• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Battery cut-off switch options... or???

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
I've had a few cars where I installed a battery cut-off switch. You know, one of those screw types that disconnects a battery terminal as a way to further secure a car. In prior Minis, this was easy to use because one merely went to the boot and did it, and then locked the boot. No power.

I've also often seen those "red key" types used on Bugeyes. That's where there is a BIG key that one turns and removes to interrupt power. However, I'm not sure where best to put one. I did see a nice application where one was put on the front of the panel above the transmission tunnel (and I presume wired directly to the close-by battery from there). I've also seen them on a dash (ugly to me on an original-looking car) or hidden under the dash. These switches (which one can find for about $12-15 at auto discount stores) can handle 200+ amps and are designed for major power cut-off. Would you or do you use one, and if so where is it?

Next, a more important, question. Why not simply have a low amperage HIDDEN switch that disables something like the fuel pump or ignition (as a secondary one)? Is this crazy? If someone can figure it out, maybe they deserve to steal the car. :wink:

Your thoughts would be appreciated.
- Mark

D

Deleted member 8987

I think vehicle theft is secondary to some....more of a keep the silly thing from burning your house down if the wiring shorts (and we know we can count how many fuses are used...). Some probably would use a hidden switch to prevent theft....but someone intent on stealing a classic isn't gonna drive it away....most likely roll it up in the back of a van and off they go, sort out the hidden parts later on.
One of my cars (still have it), had an anti-theft device built by the PO...drilled a hole in the bottom of the distributor, split the wire from coil to points, ran zip cord (lamp cord) taped in the wiring harness all the way back through the firewall, to a pull-to-energize switch (interior lamp dash switch, in this case) mounted in the back wall of the glove box. Get to work, open the glovebox, smack the pile of road maps, car is dead and cannot be hot-wired. Ingenious, but removed shortly after my purchase 42 years ago.

If all you want is to disable it, yeah, hidden switch to break current to whatever will keep it from running.

I had to put one of those knob-types in a 2000 Jeep Wrangler a month or so ago. So much computer/radio memory/alarm system draw it killed the battery in two week's time.

bug_sixty

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
yea this is mostly about your feelings and not much about the car getting taken in real time.. Most cars are taken for parts (a joy ride here and there) and who would think they could sell bug parts easily...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've a battery terminal screw type on the MGB, a fuel pump switch (hidden in plain sight) in the Loti.

...and NOBODY would steal the Alfa. So rusted and beat up it appears it wouldn't make it across the street. :wink:

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
Battery cut off switches are a good idea, as mention our cars are not everyday drivers so they sit idle for extended periods of time. A cut off will save the battery life and energy. It will prevent fires, and it will deter relatives or friends of relatives that have no conscience from playing with your car while you are away. And lastly it will protect your car from a bank robber on the lamb from using your car as a get away solution.

If you use one please call Summit racing (example) and purchase a heavy duty switch.I perferr the ones with the throw arm (as a home panel box switch)
mounted out of sight. Normally I place mine under the hood at postive battery post so the hood needs to be opened. No big deal since I use mine for storage value and I apply as I check oil etc..

For the anti theft part I use a simple on/off coil lead switch mounted in plane sight. The reason I don't do the fuel pump is because car can be driven a short distance if someone borrows it,They thump and drum roll when activated,and if a kid playing in car cranks by mistake in gear..

With a coil cut off it will never start

OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks all. Excellent points. Yeah, I really wouldn't leave the car much out-of-sight, but there are times. Stealing a Frogeye would be a bit more conspicuous than your average Ford Taurus. So, almost any sort of ignition or fuel circuit cut-off would do the job.

Not sure why I didn't think of the obvious... that it would be to prevent the battery for draining or from a short. I saw a car with a small trickle-charger built right in the engine-bay.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Almost all boats have built in trickle-chargers.

Miss Agatha does not and has a generator as well.

Has never needed charging or not started when desired.

For long term storage just pull the short cable from battery to firewall. All done.

equiprx

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I have a bulkhead mount type that came on my donor car. Can't work on anything I have so is available for the cost of shipping, and a box of cookies.

Attachments

• 26851.jpg
    26851.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 135
OP
Boink

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Cookies, eh? Sounds a bit steep.
Actually, I'm going to wait a bit, but thanks for the kind offer. :smile: