• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT Bodywork and financial woes

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Mike I think you need to find the guy that wrote the insurance estimator and have him do the work ! He can do it much faster than I.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
It does sounds like you want a driver and not a concours car.

Craigslist does have some options https://eastnc.craigslist.org/aos/5463347090.html and https://eastnc.craigslist.org/aos/5460027532.html obviously due diligence required.

Craven College at least has an automotive program and a welding program - somewhere in that school is an aspirational Hot Rod builder.

Even Piedmont prison has an auto body program

I might also meander over to the Marine base - somewhere on that base is a metal working shop and I suspect those guys might also be willing to moonlight a bit. Even a local high school might give you some clues.

princetn1

Country flag
I've hesitated posting my paint story as I didn't want to make jealous enemies. I took my black MGB to the owner about a year ago and asked how much to "rough it up and respray?" He said since it was a small car, he would charge me $2000. Once in the body shop, the artist/perfectionist body and paint guy took off everything including the windshield. Once roughing didn't meet his high standards, he took the entire car down to bare metal, primered, painted, buffed, and cleared it a few times. When I went to pay, I gladly paid the $2000 bill and have been smiling ever since!!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I've hesitated posting my paint story as I didn't want to make jealous enemies. I took my black MGB to the owner about a year ago and asked how much to "rough it up and respray?" He said since it was a small car, he would charge me $2000. Once in the body shop, the artist/perfectionist body and paint guy took off everything including the windshield. Once roughing didn't meet his high standards, he took the entire car down to bare metal, primered, painted, buffed, and cleared it a few times. When I went to pay, I gladly paid the $2000 bill and have been smiling ever since!!

No jealous enemies here - well done! Actually mine was a bit <bit> like that where my original guy moved his shop and passed me on to the guy I ended up with - a perfectionist - at the pre-agreed rate.

OP
N

NC Mike

JP,

I might have to chat with the fellow on CL - judging from the map in his post, he's slightly more than an hour away (at highway speeds).
My biggest concern, without having seen his work firsthand, is that I envision the work between the photos depicting hammered sheet metal and finished product on the silver car in this post (https://eastnc.craigslist.org/aos/5460027532.html) involves a cake-icing-like layer of body filler and sculpting.
For that matter, that's my concern about the "aspiring hot rod builder." I've known about the program at Craven Community College for many years (I'm an alumnus). Most of the work performed by the students in the class are on the student's vehicles. And, regardless of inherent skills, metal work is a time-enhanced ability that typically improves only with experience.

I am fairly certain that there is a "hobby shop" on the USMC base near me, but finding someone with the necessary skill set, time, and/or access is another story. As for meandering over to the base, it's never been an "open" base, like some are, with areas that are accessible to the general public. Add to that the effects of Sep 11, and "meandering" won't get you past the visitor's center parking lot.

I have a neighbor who is a professional mechanic, and was speaking with him about local shops. He feels the same as I do, in that most modern collision repair shops don't do the work my GT requires. The kind of work I need is more along the line of restoration, and in his words, "is a dying art." That might not hold true in the larger metropolitan areas, but it seems to be so in this area. He knows my car and the work to be done, and is checking with his contacts to see if they recommend anyone other than the shops I've already visited.

Brinkerhoff,

Yes, it would be nice to find the guy who wrote the estimator guide. If you find him, let me know. I gave up trying to find him in 1983 when I left the last dealership where I worked. I always pictured him as some caffeine-hyped, four-armed beast, with an encyclopedic knowledge of automobiles, the speed of a 100-yard sprinter, and the endurance of a triathlete. :smile:
(not to mention that he probably never skinned a knuckle or broke a bolt)

Mike (in Tampa),

It's nice to find a properly skilled individual who is a perfectionist about his repair work, but lacking in shop management skills. The shop owner who quoted me the "considerably higher than anticipated" price has the skills required, based upon a review of the work proceeding in his shop. But, he lost his previous shop location when the real estate market crashed, (long unrelated and unsubstantiated story) so he appears to be equally experienced in business management. As for him being a perfectionist, my satisfaction with driver quality versus concourse appears to be one side of a fine line in his shop, affecting the amount of attention paid to fine details, not the underlying work. And , to his credit, I must admit, the more I hear from conversation to conversation, the more reasonable his price becomes.

Thanks for helping me think through this folks, and for doing some long-distance research for me (JP).
Your input is definitely appreciated, and thought provoking.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
And every option had pros and cons - like the old saying - fast - good - cheap - pick two. My wife had a workshop she was presenting today - as she was planning I was urging her not to present a Pottery Barn solution to a Walmart problem. Likewise, tonight I am meeting with a church who want someone else to pay for them because they want everything but want to change nothing - Part of this whole process for cars is to figure out what you want and can afford and what you need - ie. a daily driver or concours - very different decisions. At any rate, keep us posted!

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Mike , I'm sure with a bit of effort you'll find the right guy that will treat you right. My comment was "tongue in cheek" of course.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Panel beating IS close to a lost art. Those of us who've done it are mostly tired of being taken for granted, and insulted by the penalties and restrictions imposed upon us by powers beyond our control make it nearly impossible to practice the trade. Again: look to clubs and those who would do the work for the honor of resurrecting a vintage vehicle.

OP
N

NC Mike

I'm still looking, but coming up empty, so far.
I find myself favoring a second trip to Elwood. I like what I saw in his shop, and maybe after a more in depth conversation about how much preparation and reassembly work I'll do, and exactly what he'll do, we can come to an agreement.

Brink - although based in truth, my reply was, like yours, with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

There's one "foreign car" specific shop near me that I'll check. It's the only place around where I've seen an MG other than my own, and if nothing else, maybe the shop will have more information about any local club or enthusiast I can chat with.

