• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ8 FUEL TANK

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Guys,
I found a local radiator shop that reconditions fuel tanks,so The fuel system on my 65 is just about done.From all the catalogs I look at,I have never seen a fuel filter or a fuel sock(located in the tank)in line to the fuel pump or the carbs. I would like to keep the stock setup but still would feel safer with some type of filter system.My question is ,is the strainer in the fuel pump the only protection in the fuel system or did I miss something?
As always,thanks for your help.
Bobby R

Dave Richards

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I don't think you missed anything. Most folks add an in-line filter just before the carbs. I remember doing this in the early '70s. It was a standard, and prudent, modification.

Jerry

Darth Vader
Gold
Country flag
To add to the fuel filter. I got a clear (glass) unit that is about 6 inches prior to the carbs. This allows you to see if you are getting gas to the carbs when there is a starting problem.

Very useful! My fuel pump lost its pressure and the fuel filter told me that it was making noise but not pushing fuel!

Jerry

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi Bobby,

I believe there is a brass filter screen in each carb too.

I too installed an inling fuel filter.
Mine is a by fram. It is plastic. (You can still see the fuel, if you want to, and more durable than glass).
I installed it about 5" after the fuel pump. Why there? It is out of sight, but easy to get to from under the car. Replacement takes about 10 minutes. Simply remove the two spring clips on each side, R&R with the new unit. When I ad improvements or safety items to my car, I try to keep them out of sight.

Happy motoring!
Roger

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Just to add further confusion, I installed my filter between the tank and pump. You need to add a ground to the fuel sender unit if you use rubber hoses to do this. I have stainless braided line and an aluminum filter. I put the ground wire in anyway.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Bob,
I’ve no personal experience with this, but I’ve heard tales of problems reconditioning tanks. There is a screen on the pickup tube inside original tanks. When the sealer is sloshed around to coat the tank, it can clog up the screen. One fix I’ve heard of is using compressed air to blow out the sealer, before it dries.

Country flag
I use a clear plastic filter before the carbs (about $7.00 but harder to find than the tranlucent ones). Advantage of clear is you can see anything in the fuel before it filtered. it will settle to the bottom. I replaced the clips Roger spoke of with clamps 'cause I don't trust anything that pulls apart over the exhaust. His is under the car so no problem there.
When the car wouldn't start last week, I could see the fuel being pumped which eliminated many posibilities of the cause.

OP
BOBBYR

BOBBYR

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hi Guys,
Thank you all for your help although I'm sure which way I'm going to go with this.I just hate to cut that fuel line.Anyway,I appreciate all the tips.
Bobby R