• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Arghhhh - what now

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks for all this guys - I'll get on it hopefully today.

one question - of you go to Duncan's link, and then blkcorvair's picture - the vacuum housing seems to be pointing forward towards the front of the car. Is this correct? (is that a Zenith carb?) mine points towards the master cylinders.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
John, I say again. you are 180 out. Has to be. vacuum housing points up and toward the front a bit if all is correct.

Have you had that engine apart?

RickB

Yoda
More specific question - has the distributor been out?

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
RickB said:
More specific question - has the distributor been out?

yes it has been out but not apart

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
jlaird said:
John, I say again. you are 180 out. Has to be. vacuum housing points up and toward the front a bit if all is correct.

Have you had that engine apart?

yes, the engine is apart - and I will be trying the 180 out solution very soon - so far the wires seem to have been mixed up.

to confirm, the should go 1-3-4-2 anti clockwise?

from memory, mine were 1-2-3-4

Bruce_B

Jedi Warrior
1-3-4-2 anti-clockwise is right. Good luck.

Country flag
Wait. The 1500 and A-series have the same firing order? And both Dizzies go counterclockwise?

I don't have clue, but I'd consult my manual.

RickB

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Wait. The 1500 and A-series have the same firing order? And both Dizzies go counterclockwise?[/QUOTE]

Why mess with a good thing?
In fact the Nissan copy of the 1500 has the same order too.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
yes to same firing order - not sure about same rotation

I shouldn't be able to turn the rotor by hand when its bolted down should I?

Country flag
Nope.

jhorton3

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The rotor might wiggle back and forth a millimeter or so, but you shouldn't be able to turn it. If you're able to turn it then there's a problem with the distributor or with it sitting in the drive dog correct...or the drive dog isn't engaging the camshaft gear.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
No.

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
Hi JP,

I hadn't noticed when I did mine, but the gear on the bottom of the dizzy has a slot that is very slightly off-centre, meaning it only fits in one way.

With the tighening collar loosened, you should be able to turn the body of the distributor, but the rotor should remain fixed. If you can turn the rotor, loosen the dizzy fixing bolt, turn the rotor until it seats, and make sure the whole ass'y is 'down' as far as possible. Then time as above.

-D

startech47

Jedi Knight
No. You should not be able to turn the rotor when the distributor is bolted down. You should be able to wiggle it about 5 to 10 degrees. This is the mechanical advance. If the distributor drive is not seated fully than you will be able to turn the rotor. It could also be a broken locating tab inside the rotor.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
step back from the car and no one gets hurt

the story thus far

1. I am fairly certain the dizzy was 180 deg out - though I lost track - had it out at least three times before I relaized I also had to change the gear :wall: hence the one time I had it in backwards.

2. Am fairly certain the wires were out of order. they are in order (and have tried them in reverse order)

3. Pulled the valve cover and there is compression with #1 at TDC. And the rotor is pointing in the right direction.

4. Sounds robust when it turns over - but nothing - and no suction (apparantly - my son checked it not me) in the carb

nothing

time for a break

keep the suggestions coming.

Duncan - I tried what you suggested and seem to be having trouble with the concept - that and I am not currently in possesion of my drive shaft - I should get it tomorrow.

When folk talk about static timing - and the key on - is that in what is essentially the accessory position?

:madder: :thirsty: :computer: :confuse: :cheers: :thankyousign:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hmmm, don't think the carb will make suction unless the engine is running.

If you have fire at the plugs. Give it a shot of starter fluid. If still nothing it is still timeing.

bthompson

Jedi Warrior
Make sure you take the carb off if you squirt starter fluid
down the manifold -- it'll eat the rubber piston diaphram!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ok then throw some gas in there right through the carb. Use an old coke bottle.

OP
JPSmit

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
see it's turning robustly but not chugging like it really wants to start