• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

BJ7 Side Exhaust for increased clearance

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Whilst (it's a British car!) measuring inlet/outlet pipe diameters on the muffler tonight, I got wondering about getting a couple of short (foot or so) pipes bent up to replace the rear exiting pipes and bring the exhaust out just in front of the rear wheel. I understand some folks have side exhausts - would this be the same thing? What would the noise level be like for the driver's left ear? Sound quality? clearance? would a hanger be necessary if the two pipes had a welded connecting plate between them? Other thoughts? I drag that expensive stainless steel a lot more than I'd prefer...
Thanks,
Doug

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
they might bark more if they are the right length, less hanging weight is better, think engine twist when thinking of a hanger, ie flexible

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
<What would the noise level be like for the driver's left ear?>

Throw the exhaust noise out the rear of the car where it belongs or wear ear plugs! I wear an cochlear implant in my left ear and a hearing aid in my right ear while both devices are real modern miracles(especially the implant which has been called by many a "god send"), they can never replace my lost hearing and understanding.
Deal with the low exhaust in that you are going to scrape it every once in a while.
Patrick

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
My BT7 had side exit pipes when I bought it in 1963. Drove it that way for many years, but of course I was in my teens and twenties, so I liked the noise. Changed to the normal rear exit and would never go back.

Take a five hour road trip in 100 degree heat with a bad hangover and add the noise of side exhausts and you know you've gone somewhere.....Ah but those were the good old days.....

W

Wings

cant hear the stereo very well past 75
but the rear sway bar makes up for any noise in my deaf ear

Genos2

Jedi Trainee
On my BJ7, I had for many years, 2 glass-packs, w/supertraps on turned out pipes in front of wheel. Not stock, but didn't drag& sounded very sweet! Wife always could hear me coming home,plus always had idiots asking-hows the exhaust get out,was fun! cheers Genos2

HealeyPassion

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I currently have side exhaust on my BJ7 works rally tribute... they are fun for about half an hour. The sound is just to close to your left ear. I plan on moving them to just behind the left rear wheel. That said, I have quick disconnect rear pipes so I can put the side exits back on if I'm just messing around.

Cheers,
Steve
https://stevesaustinhealey.com

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I have the normal rear exit, however I installed a "cotton reel" afr of the muffler that enables me to convert to side exit when wanted

why

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well ol chap, jolly good, have the Stebro side piper on mine, thought the hearing loss was just the getting on you know, cheerio, you want English, try the UK Lotus 7 site, everything has to refer back to jolly old Chappers and his pals at Foxrunchapelgate Mews or some such

OP
T

twas_brillig

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I wonder if the Brits have really adopted a successful postal code system? Their addresses always seemed to start off with 'The Old Glaxonbury White House' and then extend out the length of a short novel.
Doug

Jim_Newman

Jedi Hopeful
Speaking of Brits, it is a pasenger not the driver who would bear the brunt of side exhaust noise. The works rally cars were right hand drive so for the driver of a lookalike in NA, he will have to put up with having the exhaust exit right below his left ear.
Cheers

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I must confess to thinking about a side mounted exhaust, my navigator does not come out with me much so the noise will not affect me as it would you guess on the other side of the pond. It has taken a few years but I have nearly worn through my tail pipes. I have mounted a skid under mine for the moment, it is only temporary as I have used CT1 to fix it on, until I can manufacture something that will not fall off. I have only just finished aa back end rebuild so any sound will be enjoyable.

:cheers:

Bob

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I run a side exhaust system and drive with ear plugs and usually a helmet.....

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I had a side exit exhaust on my LHD 64 that I sold back to the UK . If you want to preserve your hearing I suggest wearing at least one ear plug in your left ear . They do sound wonderful though …..mine was a custom made by the now defunct Stebroe exhaust co .
The new owner in the UK loves the sound just like I did . My 62 Tri Carb in progress will have a stainless side exhaust from AHspares

bdcvg

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Just out of curiosity what were the measurements You found for inlet and outlet of a BJ7 muffler? I prefer the BJ7 sound to My crappy Moss trophy BJ8 and am considering a switch.

Healey Nut

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Here is my stainless big bore system from AH spares that is going on my Tri carb project rally car .
silencer is 26” long .
inlet 2” OD , outlet 1 3/4” OD . tubing size . The front pipes have a BELL label on them .No labels on the rest .
I would have preferred the side exit pipes to exit at a 45 degree angle as they did on my Stebroe system on my old 64 .
I may take it to a custom exhaust shop and have them alter it once I get it all fitted and tested .

Attachments

• 1956FB4E-36C7-4691-9041-66E3BBEE4601.jpeg
    1956FB4E-36C7-4691-9041-66E3BBEE4601.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 88

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Whilst (it's a British car!) measuring inlet/outlet pipe diameters on the muffler tonight, I got wondering about getting a couple of short (foot or so) pipes bent up to replace the rear exiting pipes and bring the exhaust out just in front of the rear wheel. I understand some folks have side exhausts - would this be the same thing? What would the noise level be like for the driver's left ear? Sound quality? clearance? would a hanger be necessary if the two pipes had a welded connecting plate between them? Other thoughts? I drag that expensive stainless steel a lot more than I'd prefer...
Thanks,
Doug
Doug--

It is not difficult to fabricate a hangar and clamps to accomplish what you want.
It helps if you wear removable hearing aids as the higher sound level is most annoying to anyone over age 18.