have quite a find!

I can appreciate the cooling benefits, I'm just not a fan of the color combination from an aesthetic standpoint. But beggars can't be choosers, and I'm happy enough to have something workable on hand.

The deeper I go, the happier I am with this car. Yes, the list of projects is far longer than my resources currently allow, but she's a solid little car at heart and well worth the effort it will take.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Drew those mirror holes can be closed with a simple self tapping screw. Take an angle grinder to it and heat from the angle grinder on the exposed screw as you grind it will literally weld it in place and flush. I fixed a number of small holes in my old bonnet that way.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Thanks for the tip, Jim. That's a very clever fix.

Country flag
I'll second liking the white tonneau cover! I'll bet with just the cockpit open, it makes the car look sleek from 10-15 feet.....

Country flag
Straight Simple Green applied on the dry cover with a scrub brush does wonders for brightening white tops, covers, etc.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Did you find the second front clip for the hardtop in the stuff?

I didn't -- will eventually order a new pair from AHSpares. Wasn't originally going to keep the hard top, but now that I know it's a BMC one, and I have a place to store it out of the way, It'll stay. Needs a full resto but other than that one latch it's all there.

I'll second liking the white tonneau cover! I'll bet with just the cockpit open, it makes the car look sleek from 10-15 feet.....

It's growing on me, but I'd still prefer a black one. Does its job, so no complaints.

Straight Simple Green applied on the dry cover with a scrub brush does wonders for brightening white tops, covers, etc.

I've got to give it a good scrubbing soon, should clean up nicely I think.

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Nice car and top !

Before you start scrubbing be sure to know what material you are working on
See if you can get some products like from PoorboysWorld
On vinyl the NaturalLook works wonders and protects at the same time
On fabric look for Raggtop

Hans

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nice car and top !

Before you start scrubbing be sure to know what material you are working on
See if you can get some products like from PoorboysWorld
On vinyl the NaturalLook works wonders and protects at the same time
On fabric look for Raggtop

Thanks, Hans. My local upholstery guy has recommended those Raggtop products. Probably will start there.

pbraun

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Looks good. Can you make a pattern or template from that white tonneau cover? Looks pretty close to what I want to make.
If you get material I could probably assemble one for you as well. maybe I missed it, but what year is your bugeye?

This could be good for everyone. I also have someone on another site who is interested in this idea of making a tonneau for his car.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've been out of touch for a while, just saw you posted to this old thread -- makes me realize how long I've owned this car, and how much I really need to get working on it.

My Bugeye is a '59. It could likely be used as a template, I seem to remember it hadn't shrunk up all that much. You'd have to flip it for a LHD car, but should be roughly symmetrical.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I was curious, so I went out to my shop and the tonneau is still out there. If you are interested in it as a template, let me know I'm sure I can send it to you (as long as I get it back :smile: )