• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Argh!

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
So I went to install the Spin-On filter for the TR3 just now and boy did I get a surprise when I removed the existing filter canister. NO OIL FILTER. Argh!

Good news is I only drove it like that for a total of a couple of miles and maybe twenty minutes of running time. Oil that was in there was fresh/clean at least but ARGH!

The spin-on filter went in just fine with no leaks so far. Thanks again for the help with the oil filter selection guys.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If it's any consolation, early TR motors did not filter the oil supplied to the bearings anyway. They had a bypass-type filter that returned the filtered oil to the crankcase and fed the oil galleries with pre-filter oil.

Something about the early felt-type filters not being able to pass enough oil for the galleries.

And the spin-on conversions won't fit those early engines unless you also change the filter head.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]NO OIL FILTER. Argh![/QUOTE]

I know that YOU didn't do that, so how did it happen???

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Brosky said:
I know that YOU didn't do that, so how did it happen???

Thanks for the vote of confidence Paul!

The PO was having some health issues and I think he just missed it. It never occurred to me to check it since he is actually a mechanically talented guy.

R

RonMacPherson

Fuggedah about it!

Now stop and think of how many air cooled VW engines were made that didn't have an oil filter..... more than a couple of dozen.

Oh granted they came with a "screen". But when I worked at a dealership in the 70's(Joe Vittone's Econo Auto Center in Riverside) we would see a number of cars come in that the owners had removed the screen completely.

So, for the short period of time your filter was gone, I wouldn't worry about it.