• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Arghhhh - what now

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Jim - just watched it - 3 questions

1. he said it doesn't work on an electronic ignition - but the 1500 has one does it not?

2. which lead do you go to on the coil?

3. by hot I presume he means the battery?

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
Could pull each plug and shoot starter fluid straight into each cylinder, just one blast, one cylinder at a time. See if it fires then.

RickB

Yoda
What about a plug wire directly from the coil to plug #1?

If you have gas and you have compression and you have the coil direct to #1 I don's see how you wouldn't have fire???

Sounds like you need to take a step back and simplify matters, that's why I suggest this. First see if you can get fire in a cylinder and then work back from there.

Just my $.05 (used to be 2 cents, but inflation is killing us)

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
yup, we need to determine that we have fire to all four plugs.

Maybe the smoke got out of the Dizzy.

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
JP-I forgot the 1500 dizzy is quite different from the 25D of the A series motor. Jack's got a good idea with checking for spark on all four plug wires. When you pull the spark plugs are they wet with gas?

Check for spark on #1 plug wire. If you've got spark there when turning the motor over, move to the next plug wire. No spark...then check your connection between the coil and distributor cap. Good idea to also check wires going to the coil.

abarth69

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Duncan pick me up on you way to JP's.

I know where he lives maybe.

JP need help? I could maybe come Sat.

Mark

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
OK - answers to questions. :crazyeyes:

1. have not done static timing yet
2. have marked 10deg BTDC
3. yes - plugs have been wet
4. yes it is a '76 California car - and yes desmogged
5. I know I have spark at #1 - haven't checked the others
6. I do have a new - plastic - 2 litre - generic - sodium free - diet coke bottle - does that count?

Didn't even look at the car today - went to my friends today and media blasted my last two rims and front springs - 2 1/2 hours - hot in long pants long sleeves and hood. BTW note to self - if you have a choice don't use coal slag media - I finished looking like the coal miners father.

He, Larry, was helping another friend wet sand his scootacar prior to the last coat of paint -

Here's the good news. Got home tonight and Reiner - a guy from my club (who lives around the corner Mark before you drive an hour +) had called and offered to come help. He has an amazing shop - 4 garage doors along the front and at least six along the side/back. also has milling machines etc. etc. His main car is a red Lagonda (if you've been to Bronte you've seen it. also has a lotus, a ferrarri or 2, a couple of Bitters and a big old caddy (off the top of my head)

hopefully he can help
I'll keep you posted

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
"yes - plugs have been wet"

You are not getting fire or not in the correct order, period.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I think you're right Jack - that's certainly where I am focussing

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Well - here's the word - it's the carburetor. Reiner came over and we spent 2 1/2 hours working on it. we did actually have it running - twice - but both times on brake cleaner. Took the carb off and mostly corrected the floats - again. now gas doesn't gush out any more. there seems to be a plunger issue. At any rate the plan for now is to enjoy the long weekend and Tuesday I'm bringing the carb to my local MG shop (yes just discovered we actually have one) and see what they can do to set it up properly.

In the meantime I have lots of small projects - finish installing front springs and hook up/ bleed brakes. sort out clutch put hardware on doors etc. etc.

will keep you posted.

George Zeck

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
JP -

Went through similar pains of phantom problems never allowing for top performance. Examing cost of rebuilding correctly the SU's vs. a Weber setup. I just went the weber (I know many who are familar with it and no one with the SU's -- local issue). I haven't been happier.

BTW - Still contemplating the Toronto show in Sept. 21st. If we go - I hope to have a domestic with you.

https://www.torontotriumph.com/suite/list/links.php?id=54

Tx-

George
Cleveland, OH

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
George Zeck said:
JP -

Went through similar pains of phantom problems never allowing for top performance. Examing cost of rebuilding correctly the SU's vs. a Weber setup.

I bet JP *wishes* he had SUs... :wink: but his 1500 has the dreaded Zenith Stromberg CD150, I believe!

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
you're right and he has been looking at webers on ebay

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
Honestly, with what I'm going through now (fuel pump swaps, stuttering / hesitation - see my new thread on my electric pump install) I think I'd go with fitting an SU to the existing manifold... I *think* it's a matter of drilling and tapping new studs, and maybe port matching. Pretty sure that's what Nial did with his 1500 racer.

But that may all change once I get the DGV sorted... ask me in a week! :wink:

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
saw the thread - actually Reiner did offer to make an adapter plate for an SU - and he has the shop and skill to do it

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Guess like your plugs we were all wet.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
jlaird said:
Guess like your plugs we were all wet.

Not ALL of us... :wink:

OK - I'm going back to my hole now! :angel: