• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

A New Constant

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Zukav is a 'fringe' physics author, a more moderate is Richard Feynman. But the field of particle physics has in the last couple decades run amok.

With the CERN folks banging VERY small stuff together in head-on collisions at higher and higher speed we are finding some amazingly revealing things. The Higgs boson (a.k.a. the God Particle) for example. We're learning more and more every day about what we don't know! :wink:

Had a conversation with a guy working in France, part of the CERN team before the BIG collider was finished. He gave me a couple book titles to peruse. If Zukav is daunting, ya oughta see those! 'brane (eleven separate membranes) speculation, Phoenix theory... I've read Feynman and Weinberg and mostly got what they conveyed. The Phoenix conversations are a step beyond.

It really bugs me there's no definitive understanding of "How Things Work" on a Universal scale. Or the infinitely smaller particle scale. The "beginning" is still too vague, the "end" too elusive. We only have just over a dozen billion years to figure it out.

I WANT ANSWERS NOW!!!! :smirk:

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Saw this TED talk (banned apparently) today and had to dig this thread up.

OP
DNK

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
That was interesting Greg
But for it listed to be banned is a bit of a misnomer.
It was actually moved to several sights to be viewed cautiously and for scientist to comment on his different views

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
That was interesting Greg
But for it listed to be banned is a bit of a misnomer.
It was actually moved to several sights to be viewed cautiously and for scientist to comment on his different views

I figure that adding "banned" to the title gets more viewers, whether it's true or not. Nothing new there.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
Interesting Ted talk, I ordered the book.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
hmmm - I must have missed something in that TED talk. He starts with an invalid premise, and then proceeds to give examples to attempt to prove it's invalid.

"The Science Delusion is the belief that science already understands the nature of reality in principle, leaving only the details to be filled in."

I don't think I've ever heard or read that science already understands the nature of reality - altho' we're doing our best to *try* to understand it. And I don't recall anyone telling me that's what they believe.

OK, back to my cave.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'm just kinda glad we've got the capacity/capability to *try*!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

Read every one of Father Heinlein's tales. We had a black cat who was apparently thus gifted. Named him Merlyn as a result of his seeming ability to be in two places at once. He's the one in my current avatar.

Surely miss th' furry li'l bastage.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Read every one of Father Heinlein's tales. We had a black cat who was apparently thus gifted. Named him Merlyn as a result of his seeming ability to be in two places at once. He's the one in my current avatar.

Surely miss th' furry li'l bastage.

always wanted to name a cat Pixel - though now in a new millenium our cats seem to nip off to Hogwarts with disturbing regularity.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Had one (unintended adoption in the mid-eighties) I named Glitch. She was a dear.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
hmmm - I must have missed something in that TED talk.
The main reason I posted that video was his comment about the speed of light not being a constant. Since the meter is now dependent on it being the distance light travels in a vacuum in 1/299,792,458 th of a second, it could wind up worse than a merchant with a new big footed King.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I think I was about 14 when I read that. Gave me a new perspective of "time". And five (or seven) other things. :wink: