Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Hey Guest! British Car Forum has been supporting enthusiasts for over 25 years by providing a great place to share our love for British cars. You can support our efforts by upgrading your membership for less than the dues of most car clubs. There are some perks with a member upgrade!
**Upgrade Now** (PS: Upgraded members don't see this banner, nor will you see the Google ads that appear on the site.)
I need to replace the bump stops on my trailing arms (TR6) and I have no idea how to go about it. The rubber was pretty worn and just feel apart when I tried to un screw it.
Try PBBlaster and heat with a torch around the outside of the threads. Then clamp the remaining bump stop with waterpump pliers or vice-grips and crank it out.
PB Blaster is available in most auto stores, Walmart too I think. It's a spray penetrating-type oil that will help loosen stuck bolts, rusty bolts and the like. Work great with heat. Ventilate the air.
I have no less than three cans at any given time. I've tried them all, Kano Labs Kroil, LiquidWrench, CRC, Rust Reaper. Pretty much the same thing, but PB is much easier to find.
Tomorrow, heat around the outside of the threads with a propane or MAPP torch. This will expand the threaded hole and the bolt will come out easier. Work the bolt out then turn it back in a little, then back out a little more as you work. Keep the area hot with the torch. Aluminum doesn't melt until around 1400F so with a propane torch it would be hard to melt it, but don't overheat it, just get it hot enough to get the bolt out.
There's actually another method you might try. Heat the area (as above) and then rub the broken bolt with a wax candle until it melts down into the threads. The wax gets into the threads and forces the bolt out. I've never tried this but hear that it works.
This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.