• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bonnet hinge gasket

BillyBud

Country flag
I was wondering why my bonnet came so close to interfering with the body at the rear when closing. I didn't know there was supposed to be a spacer gasket where the hinge attaches to the bonnet. Can anyone tell me what this spacer gasket is made of and how thick it is? #4 in the diagram. Thanks.
Hingle gasket.JPG

Desert Rat

Country flag
Mine does the same thing. When I tried adjusting the bonnet I found what could be the remains of that gasket. No idea what it was originally made from but mine was very thin, maybe paper or the same stuff as the pedal box seal but it crumbled apart when I took some out. What I found in mine wouldn’t act much as a spacer.
I think my problem is my bonnet may be warped more than I think it is and maybe the hinges. My mom backed into it with the Barracuda 40 years ago, the bonnet was repaired but I think the shop left a twist in it.
I need to take a hinge out and compare it to a new one and see.

Last edited:

tiiM5

Gold
Country flag
I recall the material to be similar to black roofing paper installed on new roofs of homes.
I purchased some gasket material of similar thickness, a little thinner, from NAPA and traced and cut gaskets for my hinges. X-Acto knife was used to cut out the mounting holes.

TFR1

Country flag
Original material was virtually identical to 30# roofing paper.(an asphalt impregnated paper) It is .060"thick.
Available from any roofing contractor. Probably for no cost.

OP
B

BillyBud

Country flag
I swear I has a roll of that stuff hanging around for years and just pitched it a couple of weeks ago. Isn't that always the way. Throw it away and you need it the next day after you do.

OP
B

BillyBud

Country flag
Desert Rat, I bet you could measure the width of your hinges at the point where they would probably bend, around the number 8 in my diagram. That's a whole lot easier than removing unless your car is apart. If it does have a bend might be able to fix with by squeezing with a C clamp without even removing the hinge at all. My car is in pieces and even then these hinges proved very tricky to install, needed a helper to hold the bonnet up and much jiggling to get the interior bolt in.

Stan Kowznofski

Country flag
If you are not a purist at keeping everything original you should look into the later style 'scissor' type hinges. Much stronger and more adjustable plus they move the bonnet up and away so there is less chance of scraping paint.

OP
B

BillyBud

Country flag
Are the later hinges a bolt in replacement or do they require modification? I saw a set on Ebay for sale and the look like they have a different body side attachment.

Desert Rat

Country flag
Never thought to try them on a Bugeye, seems like overkill with little benefit. I helped a friend add them to a 48 Chevy truck and swore I’d never do that again.