• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Any Ideas

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I friend gave me this part and said he thought he knew what it was. After looking I can find nothing to confirm his idea.Can anybody ID this part and what car would it go to. It looks like a great way to add 3.5 pounds to your car. It does have a number on it (V2794S)

Attachments

• 27166.jpg
    27166.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 489

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
It looks like an item that is used on some TR4s to reduce resonance vibration at 3000 RPM in the exhaust pipe. It is mounted towards the rear end of the gearbox and is commonly called a "lump".

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
:iagree:

Except I think it's P/N 132604 and called a "weight and bush assembly, vibration damper".

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
4A's as well I think - the side strap makes me think its from a 4A probably for the exhaust but I might be wrong.

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
:iagree:

Exhaust related for sure.

Lou Metelko

Jedi Trainee
The 4A non OD transmission (CT72579) in my garage has that damper attached at the very rear. That side strap went forward to a brace that also holds the reversing switch.

Lou Metelko
Auburn, Indiana

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
It was wrapped on the back of the transmission and whether it worked or not is up for debate. I have even saw them on the back of a overdrive.

Wayne

PS I got one if you think you need another LOL.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Yep had one on the back of the non-overdrive transmission that was in my original TR4A. I'm sure I have it in a box somewhere with the rest of the parts that were left after I converted it to overdrive.

Scott

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well my friend was right in his thinking. One of many high tech ideas used by Triumph. I may have to get a TR4 so I can put it to use.

Maybe I could paint it real nice and use it as a Christmas tree ornament.

OP
M

mallard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Well I've never seen one of these before and now there's one for sale on Ebay (strange).

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
It's on my 4A as well. The strap goes between the damper and the cup that contains the shift lever on the top cover. The through bolt of the cup goes thru the strap, the cup, the top cover and the shift lever.
No association with any back up light switch that I've ever seen. TR4A's never came with back up lights. 250's yes. Don't know if this damper was installed on 250's.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
That's curious, since the SPC shows "Fitted from gearbox No CT17815 up to Gearbox No CT35719". Is it possible your car has received a transplant?

And, not to be too picky, but a backup (aka reverse) lamp was listed as an optional accessory for TR2 through TR4A. I don't know how many were actually fitted, but it seems likely there were at least a few. However I agree that there was no strap to the switch, since it was installed like an OD switch through the top cover (except over the reverse rail).

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
TR3driver said:
That's curious, since the SPC shows "Fitted from gearbox No CT17815 up to Gearbox No CT35719"...

Mine is in that range and indeed had one. When I replaced the original gearbox with an OD I retained that mini-boat anchor. What wuz I thinking? Things are crowded enough (and heavy enough) back there w/o having that thing. Next gearbox R&R I may end up with a new paperweight.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
I think they went past that number and definitely into the 4A's. I've seen too many 4A's with them. Perhaps they were not mounted universally, however? Possibly some ad hoc testing and the dampener added as needed?

sail

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
My originally non OD 4A has a strap from the shifter to the gearbox mount and exhaust bracket but no damper.

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Well what was I thinking. That strap does go to the exhaust bracket not the top cover (my bad)There is another strap that goes from the Trans mount to the top cover. Randall, I wonder where the one TR3 thru TR4A with Backup lights fitted originally from the Factory is now, seriously I wonder how many were actually fitted. I know some others have done what I've done and drilled and tapped the top cover and installed a back up light isolator switch. My friends laugh at me but I don't care, it's my car.
There is a photo of the rear of my car on this site that shows the BU Light below the left side rear.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I guess you could ask Bill Piggott; he found one to take a picture of.

D

Deleted member 8987

Several other marques used weights that bolted to a drilled ridge under the tailshaft housing, and some either/and a weight bolted onto the nose of the diff.

However, one would think that part shown could be used to balance out a badly bent driveshaft in an emergency.

Joke, son, just a joke!

JerryVV

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I tried to communicate with Mr Piggott once and was told he didn't use e-mail so I wrote a message to his publisher with a clarification for his book. He lists colors and interior choices for TR4A's as fitted from the Factory. My combination is not listed so I thought he'd be interested in a clarification. The responses that I got were basically that he knew better than anyone what was and what was not supplied, Thank You very much and we won't try to get your message to him as he's a very busy and very important person who doesn't want to be disturbed. My opinion of him is different at this point. His books are all very nice but they are just that. I'd consider John McCarthy to be a much better source for information. All Mr Piggott would have needed to do is some research at the Heritage Foundation and he could have verified my information. I guess is's too important for that.