• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Argh! Jumping out of second gear now

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I'm kind of ticked off - at myself and chuckleheads on ebay. I finally got around to <span style="font-weight: bold">paying</span> to have the new TR4 gearbox installed since I already had the car partially disassembled (related to the starter problem being caused by disintegrating ring gear).

So the good news is that the starting problem is fixed - first turn of the key now and she's running.

The bad news is that the car is now jumping out of second gear. So I'm out the cost of the box and labor.....

My anger at the seller is balanced by my stupidity for not knowing better and being overly trusting. I feel like puking....

mrv8q

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
TD, I've read where 2nd gear will jump out if the wrong lubricant is used; I'm using GL-4 85-90WT oil in both my gearboxes.... what's in your <span style="text-decoration: line-through">wallet</span> gearbox?

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Hi Kevin.

There is very little in my wallet now <grin><sigh>

I'll have to double check with the shop, but I'm 99.99% sure they got the gear lube right. They are sharp and do good work in my experience.

That said, I SOOOOOO hope you are right.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Unfortunately, jumping out of 2nd is also a symptom of a badly worn countershaft & bearings, which is a common problem with the TR box.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:
Unfortunately, jumping out of 2nd is also a symptom of a badly worn countershaft & bearings, which is a common problem with the TR box.

*$^#@*&#*&T!*&#(*

OK - now I am [censored].

Thanks Randall.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I should mention that the box I pulled out didn't have this problem, and the strange noises where probably the rest if the ring gear pieces, not the box internals.

(I really do appreciate info - obviously not [censored] at you Randall.

hondo402000

Darth Vader
My TR6 jumps out of 3rd on deceleration, talked to John at quantum mechanics, he said the thrust washers were going and that it would start jumping out of second too, so far has not happended hopefully I can make it till this winter and have the box rebuilt

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Mine jumps out of third intermittently and never did before the engine removal. At that time, I also installed a new TRF plastic transmission tunnel and the new rubber boot (much thicker than the old worn unit) that goes around the shifter exit hole on the tunnel (not the one on top that you can see from inside the car) and it is hitting the rubber, so very intermittently, depending on speed and torque, it will jump out of third while coasting on deceleration.

I have to remove the center console and reposition it.

I hope that yours is a similar process.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
I think I need to bite the bullet and pull the box out and have it rebuilt.

How long / difficult of a job is to pull the transmission? The interior is already out as is the center support and tunnel...

Anyone in SoCal that I can bribe for help with pizza, beer, and oranges from the back yard? LOL.

G

tdskip said:
How long / difficult of a job is to pull the transmission? The interior is already out as is the center support and tunnel...

Pretty darn difficult, but doable. I have personally done mine 3 times, but don't have the back to do it again. Jack car up really high on good stands, support the engine (I sharpened an appropriately long piece of 2x4 and jambed it in front of the engine plate) and start unbolting. The hard part is muscling it back and up onto the floorboard.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
If you have the seats, carpeting and tunnel out, you are half way there. You need a good helper with a strong set of arms to help lift and turn it onto the passenger side.

Get new mounts while it's out and get those throttle shaft bushings replaced (never easier than now!!)

BTW, how's the heater hoses from the core to the fitting on the firewall? How's the heater motor and core, for that matter? Great project while the gearbox is out.