• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

bn6 two seater trunk versus bt7 four seater trunk

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
my 1959 bn6 does not have any trim in the trunk and i refuse to purchase the trunk set for almost 500 dollars . my question is the flat area of the trunks which would be over the fuel tank the same for both cars or very close. i can make the side trim and spare tire opening trim but just need the fuel tank cover. i have not been able to find the armacord material in roll yardage or i would just purchase that. any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. my car is a v8 conversion so originality is not required. but, i do prefer the armacord look. i would also cut a hard material to fit betweenthe top of the tank and the armacord. thanks for any help or suggestions.

Attachments

• IMG_2391.jpg
    IMG_2391.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 131

blueskies

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
maxwedge, based on your picture, Armacord trunk kits from other models - anything from a BN4 to a BJ7 - might fit. The piece around the spare tire opening would be different, but, other than that, the kit might work for you. Even the piece around the spare tire opening likely could be modified to work for you.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
my 1959 bn6 does not have any trim in the trunk and i refuse to purchase the trunk set for almost 500 dollars . my question is the flat area of the trunks which would be over the fuel tank the same for both cars or very close. ....

The flat area over the tank looks the same as on my BN4. The Armacord is flat and then drops under the battery on the right. On the left, it is flat over the forward, raised part, then drops down into the little cubbyhole under the tail light.

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
thanks for the help!

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Maxwedge--

As you may or may not know 100's did not have plywood floors over the fuel tank and simply had a large piece of Armacord loose-laid over the tank which was cut and seamed to conform to and line the areas on either side of and behind the fuel tank.

My Armacord was getting pretty ratty so i decided to make a plywood floor with hinged flaps over the three storage areas in order to create a flat floor in the boot and I coincidentally just completed the project today.

I purchased a length of sheet rubber at Lowes that matches almost perfectly the pattern of Armacord--See the attached photo--and you may want to investigate using it for your project.

Attachments

• Bootfloor.jpg
    Bootfloor.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 138

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Bob--

Nope it was always all red but the hardtop used to be white.

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i think that i will contact healey spares for the armacord material, straps, and spare tire glove! thanks for all the help! i just ordered the parts...6 a.m here and they are about 3 or 4 hours ahead of us...thanks gregory!

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
i got the armacord and spare tire cover yesterday. my question now is what holds the spare in place once fitted into the cover. i have always seen a long strap from the front of the tire to the strap in the trunk. it appears that this cover only uses a very short strap at the rear of the tire....as if to prevent it front sliding out of the cover and into the rear compartment....help!

British_Recovery

Jedi Warrior
Bronze
Country flag
On BN6/7 cars, the cover should have a sleeve on the top for the long section of leather strap. The end that emerges into the cockpit is wrapped around a footman's loop located on the battery hatch. The other end in the boot is pointed, with the holes needed to fit into the roller buckle on the short strap, which attaches to the bulkhead with another footman's loop. The original straps I have seen are dyed black on both sides of the hide, and black rivets are used at the footman's loops. The center bar roller buckle is painted black. Size is 1" width for strap.
The cover itself is held around the opening with the rectangular metal frame attached to the bulkhead. I will look for some photos.
Bob

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
thank you. the cover is vinyl and does not have the slot cut for the long part of the restraint belt. it does have an entry or exit hole cut inside the cover. i just hate to cut a slit in the vinyl for the belt to enter at the front. i sent an email to healey spares to clarify...IMG_2420.jpgIMG_2419.jpg

D

Duane_Rhynard

thank you. the cover is vinyl and does not have the slot cut for the long part of the restraint belt. it does have an entry or exit hole cut inside the cover. i just hate to cut a slit in the vinyl for the belt to enter at the front. i sent an email to healey spares to clarify...

Some pictures for you.

bn6a.jpg

bn6b.jpg

bn6c.jpg

bn6d.jpg

bn6e.jpg

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
thanks for all the help and pictures. thank goodness i did not cut a slit in the vinyl for the belt to pass through. it was there but cleverly disguised in the seam line just under the front "tab".

OP
maxwedge5281

maxwedge5281

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
well i decided to make my own rear trunk liner kit....450 plus shipping from vendors. i bought the panel board, naughahyde, and armacord materials, cut the patterns, glued etc for a total cost of 120 dollars. maybe not as nice as a bought kit but certainly good enough for my nasty boy! i also made the belt for the spare tire for 10 dollars versus 109 from vendor. pleased with the overall savings. i also bought a new shelf liner kit and spare tire cover and quarter panel wood kit. these are not in the above costs.

Attachments

• IMG_2423.jpg
    IMG_2423.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_2424.jpg
    IMG_2424.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 106