• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Austin A40 Somerset build

Sherlock

Yoda
Country flag
Nice! But please tell me that white stuff is dandruff - please....

You mean this stuff JP? :grin:

10650234103_0d556214f8.jpg

Bruce... There is one guy named Mike who lives near Regina who owns several Somerset's and various other British saloons, is that who you are referring to? I believe I still have contact information for him, I met him about ten years ago... I'm assuming he still lives there, haven't heard otherwise...

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
OP
B
You mean this stuff JP? :grin:

10650234103_0d556214f8.jpg

Bruce... There is one guy named Mike who lives near Regina who owns several Somerset's and various other British saloons, is that who you are referring to? I believe I still have contact information for him, I met him about ten years ago... I'm assuming he still lives there, haven't heard otherwise...
I'd sure like to get hold of some parts to help fix my babies , and yes that funny white stuff is here in full force, about 150 mm right now calling for another 4 cm tonight :sorrow:

OP
B
It's been a while since I was on this site and not much has been done on the Somersets. All 3 are under at least a foot of snow :sorrow: the original one of the 3 is tarped up so that funny white stuff won't get in and destroy any more of the old girl's dash. There's not much else that can be damaged with absolutely no interior but I also don't want it filled with snow and ice over the winter either.

OP
B
Monday I went to try bringing my 3rd Somerset, I might have known it wouldn't turn out very well. I had a scrap ambulance that I'd scored for some parts that I was in need of, just shy of the scrapyard we were pulled over by a peace officer driving a "Commercial vehicle inspection" truck.Photo0011.jpg After a complete roadside inspection turned up a set of non-working brakes a $115.00 fine was levied. From there we went and unloaded the van (no other surprises there). After receiving pay for it we headed over to the yard where the Somerset sits, I was told there would be someone there to help pull the old girl onto the trailer and the gate would be open.Photo0012.jpg HA HA BIG SURPRISE!!! YUP, locked and no one anywhere near with a key! By this time it is getting close to 4PM and the sun will be setting in less than an hour. The guy with the key finally showed up near 4:30 and let us in, guess what? The car is stuck solid in about 6" of ICE!!!Photo0013.jpg There's no loader or any piece of equipment available to pull it free until after 6PM when the previous owner gets off work and we're running with a trailer with no brakes or good marker lights (The wiring underneath decided to short soon after the inspection was done :rolleye: :livid:smile:So off we go empty handed :( The only thing good that came about Monday was my getting some much needed work as the trailer had to be re-inspected by me (I'm a licensed mechanic) and made a nice $80.00 for repairing a couple of wires and putting a battery in it. The former owner of the car told me he'd try to get it delivered to me on Saturday. I HOPE SO!!! It would be sweet to see which one of them I'll be restoring first!Photo0015.jpgPhoto0014.jpg

Last edited:
OP
B
The little black beauty is still sitting exactly where it was before Christmas and looks like it will be spring before I get it home :( This old girl is really not liking the move from Edmonton to Camrose Alberta :mad: My other projects are also at a stand still as they are buried in snow (which is melting quite nicely) presently. I do however have my International truck to work on inside the garage.

OP
B
Finally got my last little Somerset home today. It has been a real challenge as it seemed every time I went to get the old girl I would have nothing but problems. Even today I was wondering about it because it took over an hour to get the trailer, another hour to get across town, and about an hour and a half waiting on a train just about a block away from where the car was. After getting it loaded, thanks to a shop across the street loaning us a fork lift, I started out on my way home only to have the driver's door decide to spring open on the Yellowhead highway. I quickly pulled over and found some old bungie straps to hold it closed. From this point it was relatively smooth sailing except the load was a bit front heavy so I was only able to putt along at about 85 KPH.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Looks happy to be going to a good home - keep us posted!

OP
B
Today it was warm enough to go out and play with my babies, I knew the green one runs so just for fun I threw a battery and some jumper wires to the coil to try the black one. It ticked over and fired up quite nicely. I ran it for just a moment because I'm unsure as to the coolant in it (if there is any) and was just running on a Jerry can on the fender (wing if you prefer):cool::excitement::excitement: Now for the real:greedy_dollars::greedy_dollars::greedy_dollars:FUN restoring one of them!!!

Wayne's Austin

Freshman Member
Hello fellow A-40 owner! I also have an A-40 which is a long term "project). Currently have the body off the frame, and the engine on a stand. Working on the engine, which was rebuilt back in 1971, and has no miles, but it has an oil leak at rear main bearing. I am trying to resolve this issue. The frame is all rotted at the back half, so I am thinking about what to do there.....looks like it is beyond repair so am thinking of getting the back half re-fabricated from new. So, for me, this is a long term project. I plan to stay original, or close to it. How are your project going?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
welcome! and we would love to see pics, even of pieces. I am in Toronto and am aware of a yard with a number of A40's in it - not sure if the frames would be in any better shape of what the economy of shipping to Nova Scotia as opposed to fabricating but, they are out there.

Wayne's Austin

Freshman Member
Wow, that was a prompt reply! Thank you! Re the frame, does the yard in Toronto have a webpage? If not, the name would be great and I could at least have a chat with them. I will likely not get to the frame until later this year anyway although I may try to get some pricing on a re-fabricated section.