• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Backfiring

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Emma (my '75) is backfiring. It's coming from the carbs, I'm certain of that. When I start her (with or without a choke start) and lasting several minutes.

Suggestions guys?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
So, its spitting through the carb throats?

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Seems to be. I just got home with her, haven't popped the bonnet yet. Wanted her to cool down some, for a cold start. Might have wait til morning...

She seems to be revving high too, about 15-1600. I set it back down to about 850 or so, but it inched back up on the 30 minute drive to Lowe's. Bad spring in there?

startech47

Jedi Knight
Check the carb. to intake manifold fasteners and the intake manifold to block fasteners. If them are coming loose you will have a vacuum leak that can cause these symptoms. This happened on my Sprite. Phil

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
You know, those bolts that came loose (i.e., out) on the flange at the downpipe a month or so ago? We replaced those, and there was no backfiring before that. I wonder if that could be it? (air leak?)

startech47

Jedi Knight
The intake or carb. fasteners could have started to loosen at the same time. Generally the air leak would be on the intake side causing the engine to speed up and not the exhaust side, but the vibration could have loosened up both sets of fasteners. This is an easy check, just make sure they are tight with a wrench and start er up. Phil

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Skeeters are eating me alive, I'm going to do some more looking and checking in the morning. I'm sure it has to be an air leak somewhere.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Janel, Did you find the problem with Emma? When you do, would you post the cure for us? Would appreciate it. Thanks. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif PJ

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Had another issue with her that was a bit more pressing. Friday Chuck took her out, got caught in a traffic blockage on the JB Bridge road (construction) She died. Didn't overheat, but wouldn't restart. Had to flatbed her home (4 or 5 miles from our house) So we addressed that issue yesterday, had a wedding yesterday, was gone all day today. Haven't really driven her to get to the backfiring - wondering if it was related? He'll take her out tomorrow and I'm driving her to a concert at the amphitheater (John Fogerty) on Tuesday. I'll get back with ya on this by Wednesday.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Vapor lock?

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Gas wasn't flowing, ended up changing the filter and took her for a 15 minute run afterwards, ran fine. Haven't had the opportunity to take her out any longer yet.

borjis

[ QUOTE ]
Vapor lock?

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it true that B's with electric fuel pumps that push fuel can vapor lock?

I keep hearing it isn't possible, though I think it may have happened on my 71 2 weeks ago. (see weird fuel pump issue thread.)

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Oh, they will - especially if the heat shield between the carb & exhaust is shot or missing!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I had a vapor lock problem with my 72 when the outside temp went in the 90s. It happened when running slow for a period of time in traffic at Myrtle Beach. (Don't know why I was there, can't stand the place), anyway, I found that the fuel supply line as it runs behind the engine was so hot, you couldn't touch it. Crazy as it sounds, I bought fuel line insulating tubing from Whitney, color black, slid it over the supply line from the filter around behind the engine and down the passenger side fire wall and haven't had the problem since. The black color kinda makes it dissapear and you don't even notice it being there. Worked for me. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif PJ

borjis

^^
was the car running the entire time when it happened?

or had you parked for awhile then it happened?

could you hear your fuel pump ticking or was it silent?

I think the exact thing happened on my car recently. I dread having to change the pump as its brand new and the car restoration I started in 1996 just completed finally this summer.

I wanna drive the thing. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
[ QUOTE ]
I found that the fuel supply line as it runs behind the engine was so hot, you couldn't touch it.

[/ QUOTE ]

The fuel line actually came from the factory with a piece of metal protecting it from heat...it was kinda "L" shaped & attached to the bottom edge of the heater...fuel & electrical lines ran behind it & electrical lines were attached to a corner of it.

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Ran the car 30 minutes to Sarah's loft, highway and downtown STL city driving. Didn't backfire at all when I started her, didn't 'die.'

~shrugs~

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
The little metal heat shield is in place Tony, but it was very hot that day at the beach, close to 100, in heavy traffic running from slow to stop and the temp gauge was running about three quarters up and it never gets over half. As soon as I could get away from that situation, everything seemed to go back to normal. It might never vapor lock again but, I put the fuel line insulation on just as a precaution. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif PJ

OP
jaybird

jaybird

Yoda
Country flag
Didn't backfire last night on a 45 minute ride to the concert, nor on the way home.

Backfired a dozen times today in a mile. Go figure. Tearing into her tomorrow evening.