• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A New Constant

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
That's a lot from just a 22 page short story.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
And as to the "conclusion" of a Kg:

Turtles!

Only one opinion, of course.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Tom, I think the idea behind the TedTalk is that too many people put faith in science like it is some sort of religion. I liked the way he uses the scientific method to question blind devotion to scientific theories that sometimes have not even been proven.

Doc, I think that is best constant for weight I have ever heard. I want to weigh everything in "Turtles" now.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Tom, I think the idea behind the TedTalk is that too many people put faith in science like it is some sort of religion. I liked the way he uses the scientific method to question blind devotion to scientific theories that sometimes have not even been proven.

Doc, I think that is best constant for weight I have ever heard. I want to weigh everything in "Turtles" now.

As I work with churches and try to help them understand the different world we live in, we talk about the "good" of the enlightenment - scientific method/ life saving drugs etc. but, also the cost - "If science is "TRUTH" then faith must be opinion or even sillyness. Partly because one important reality of all of this is education which allows people to make up their own minds and discover their own "truth." Interestingly we now see Science also being accused of being "opinion" as well notably in the anti-vaxxer movement and around climate change.

Recently read this:

"The crisis of trust in the media is part of a much broader crisis: a crisis of trust in knowledge, in facts, in experts and expertise; a hostility, amongst a certain section of the population, to anyone who knows anything about anything. It is, as some have called it, an "epistemic crisis"; a significant section of the population has simply decided it
knows what it knows, unreachable by any amount of evidence." (Andrew Coyne. Journalist - Innis College lecture)

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
JP - you're describing 99% of the people who post their brilliant comments on most public blogs. Mostly non sequiturs and ad hominems - much emotion, but little knowledge.

yikes

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That's a lot from just a 22 page short story.

With Lazarus, and going back through the earlier tales it's not that Long a stretch. :wink:

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
As I work with churches and try to help them understand the different world we live in, we talk about the "good" of the enlightenment - scientific method/ life saving drugs etc. but, also the cost - "If science is "TRUTH" then faith must be opinion or even sillyness.
Perhaps looking at science and faith as the how and why, both could be a part of the same truth without conflict?

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Perhaps looking at science and faith as the how and why, both could be a part of the same truth without conflict?

Bingo!

(Us humans are too easily swayed by the black/white yes/no true/false dichotomies.)

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've noticed that over the past decade as our society has tended to politicize everything in our lives that it has led to certain theories being promoted as fact and opinions given as facts.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I've noticed that over the past decade as our society has tended to politicize everything in our lives that it has led to certain theories being promoted as fact and opinions given as facts.

Walter - an interesting point indeed. I wonder if the 24/7 two-way instant personal communications we've developed over the last 20 years or so has led to the "polarization" problem.

T.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Tom - I think that it has. My original post turned into a rant against social media and the echo chamber that Facebook and similar platforms turn into. If the only opinions you ever hear are your own then sooner or later you will start believing that you are right in all things. As this happens normal discourse breaks down and instead of true debates people turn to many different fallacies to attack those that they see as being wrong, i.e. anyone who disagrees with them on anything.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Well, science has to rely on empirical truths. Provable by other, separate experiments set up by different labs or parties. Theory is tested by experiments, whether corroborating or disproven. Belief has a completely different set of standards, much less dependent on any proof of validity. We've been slow to get proof of the things going on in the subatomic realm, but as time moves on (sic) we're learning. We've been moving down into th' pidd'ly bits further and further, the knowledge has been enhanced as a result.

Belief is still just that.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Credo, ergo sum.

You heard (read) it here first, folks!

Bayless

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The "Scientific Method" is basically, make an educated assumption then try many experiments to prove the assumption (or theory) was wrong. As Einstein said regarding his special theory or relativity, "No amount of experimenting can prove me right but a single experiment can prove me wrong."

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
...meanwhile...

wanted-dead-alive-schrodingers-cat-3465562.jpg