• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8- How is the chrome door top molding installed?

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
This was not attached to my car when I got it. Is the rubber weather strip attached to the chrome molding with the push on clips and then this attached to the door top extension using the same clips? Thanks and have a good day!

John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
John_Progess said:
This was not attached to my car when I got it. Is the rubber weather strip attached to the chrome molding with the push on clips and then this attached to the door top extension using the same clips? Thanks and have a good day!

John
Yes John thats how it is done. Your day will improve too when you get it to snap back on--Keoke- :smile:

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
Isn't there a tenax stud just behind the wind wing for the tonnaue attachment. Does this go into the door?

OP
J

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
As far as I can determine it is a lift-the-dot stud and it is attached to the chrome molding only.
Keoke,
I can tell that this is not going to be an easy chore! Do you need to have the window in before the rubber weather strip and felt strip are attached? Thanks again and have a good day!

John

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi John,

Yes, the lift-the-dot stud is attached to the chrome molding only.
Yes, you should have the window installed first.
Use some dum dum behind the chrome top molding to help keep it in place.

Good luck.
Roger

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Jerry said:
Isn't there a tenax stud just behind the wind wing for the tonnaue attachment. Does this go into the door?
:nonod: It is attached to the Chrome finisher only

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
John_Progess said:
As far as I can determine it is a lift-the-dot stud and it is attached to the chrome molding only.
Keoke,
I can tell that this is not going to be an easy chore!
It is just a bit tricky but not really difficult.

Do you need to have the window in before the rubber weather strip and felt strip are attached?

No it can be fitted with the window in or out,

Thanks again and have a good day! :cheers:--Keoke

John

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I'm happy somebody asked this question first, because my chrome finisher strip kind of popped off and I was fiddling around with it today, trying to re-attach it. I was using the clips alone and it attached fine and was tight on one side, but the fit was difficult and sloppy on the other side. When I replaced a vent window frame last year, and removed the chrome finisher I noted a thick strip of silicone seal stuck all along the back of the finisher (tough to remove) and thought the last guy was just too lazy or more likely too frustrated to fit the clips properly. But from what I now read, and from the sloppy fit on one side, it seems that a few blobs of "dum dum" is in fact the right way to go, so thanks AUSMHLY for the tip.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi David, If the fit of the finisher is sloppy on one side there is somthing amiss over there. Ypu should not have to glue them on. Perhaps the little lip at the back end of the finisher has been bent out or the clips are weak.--Keoke

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hmmm - thanks Keoke

It seems that the chrome finisher doesn't come down far enough on the flat flange of the door to allow the clips to get a "bite", altho the finisher lines up nicely with the smaller "tailpiece" on the rear shroud, and the leading edge slips into the 'tang' at the front of the door. It could be the clips, altho they were new and pretty tightly sprung. The finisher itself is pretty good, with no evident bends.

I may have to bring along the 10 pound sledge enforcer for a little chat...

Working on Healeys is so character building. It's a wonder we don't all end up as serial killers.

Regards, your cheque is in the mail. Does Basil chain you to the computer? You must feel like a galley slave....

Dave

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi again David, You might compare the new clips with an old one might be a bit off. I can remember I had to go get old ones because the new ones did not work right. But be sure the clips are bottomed on the finisher and press down hard when trying to set them on the flange. Sometimes it is necessary to go back over the finisher and hit the top of it with the heel of your hand---Keoke

davidb

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
OK thanks again Keoke - I'll give another go, with your suggestions...Failing that, I'll pick you up at the airport, if and when you can find the time...

D.