• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Bondo gone wrong

Country flag
I had some free time last night and today, so I thought I'd tackle one of the rear quarters on the bugeye project. I wish I had taken a few more pictures so that you could see how bad it was.

After I pulled out all the Bondo and mesh I forgot about documenting the process. Instead I just cussed for hours on end. After cutting, bending and pounding out some patch panels. I contorted myself into all the strange positions required to get the panels welded in place. It was warm enough today to roll the car outside for the grinding mess.

Anyway, it is basically done. When I'm ready to do the body work this section should only need a little more grinding and a THIN layer of fiberglass (unlike the gallon the DPO used).

Attachments

• 4649-Bondo-love.JPG
    4649-Bondo-love.JPG
    82.2 KB · Views: 139
  • 4650-metalpatch.JPG
    4650-metalpatch.JPG
    74.8 KB · Views: 131

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Heh... a gallon of Bondo and an old screen door can go a looong way!!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

Grantura_MKI

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
I would not use fibreglass, as it tends not to bond to steel. Mar-glass might be the way to go if you are that sort of bloke? Drew must love these pictures??
Cheers, David.

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Nice work, Trevor! That's quite the rusty spot. Sure glad I haven't had to tackle anything like that on the Tunebug (thanks, again, David!).

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Wish I could do that.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
he said he made them, boy am I impressed.

middleagecrazy

That's one smooth job. I know that most people don't care for bondo but that looks so smooth that it doesn't look like it would take much. Great job on the panel too. The time spent appears worthwhile.

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
regularman said:
Well done, Did you buy that piece or make it?

Funny you should ask. I bought the outside panel since it is a compound curve. However, the one I bought was going to need a fair amount of reshaping to even be close. So, I decided to try and make it myself. It has a few more welded seems than the original, but they are butt welds and therefore hard to detect. I'm doing this at my house and I only have a MIG welder so I had to do a quite a bit of grinding.

bugimike

Yoda
Hey, when you're done, do you want to spend a little "working vacation" down here in Fl. and do mine /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif ?? That looks great!! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
On another thread, Jeff said he likes to do body work so maybe you should call him. I'm thinking about giving him a call if I find anther gallon of Bondo tucked up in the other side of the car. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
Trevor Jessie
Country flag
I forgot to mention... I needed a piece of 18 or 20 gauge steel for part of the inner closing panel. I didn't have any large enough on hand. So I went in the basement to scrounge. I found an old computer case (1990'ish). At first I didn't look at it because most modern computer cases are 24 gauge or so. But I tapped on it on it and it felt solid. Sure enough, it was about 18 gauge. and... the tag on the computer chassis said "Made in the USA". I kind of felt guilty about cutting up.

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I did all my sheet metal work at home with one of the cheap flux core mig welders. It was easeir to weld the thicker metal, plus I wanted any patch I put on to lase forever so I made everything out of 11 gauge. cut out and redid the box under the motor (the one that the crank pulley alwasys hits on) it was rusted out. Redid the lower a pillars where the hinges mount, any holes in floor too. Car may be 5 pounds heaver but hopefully what is fixed stays fixed.