• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Back from a week camping in Arizona

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Wife and I had been scheduled to take a cruise to Alaska for our 46th this month, but it was cancelled due to not being able to stop in Canada over COVID (there is some law that says a non-US flagged ship can't go from one US port to another without stopping at some intermediate foreign port). But I digress.

We decided that, since we could not go on a cruise, we would rent a camper (from the local Air Force base) and go to one of our favorite places - Sedona, AZ. We actually ended up camping just south of Flagstaff, but Sedona was an easy drive south and we spent a good deal of time there. We also visited an old mining town called Jerome (coincidentally, my wife is from Jerome, ID). This Jerome is now more or less a tourist trap, but it was a fun place to visit (and a fun place to drive to as the town is built into the side of a mountain and the road up there is full of switchbacks). We also did a lot of hiking at a place called Red Rock park, south of Sedona.

But the icing on the cake were the two times we drove up to the Grand Canyon. The whole trip was great and the roads were all in great shape, save for a few areas we hit where they were doing some road construction in western New Mexico (not surprising as the harsh winters in that part of thew state are hard on the roads). The weather was mostly pleasant, except that it was quite windy on the day we drove out to AZ (which makes for some "interesting" driving when you're pulling a 3000+ pound trailer). Here are a few pictures from what turned out to be a great week.

Note that the last picture was my attempt to replicate an image that pops up as the first image you see if you Google "Flagstaff" and go to the image tab. I tried to take this picture of Mt Humphreys from about the same location (My image is a little further back and wider angle)

rpod.jpg

Sedona is like being on another planet - I'll be back!
Sedona-1664.jpg

House of Apache Fire - built by Helen and Jack Frye (Once President of TWA). Now part of Red Rock State Park.
Apache Fire-1678.jpg

Jerome-1679.jpg

Jerome-1681.jpg

Grand Canyon-1692.jpg

Grand Canyon-1700.jpg

Sunset from Hopi Point
Grand Canyon-1876.jpg

Mount Humphreys - northwest of Flagstaff:
Flagstaff-1778.jpeg

Attachments

• Sedona-1664.jpg
    Sedona-1664.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Those are such great photos! And the Sunset from Hopi Point - what a beautiful, almost mystical, scene.

Welcome home!
Tom M.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Those are such great photos! And the Sunset from Hopi Point - what a beautiful, almost mystical, scene.

Welcome home!
Tom M.
Thanks! It was a great week. Can't wait to do it again! We also went to a place called "Walnut Canyon National Monument" - where indigenous peoples (about 900 years ago) lived in the sides of the canyons. We went of a nice hike in that canyon too. (I have some pictures but have not loaded them into my computer yet)

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Great photos Bas. I'm happy you guys were at least able to get out and have a trip for your anniversary. Congratulations on 46 years.

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
Congrats on 46 years. We’re celebrating our 47th in FL this week.
We’ve been to Sedona a couple of times and really enjoy the town. The last time we took the Pink(?) Jeep tour and really liked that.
Beautiful country and thanks for the pics.

Last edited:

Bob McElwee

Jedi Warrior
Gold
Country flag
It very well may have been. We really enjoyed the stop in Albuquerque and the train ride to Santa Fe
(I remember when I titled my post β€˜lunch with the Boss’) all the younger, relative to me, members thought we had lunch with Bruce Springsteen!). B-)

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Thanks! It was a great week. Can't wait to do it again! We also went to a place called "Walnut Canyon National Monument" - where indigenous peoples (about 900 years ago) lived in the sides of the canyons. We went of a nice hike in that canyon too. (I have some pictures but have not loaded them into my computer yet)
Terrific images, Sir!
My paternal grandparents visited those canyon dwellings, they were able to go into the "homes" there. Also visited Four Corners area and the Anasazi dwellings. I understand entering the dwellings is now restricted. Grandad used Kodachrome to document the journeys, big influence on a six-year-old! Influenced me as to my chosen profession early in life.

anarchy99

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I really like that camper, it looks like about the perfect size for a couple. Would a couple and a small kid work in it?

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Would a couple and a small kid work in it?
Yes, no doubt - BUT - this is not the camper I would recommend if I were to recommend one. It's an "ok" camper, but not built very well in my humble opinion. I've been researching small campers and, without spending a fortune on an Airstream, three that I have sort of zeroed in on are (in no particular order): Tab 400 (NuCamp), GeoPro and the Sol Horizon by inTech. For what it's worth - I'm not an expert but have been watching a ton of videos and reviews.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
great pics and a beautiful part of the world

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
In the one photo with the strata well defined, the K-Pg layer is obvious. Quite amazing.

OP
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
In the one photo with the strata well defined, the K-Pg layer is obvious. Quite amazing.
Hey, it may have wiped out 90 percent of life on Earth, but at least we got this really cool bracelet!

gonzo

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Sir Winston Churchill's mother thanks you for visiting Jerome, AZ. The Jennie Jerome connection to the "Billion Dollar" Copper Mines of the area. True to Herbert V. Young's book titled "They Came to Jerome", people from around the world were invested in Jerome's prospects in so many different and unique ways.
About 20 years ago, my wife and I visited Jerome in search of my own family history and were greeted with a sign at the town's entrance, "Welcome to the Wickedest City in the West".

Loved the photos. Thanks for sharing. Happy Anniversary.