• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

AngliaGT - calling Doug! calling Doug!

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Mark. I did check that out. You're limited to 500 pounds per day, so 15,000 lbs would take 30 shipments.

Current pricing is $67 for the first 100 lbs; then 57 cents for each pound over that.

So at $295 for each 500 pounds, which is regardless of mileage, it would total $8850 or thereabouts.

Boink

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
Thanks Mark. I did check that out. You're limited to 500 pounds per day, so 15,000 lbs would take 30 shipments.
Current pricing is $67 for the first 100 lbs; then 57 cents for each pound over that.
So at $295 for each 500 pounds, which is regardless of mileage, it would total $8850 or thereabouts.

Yikes! I think it's changed since I last used them (in 2011).

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Iā€™ve used Greyhound years ago to ship a large box. It was very economical but probably not for the amount of books you have.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
To add some reality to all the words, here's a view of *some* of the boxes. A prize awaits anyone who can guess what aircraft is behind them!

Storage.jpg

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
My guess: B-17

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Fortress (17) was a tail dragger, so the tail was only up in the air when the plane was flying. Superfortress was tricycle gear - so tail was always off the ground.

And now for your Great Reward!

By the way, when the Superfortress was first introduced, there were so many engine problems it was often called the SNAFUperfortress.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Thanks Tom I am so grateful for the handshake... words escape me :rolleye:

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Why not call a local shipping company? Most truckers charge per mile and at 15,000 you are far from the weight limit of a semi.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks Walt. I do have calls in to some local (and regional) companies. They're not easy to get details from, but I'm hangin' in there. One thing for sure, they don't like email but they sure like talking (and talking) on the phone. One guy wanted to tell me the story of how he built the company, in between gulps of the sandwich he was eating, and incoming calls on his other cell. yeesh

Tom M.

Popeye

Darth Vader
Bronze
Country flag
Tom, if you were looking for a garage, you could (1) buy a shipping container, (2) ship the materials to/from the scanning outfit, and (3) convert the shipping container into an awesome tandem garage!

But seriously, you could buy a container, use it (have a trucking company drive it to/from), and then re-sell - I assume a used container does not depreciate much??

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Thanks Walt. I do have calls in to some local (and regional) companies. They're not easy to get details from, but I'm hangin' in there. One thing for sure, they don't like email but they sure like talking (and talking) on the phone. One guy wanted to tell me the story of how he built the company, in between gulps of the sandwich he was eating, and incoming calls on his other cell. yeesh

Tom M.

there has got to be an online bidding website - especially if time is not a big deal and you can catch an empty run back..

there is one for cars - has to be one for freight!

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Hi JP - there's at least one. I tried it for about twenty minutes last night. Never got it working - kept saying "invalid entry", but never told which field was invalid.

https://www.uship.com/ltl-freight/

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
OK, here is another thought - who are your corporate sponsors? and, more to the point is there a local mover or cartage company who would be willing to drive it out for a plaque on the wall? It is amazing to me how generous people can be - but you need to ask well (not just a phone call but a letter from the chair of the board or ???)

Or, even the local military?

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
If you can get someone on the other end to help, you might want to look into terminal-to-terminal services like Forward Air offers. It's been a few years back, but I had roughly 1500 pounds shipped to LAX from IAH (by ground, not air) and the cost was under $200. My memory is fuzzy on details, but ISTR they supplied the pallet and gaylord plus banding them together for only a slight extra fee.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Some more thoughts: 2 trips with a U-haul truck. Or two drivers and two trucks. Half of 15,000 lbs is 7500, not 7400, but I'm pretty sure no one will complain about such a small overload. If worst comes to worst, you can always add a trailer to one of the trucks.

Or, if you can find someone with a CDL (commercial drivers license), it appears that Penske can rent a truck to carry 17,000 lbs
https://www.pensketruckrental.com/c...uty-trucks/22-26-foot-box-truck-CDL-required/

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks for the suggestions. We'll be choosing the materials for scanning over the next few months. Should be quite a project. I've also found several organizations (archive.org, TRAIL, AirCorpsLibrary, etc.) that do large collection image work, so when we're ready to proceed, now I've got some shipping ideas.

Thanks all.
Tom M.