• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BN4 Hard Top

au672000

Freshman Member
Country flag
Happy Friday! Guys I have a 57 100-6 Longbridge BN4. I picked up a hard top fairly decent price. Looks like a 60 by the code.
Doesn't fit at all. Is there a difference between 4 seaters? It's at least 2" off by the door. Yes, I know they have to be fitted.

Thanks in Advance

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The hardtop isn't for a 2-seater, is it?

I have one on my '57 Longbridge BN4 that we bought separately and it fits ok. The hardtop should have a pin that inserts into the top supports for the later models behind each door. On mine, the pins are just inside the aluminum moulding, but don't go anywhere because the Longbridge soft top frame is different.

SAM_1286.jpg

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
You're correct, that doesn't come close to fitting, but I can't see where the problem lies. The photos are a bit distorted but it doesn't look like the roof section is warped and it seems to be sitting on the top of the wind screen correctly. Only suggestion I can think of is to find someone with another BN 4 or BT7 and see how it fits on their car. It's a mystery.

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
We need to see better photos, looking at the ones you’ve posted it doesn’t look like a real hardtop. Could be just the distortion, everything looks too ‘raked’. Having said that the curvature of the rear looks ok but it appears to be suspended above the rear rail. Is this being caused by the fitting of the front lip?

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
That is for a 4 seat car according to serial # "4" at beginning is 4 seat car Sept 1960 mfg date and number in sequence is the 2119 BTW begin with 6 is 2 seat car.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
It looks like the rear lip is too far forward so it sits on top of the shroud. The rubber behind (when looking from the outside) the aluminum bottom trim piece should sit on the aluminum cockpit surround. Is the aluminum cockpit surround in place? It looks like it's not. The sides look like they follow the shroud curve fairly well

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I can see the holes for the snaps so the top is sitting pretty close to where it should. If the surround were installed I think it would only make matter worst lifting the rear of the top higher and make the gap on the sides greater. I wouldn't think the fiberglass in the top could warp that much to cause this issue, but I have no real ideas.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've heard that the fiberglass is pretty flimsy without the aluminum trim. At this point, if the rest of the body isn't fitted and aligned, I would hold off on the hardtop and wait until it is. If the problem still exists after the rest of the body is fitted, perhaps removing the rear window and then adjusting the rear aluminum trim piece so that it sits correctly would be the way to go.

On mine, if the top isn't fastened down tightly with the clamps, it sits way too high.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Is the windshield A- the correct one and B- installed correctly .
reason I ask is if the angle of the windshield is wrong then the top at the front will be too high and will subsequently be too high at the door shuts .
if the windshield was raked at a steeper angle it would push the top back and down .
I agree with JT once the body is all in place and the windshield try it then .
I have the original hardtop sold with my car (62Tri Carb ) and will hopefully be trying it for fit soon once the body panels have all been fettled and tweaked .

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Another thought based on how flimsy the tops are without the aluminum trim . If the top was stored incorrectly without the trim then it’s possible it is now deformed from sitting on an edge , especially if it was stored long term through heat and cold cycles ?

CaptRandy

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Look at photos 2 and 3, does the front dip down toward the windshield? A sort of kink in the top where the side would sit?curtain

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
A very long shot here, but the BJ7 and 8 shrouds are different to the earlier cars by an amount that looks like the air space under the hard top, but then the pins are wrong I guess.

:cheers:

Bob

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bob, that's a good guess but the date stamp on the aluminum rail clearly indicates it was built for a 3000 M1 BT7.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
A very long shot here, but the BJ7 and 8 shrouds are different to the earlier cars by an amount that looks like the air space under the hard top, but then the pins are wrong I guess.

:cheers:

Bob
The BJ7 and BJ8 hardtops don't have the vertical support bars behind the rear window.