• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

AngliaGT - calling Doug! calling Doug!

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Ballpark figure for Amtrak shipping of 15,000 lbs of books is around $7000.00. Limit is 500 lbs per day, so it would take 30 different shipments.

Actually puzzles me that they didnt' ask for pickup and destination points, so $7000.00 seems to cover 100 miles or 3000 miles or anything in between.

hmmmm

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Ballpark figure for Amtrak shipping of 15,000 lbs of books is around $7000.00. Limit is 500 lbs per day, so it would take 30 different shipments.

Actually puzzles me that they didnt' ask for pickup and destination points, so $7000.00 seems to cover 100 miles or 3000 miles or anything in between.

hmmmm

That was the "per mile" price :rapture:

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Tom,

Sounds like a rental truck won't work in this case.
About 2-1/2 years ago,I rented a Penske truck.It was about
$425 from Grants Pass,Oregon to Richmond Virginia.I thought
that was a great deal.
The only bad thing was that I had to drive 3 hours to
pick it up,as they didn't rent in Eureka.
Also try uship.com.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
It it something you could

1. Find funding for a student to do - is there an archives program at a college in the area?

2. Access unused equipment at a college in the summer?

3.Partner with a local company? (Staples - making memories last or some such things)

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Crowdsource it in the community - everyone take three books.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Doug - " ... a Penske truck.It was about $425 from Grants Pass,Oregon to Richmond Virginia"

Wow - that sounds great. Can't believe it would be so much less than the $2500 from UHaul for one 26 foot box truck. I'll also check UShip.

Dave - I've requested a quote from PODS. They seem to be a bit difficult to get info from however. Also, thanks for the PM yesterday.

JP - I've been trying all those suggestions. Haven't given up yet! But this is a big project, and having non-professionals do scanning of old reference documents doesn't usually end well.

Tom M.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
and having non-professionals do scanning of old reference documents doesn't usually end well.

Tom M.

Note the earlier post about mis-scanned books. I can guarantee the ones doing the scanning are making minimum wage and were not hired for their extensive scanning experience and PhDs. Besides - you might have no choice.

DavidApp

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I did notice that PODS only had dimensions on their site. No mention of maximum weight for each size of pod.

David

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Note the earlier post about mis-scanned books. I can guarantee the ones doing the scanning are making minimum wage and were not hired for their extensive scanning experience and PhDs. Besides - you might have no choice.

JP - somehow I doubt you can guarantee they're getting minimum wage.

Anyway, all options are open. Right now I'm more interested in ways to transport the materials. Let's not get into arguing about scanning services. I'll have to make quality decisions on a company by company basis.

Thanks.
Tom M.

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Dave - PODS doesn't show costs for the containers, or the transport, either. I assume you rent by the day/week/month, and pay transport by the weight and mile.

Details, details.

TRMark

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
If the boxes are all the same size stack them with an interlocking pattern on a 45" X 48" pallet, wrap with stretch wrap and strap to pallet with strapping material. If not the same size then get some "watermelon" boxes or larger Gaylord boxes and load books in the boxes, stretch and strapping would be good. Ship as the scanning company can take them. Use LTL freight company like Yellow, Old Dominion, etc. Logistical problem would involve use of loading doors, forklift or pallet jack, tailgate lift.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I checked on a pod from Chucktown to Vancouver BC a couple years ago

OP
NutmegCT

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Thanks gents.

Mark, all this time I'd been thinking rental truck, so checking shipping companies will be next week's job. The hundreds of boxes are all the same size: "banker box" 12x10x15. The materials are already in the boxes.

Don - Thanks for the $1000 ballpark. Charlestown to Vancouver BC is quite a trip. Do you recall what size POD was that for? And did the $1000 cover the POD as well as the transport?

TM

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Smallest one they had
Didn't have a lot of stuff to move
Ended up not using it as I thought it was over the top

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I think so
It was so long ago and I thought the cost was to much for the little stuff we had I dismissed it w/o much thought.
All this info is with fuzzy memory