• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Battery Cable Specs

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Da bigga da betta ... that's a long run to the solenoid. IIRC, we used 00 welding wire for my BN2. Also, the connection to the terminals is critical; either solder or a proper crimp.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Da bigga da betta ... that's a long run to the solenoid. IIRC, we used 00 welding wire for my BN2. Also, the connection to the terminals is critical; either solder or a proper crimp.
I agree 100% the welding wire is also very flexible.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I agree 100% the welding wire is also very flexible.
As with everything there is a debate as to which--batter cable or welding cable is "better". There are pro's and con's with each. FWIW I have always used battery cable on any boats or cars--including my race cars but that's just me. In any case be sure to use high-grade terminals either soldered or staked and well insulated, harnesses, clamps, etc. so you don't have any issues with chafing.

DarvinR

Great to hear welding the wire is recommended here. We'll just finish installing the suspension from 4Wheelonline onto the Jeep Wrangler and we'll start working on buddy's new BN6 project.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Darvin--

Just because some members use welding cable does not mean it is recommended or your best choice. Before deciding between battery or welding cable I would suggest that you spend an hour googling about and make your own decision on what is best for you. Bob S. is a pretty smart guy and he must have his own reasons for using it. I think I am pretty smart too and I only use battery cable, even on my race cars where weight is an issue.

Invest some time and form your own opinion.

Jake

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
What's the load your solenoid pulls? You'll need to know that to properly size the cable. You can always overshoot, but why not do it right?
See if you can find a copy of SAE-J1127, good info in there about low voltage battery cables.

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
... Bob S. is a pretty smart guy and he must have his own reasons for using it. I think I am pretty smart too and I only use battery cable, even on my race cars where weight is an issue.

Invest some time and form your own opinion.

My dad bought the welding wire; I had no input on his decision (we also used solder-type terminals, and had to use an oxy-acetylene torch to get good flow on the wire). I agree research is called-for; I'd be curious about the pros and cons myself. The welding wire is pretty stiff; maybe battery cable is more flexible? Both types are used in applications where current is significant, and voltage drop is not desirable. I know cheaper jumper cables can get hot with much load (I have a battery load tester with small cables, and I can only use it for a few seconds before the cables feel like they're about to melt).

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
What's the load your solenoid pulls? You'll need to know that to properly size the cable. You can always overshoot, but why not do it right?
See if you can find a copy of SAE-J1127, good info in there about low voltage battery cables.
What's the load your solenoid pulls?:
-What in da world does this have to do with the load on the battery cable.---????

Jake

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Ah, bad question on my part, I read solenoid above. How about this as a more general question?
What's the max current load expected to be drawn through this cable? Length is already stated at ~6ft. The load is going to be a key parameter if you don't want to oversize/undersize the cable.

Jake

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
A general rule of thumb is 1 amp starter draw/1in3 of engine displacement. BN6 is approx 161 in3 displacement. You also need to add your ground cable length to get the total cable length for sizing. 2AWG is rated for 150 amps over 10' with a 2% voltage drop, just FYI.
Also go for solid copper rather than CCA if you have a choice.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Jake :

You makin DR OHM's cry in his grave.--LOL

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
What about soldering up copper plumbing pipe and coating it with tool dip? Then it could double as the fuel line.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
:bananawave: YEAH !

Bob_Spidell

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
What about soldering up copper plumbing pipe and coating it with tool dip? Then it could double as the fuel line.

Hmmmmmmmmmm ... dunno about that. I was fabbing some brake line on my BN2 and while fitting I touched the line to the neg. terminal on the two batteries (those burns got a LOT uglier before they got better, and took weeks to heal):

BurntFingers.JPG