• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 Idler Gear [Steering]

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Ausmhly. I certainly can’t dispute what your seeing. I wonder if there are some differences in the parts?

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Ausmhly. I certainly can’t dispute what your seeing. I wonder if there are some differences in the parts?

I think this is it. Does oil go in the top and out the side?
ec517753-4933-45af-b663-916c7ea3c82f-1.jpg

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
That would be fine. Actually, any gear oil you've got sitting on the shelf would work (don't think the EP additives affect the bushings ... do they?).

Grade GL4 is yellow-metal compatible with the bushings. I think they all have EP additives.

Bentley manual also shows oil hole:

screenshot.1644.jpg

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Grade GL4 is yellow-metal compatible with the bushings. I think they all have EP additives.

What's the difference between GL4 and GL5? Which should be used in the Idler?
Castro Hypo C 85W-140 Gear Oil ... Outperforms API Service GL-5 lubricant for extreme pressure conditions

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
You mentioned Grade GL4.
Is Grade GL5 ok? Castro Hypo C 85W-140 Gear Oil is GL5

Not sure how long it would take for GL5 to affect the bronze bushes or whether it would at all.
GL5 is made for all-steel environments, such as rear axles. GL4 is for manual transmissions with yellow-metal syncros.

steveg

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
What GL4 oil would you recommend?

I'm sure even store brand would be fine as long as it says GL4 on the specs. Some imply they're both grades, but if so it is actually a GL5.

I'm using either Penrite or the Stens 00 grease shown above (forget which in the idler), neither of those show an NLGI rating on the label.

PS - the article below linked by Bob tells it all in exhaustive detail.

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Since it’s been awhile I didn’t remember the hole down the center. But now that I see the picture mine could have been like that also. I may have elected to use the zerk fitting because I believe the oil will just run out the bottom anyway.

Dandare

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
I'll just throw this into the ring, albeit a murky recollection from years ago.

The propensityfor GL5 to harm yellow metals is in some way related to temperature..if this is true I don't think it would cause any problem in such as a steering box (of this Bishop cam type anyway)?

Danny

vette

Darth Vader
Country flag
Since we have had this discussion I am maybe believing that the founding fathers of Healeydom May have had it more right than I had given them credit for. If the seal at the bottom would hold the oil at least for awhile then the passage drilled thru the shaft would hold enough oil to lube the bushings. In my case I was trying to push Penrith Steering Box Lube in the hole at the top. I said this will never work. That’s when I decided to put the zerk fitting in.

RAC68

Darth Vader
Hi All,

As I remember in our last discussion of lubricants for the steering box and Idler, a number of participants indicate looling lubricant to leakage. At that time I was convinced that John Deere Corn Head grease was the best path for me and purchased 2 tubes. Eventually I got around to replacing the fluid in the box and found the level to be exactly as I left it when checking 5-years prior and the oil discoloration on the white foam on the shaft was really caused by a sloppy oil spill during a change that I incompletely cleaned up. At the same time I also checked to see if there was lubricant in the Idler and found no bottom leakage and fluid present at the top port. Needless to say, I didn't change the fluid and still have the 2 tubes of Corn Head grease on the shelf in anticipation for when its needed.

So, if I understand the many posts and the idler fluid should weep down to lubricate the shaft bushings, is it a good thing that I find no external oil sediment? Is it a good thing to have a seemingly consistent oil presence at the top of the shaft for an extended period?

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Country flag
So, if I understand the many posts and the idler fluid should weep down to lubricate the shaft bushings, is it a good thing that I find no external oil sediment? Is it a good thing to have a seemingly consistent oil presence at the top of the shaft for an extended period?

Ray(64BJ8P1)

Yep. But now that you've mentioned it ...