• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Another Van!!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
BIBBER said:
OK ...had to do it...Wallace & Gromit are now part of the BCF family....

Cracking Choice!

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
All

talked for quite awhile with the seller of my new A-35 his name is Ian...he brought the Austin over with him from the UK and remorsefully was letting it go...he agrees he has never seen another yet in the states and it has some unique features, pull starter like my 62 Sprite, toggle switch wipers and get this, flip up side windows not roll ups...I can't wait..he also has quite a collection of collector cars himself including LBC's, German and I guess it's OK..some U.S. made classics. I introduced him to the BCF so hopefully he pays a visit....

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Fantastic! Really glad that went to a "local" friend, now we all get to see more pictures. Congrats on your newest addition.

Twosheds

Darth Vader
BIBBER said:
OK ...had to do it...Wallace & Gromit are now part of the BCF family....but MA says HERBIE has gotta go....somebody make me an offer!!!!

I'm having my own moment of insanity here, but what will you take for Herbie?

I've been enamoured with that body style since 1977 when I looked at one to buy. I was going to put tools and parts and stuff in it and drive it to little airstrips that didn't have a maintenance base and look for work. Sort of an itinerant airplane fix-it business. The body looked great, but it turned out to have rust underneath that compromised the structural integrity of the unibody. I was bummed. I bought an MGB for the same price. Only, no place to put tools. Probably worked out for the best...

I could live with those windows, I guess. Is it driveable to Maryland?

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
john

I'll PM you...

BIBBER

Jedi Knight

Attachments

• 6637.jpg
    6637.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 41

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
pickup of the A-35 scheduled for Tuesday from Kodak, Tennessee...I can't wait....the wife is actually excited about this one after I introduced her to the Wallace & Gromit theme...got 2 going out bound the TR3 to Texas and the Morris to Maryland and the Austi inbound from Tennessee...need a traffic cop out here!!!!!

I actually got my number of projects down to an acceptable level (according to my wife) so I changed my signature tag line....little does she know it's strategic positioning for my next spring fling.....let's see an MGA, that Lotus Elan...that.....

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
WALLACE & GROMIT just left Kodak, Tennessee next stop Fremont, NE...yaahooo!...Hope that trucker keeps her above any flood waters going through down south!!!

Attachments

• 6885.jpg
    6885.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 41

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Wallace & Gromit arrived home tonight from Tennesee or I should say this morning at 1:00 a.m. I love how these transport firms say we deliver and pickup on your schedule...yea as long as you're willing to never get your car picked up or delivered...long story but anyway it's safe and sound...cute little devil but of course will need some cosmetic sprucing up...truck driver, however, left with the keys still in his pocket. So until I drive to where he spent the night at a motel in Missouri Valley, IA an hour away to pick them up Saturday morning won't be able to fire him up...always something...guess I could hot wire the key switch...No...I'll show some patience..with my luck I'd short circuit out the whole wiring harness...

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Well, its almost yours!

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Tony...and what's really funny is this has the old pull knob for the starter like my Spridget...like anybody could figure that one out but a BRIT...let alone I'm not sure why anyone would even want to steal this kid???? those BRITS crack me up....a key!!!

OH...it just came to me...a visible kill switch...BRILLIANT!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Glad it made it home safe and sound, and even happier that it went to a good home.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I've got a new pull starter to install in my '63 Midget this winter when we do a clutch job!

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Tony..

The only mechanical I <u>MUST</u> do on this is the brakes...drove it a couple times with just the hand brake (little dangerous)....The seller sent me a disc package but I'm just not comfortable getting into the conversion so I think I'm going to go ahead and order cyclinder rebuild kits (2 on each wheel) and new brake pads from BULL MOTIF in the UK and just keep them hydraulics.hopefully that's all it needs refurb cyclinders are $125 ea w/exchange......have you ever done any disc conversions?

You know I also just noticed if you take a close look at that Wallace & Gromit picture that started all this on one of the posts at the beginning of this thread...check out all that rust around the front end..door and dents...mine's much cleaner than that and still the original paint!!

https://www.britishcarforum.com/bcforum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/340437/fpart/1

<span style="color: #3333FF">BTW: may not be able to sync up on your KC trip...the wife and I are thinking about going ahead and head down this Sunday just to drop in on the ALL BRIT at Marriot KCI...I'm trying to find out tough when everyone starts heading out...don't want to show up to an empty parking lot!!!</span>

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]have you ever done any disc conversions?[/QUOTE]
On MG's, yes - anything else, no! My V8 MGB has disc's on the rear!

Ah, we'll get togther another time - I'm probably gonna be busy anyway with briefings.....I'ver not been to the KC show in years but it was always a good one

ThomP

Jedi Warrior
I have posted this multiple times. This was taken well before Wallace and Grommet was released. This is the A30 Countryman. You have 948ccs in the engine compartment, I have 803ccs.

You might do well just adjusting your brakes. The double cylinder units work pretty well if they are adjusted to factory specs every 6 months.
Do%20I%20See%20game.jpg

Her name is Zuri. She is looking for game.

By my count, there are 4 of these vehicles in the USA. Ironically, there are two in South Florida and members of the same car club!

Cheers

OP
Steve

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Thom, that is a great looking little car. My school had one of these that sixth-formers in the school's car club were allowed to putz around with, together with an old Morris Minor. Yours is MUCH nicer than that one was!

Zuri is beautiful as well. Rhodesian Ridgeback?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Bibber - I almost think its so rare that you want to keep it original.

BIBBER

Jedi Knight
Thom very sharp..a nice looking mate...was a very avid duck hunters in my years would live on the weekends in the blind...but never hunted with a Ridgeback...another rarity...

Exactly why I bought the A.35....for it's rarity in the states..I had only bought a Morris Van a month earlier but found this and the MM re-sold very quickly. I do plan on showing it but not planning on restoring to show quality ...I am going to call it a working class (kind of like Zuri) who knows I may start a whole new category for shows...and I am doing the Wallace & Gromit theme on it but if you look closely at the W&G it's pretty rusty and battered. My original Surf Blue paint is in very good shape and I'm planning on just cleaning up typical rain gathering rust creases and airbrushing..

On the brakes I agree...I am planning to put up on racks and pulling on the drums this weekend to do an analaysis so I can order any required rebuilding parts...where did you acquire parts for yours..so far only place I have found with any good stock is Bull Motif in UK...

Thanks for sharing.........I actually am more excited with the A.35 than I have been with some of my roadsters..