• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Austin Healey 100 6 numbers

Stuart1006

Hi: I've I bought a Healey, that I think is a 1957 or 58 100-6. It is missing the information plaque in the firewall and I have not been able to locate the engine number. I do have a number from the title: C54641, but I do not know what does it represent: chassis or engine.

1. How can I get more information about the car? I own a 1953 MGTD and you can get all the manufacturing data (Chassis no., engine no., date of manufacture etc.)from a web site. Is there a similar site for Austin Healeys?

2. If not is there any way I can get this information?

Thank you very much.

Stuart J. Ramos

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi Ramos,

Sure we have a sight like that it just isn't located right around the corner. It is called the heritage trust and it is based in England. For a small fee [ www.heritage-motor-centre.co.uk/] they can tell you all you want to know about your car.---Keoke--- :wink:

Hey!!! Ramos, Have a buddy down there he owns a Grn BJ8 Healey but it is based here in the US with me "Bill Collins Texaspitbbq@hotmail.com" send him an E-Mail tell him Jorge in LA told you to call.---- :thumbsup:

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Stuart - Best of Luck with your 100-Six.
I would recommend the first thing to do would be to check Derek Job's site
www.healeysix.net. It has everything you need to know about the early cars. If your car is # 54641 it was built in 12/57 or 01/58
Also check on the inside of the cockpit trim, if it is an early 100-six, that should provide the car body number.
jim :driving:

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Hey Jim, thanks for that link. I have been spending considerable time researching a 100-6 and that site helps confirm my thinking.

Best to you and Derek.

Bill

OP
S

Stuart1006

Hi: Thank you everybody for your excellent help, you really have been very helpful.

JIM: I belive you are right about the built date, I had calculated late 57 early 58. When you say "check on the inside of the cockpit trim": What do you mean? Where in the cockpit should I look?

Thank a lot again.

Stuart

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The number C54641 is an engine number, but during this period the engine numbers and car numbers would be the same. Thus, the car number would be BN4L-O-54641 if it is left-hand drive and has an overdrive. (A right-hand drive car without overdrive would be BN4-54641). 54641 puts your car in the first batch of 100-6s, and Jim is correct about the build date.

It should have the "6-port head" which means that the intake manifold is separate from the intake manifold and the carburetors are at an angle, rather than bolted directly to the head and vertical.

The engine number plate should be on the left-hand (carburetor) side, down low, toward the front.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Stuart1006 said:
.... When you say "check on the inside of the cockpit trim": What do you mean? Where in the cockpit should I look?

The back side of the aluminum trim around the edge of the cockpit will have a body number stamped on it. It should be two 4-digit numbers. Each set of aluminum trim went with a specific car body.

healey106

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Stuart - I can only speak for the Longbridge The trim only has printed the 4 digits related to the body #. Also you should be able to find this 4 digit # located on
1 - the splash pan
2 - hood latch bracket
3 - hood hinge bracket and
4 - trunk lid prop bracket.
Refer to the Anderson and Moment guide pp 67-68. per the book the first 4 digits relates to an Austin/Jensen accounting number.
If 54641 is the true car #, then your BN4 was one of the earliest BN4s built in Abingdon, since the last Longbridge car was #54285, per Clausager.

Have fun searching for the numbers.
jim :driving:

John_SouthAfrica

Freshman Member
Hi Guys
I am John Reidy from South Africa. Having owned Healeys since 1966, I now find a problem I have never come across
I purchased a 100/6 and all I can find is an aluminum plate with the numbers 4178 and below to the right 179. This plate was on the firewall. On the reverse side of the plate are the number 4178 and again to the right but below 162. The number 4178 also appears on the bonnet release bracket.
What do these numbers mean and how can I trace the chassis number which will allow me to find out more details on the car.
Any help would be appreciated.

Regard

John

Tech396

Country flag
I have C/E # 56846 that was built in Feb 1958 at Abingdon, Body # 7954, Your number C54641 will represent both Chassis and engine numbers.

Hi: I've I bought a Healey, that I think is a 1957 or 58 100-6. It is missing the information plaque in the firewall and I have not been able to locate the engine number. I do have a number from the title: C54641, but I do not know what does it represent: chassis or engine.

1. How can I get more information about the car? I own a 1953 MGTD and you can get all the manufacturing data (Chassis no., engine no., date of manufacture etc.)from a web site. Is there a similar site for Austin Healeys?

2. If not is there any way I can get this information?

Thank you very much.

Stuart J. Ramos

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
This is the second 100-Six on the list in three weeks to have been 'discovered'. This car is from exactly the same period as the last one. It is a six port head car with the old style Longbridge interior and fittings but probably one of the first 100-Sixes to be made at Abingdon.

Just like the other one it's engine and gearbox were probably painted in the dark 'Morris Green' colour and not the light green metallic.