Dr. E - just noticed the grilles in your signature - nice!

Will keep you posted / let you know what decision I make, and eventually, will post some photos.

Thanks again.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
When I mentioned to a couple folks that I was going to use lead instead of a plastic filler, it was mentioned that I could die from touching it! LOL! I'm still here, so I guess they were slightly off on their thinking.:highly_amused: .

Patience is the virtue, or so they say. Here's the old tub. There are other places that I leaded in also. PJ

View attachment 41780
View attachment 41781

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I'm still looking, but coming up empty, so far.
I find myself favoring a second trip to Elwood. I like what I saw in his shop, and maybe after a more in depth conversation about how much preparation and reassembly work I'll do, and exactly what he'll do, we can come to an agreement.

Brink - although based in truth, my reply was, like yours, with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

There's one "foreign car" specific shop near me that I'll check. It's the only place around where I've seen an MG other than my own, and if nothing else, maybe the shop will have more information about any local club or enthusiast I can chat with.

Will keep you posted / let you know what decision I make, and eventually, will post some photos.

Thanks again.

seems to me as you drive out of New Bern on (I think) the same road that has Walmart on it, there is on the left, a store full of American Hot Rods for sale - might they have some leads?

Also, looks like the closest club is Cape Fear https://www.bmccf.org/ but there are others,

https://www.flyingcircusenglishcars.com/community/index.php?topic=7.0

Finally, realized Hap Waldrop is not too many hours away: https://www.acmespeedshop.com/ Hap is an engine guy and not on the boards too much these days - though someone could put you in touch - Hap is a very easy guy to talk to and, what he doesn't know pretty much isn't worth knowing.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
NC Mike said:

ASCII art generated on a Linux box... Don't try this trick at home. :smirk:

OP
N

NC Mike

PJ
lead work . . . now that's something I haven't heard mentioned in a long time.
Nice looking work!

I vaguely remember seeing an advertisement for a lead alloy that was sold in stick form. If I remember right, square stock, about 1/4 inch on each side, and about 12-18 inches long. I think the application method was heat with a propane torch and smear into place. Something to that effect anyhow.
I always wanted to try that, but never did.

JP

You either have a great memory, have had a recent visit to New Bern, or both.
What you described as a "store full of American hot rods for sale" is where you described it.
However, it is part of the private collection of one Joe Alcoke. Mr. Alcoke is a long-time automobile dealership owner in the New Bern area. He is a bit older than my father, but still quite the car enthusiast.
The building was used as an automobile dealership for a variety of marques, which was eventually acquired by Mr. Alcoke, who then moved it across the street. Instead of razing the building, he put some of his toys and trophies in it on display. I'm not certain, but I think he uses the service department in that building to maintain his many cars.

The 74.5 I started this post about was gifted to me by current employer. The boss parked the car in late 1984 with just about 100K on the odometer. When I began working for him in 1999, I would be sent to the building where the car was being stored (along with a considerable variety of other "stuff") in order to retrieve supplies for the office. The car, under a 3-sided shelter, open to the south, always had my attention. After repeatedly hearing me express concern for the condition of the car and the increasing size of rotten roof pieces falling on the car, I was told to "take it home if I was that concerned about it." It was in my driveway within 24 hours and the title was in my hand soon afterward.

My boss is a long-time New Bern businessman, once known for his love of Triumphs. I believe his wife had a TR2, he still has a TR3, somewhere. Anyway, he received a phone call from a car salesman friend who had an MG he might be interested in. The boss claims he was told the car had a front end problem affecting the steering, but that the car was in good shape otherwise. He bought the car, replaced the oversized front tires to eliminate the steering problem, and he and his sons drove the car until it was parked where I first saw it.

I told you that to tell you this - the car salesman was a much younger Joe Alcoke.

I visited the websites you linked. When I'm not so sleepy, I might visit them and shoot an email or two to ask a few questions about shops.

I'm ragged out and about to crash, myself.

Good night, Gents.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
pleasant dreams!

OP
N

NC Mike

Well folks,

The car still sits in the barn waiting for me to decide.
I haven't touched it in over a week, but it's for good reason.

I've spent the last week completing paperwork for a new job! :smile-new:
Better pay, better benefits, better hours.
The whole reason for starting this repair has come to fruition.

I've also acquired a "beater" to hold me over until the GT is ready for action again.
A 140K-mile '95 Grand Caravan from a coworker that needs brakes and an oil change.
I'll pay more for insurance and registration than I paid for the van, so if it continues to run for only a couple of months, I'm ahead of the game.

I'll let you know when I've made a GT decision.

Mike

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
woo hoo - good news! congrats & keep us posted

Joe Reed

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
If that Grand Caravan has been taken care of you should be good for quite a while. My sister just got rid of hers....with 250,000 on it!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Excellent news!

Having a good beater is always a handy thing -- you need to get to work so you can pay for the MG! Besides, take out the rear seats and that Grand Caravan makes a nice parts hauler.

OP
N

NC Mike

I have a number of friends with 250K-plus Caravans, so I'm hoping to see the same lifespan.
As for parts hauler, my wife has already referred to it as a covered pickup.
Like many other Dodges from that era, if I don't perform some much-needed paint maintenance on the roof, it might not be covered for long. But I thought mini-van roofs are what 3m stripping pads, ospho, qt size automotive paint cans, and small paint rollers are for. Right? :fat:
But I have to finish my income taxes first. Priorities sometimes get in the way.

LarryK

Yoda
Country flag
My sis and brother in law ( cheap ) painted their RV with the rustoleom marine paint. Rolled it on with the foam rollers. She then painted flowers on it the same way. Dried smooth and looks OK. A qt or so might cover the top of a van easily. As for lead filler, Eastwood sells a non-lead solder for filling, just has to be hotter and a little harder to work.