• This forum is expressly for posting articles, related in some fashion to British cars (the kind you might submit for a publication). You post an article is the same way that you might post a regular thread, but you understand the article:
    • Must be 500 words minimum
    • Must Include appropriate prefix
    • May include Pictures
    • May be edited or rejected by admin
  • The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Austin Healey A Lifetime of Memories

For articles related in any way to the Austin Healey Marque
Submitted by @healeygal - Sharon Tanihara

Twenty-six years ago, right after I first got my Healey Hundred, I attended the WestCoast Meet in Eureka, California and had my picture taken with Donald Healey. At the time, Ifigured that experience would last me a lifetime and was content to spend the next couple ofdecades using the car around town or venturing out on short jaunts up and down the coast. Itwas only in the last couple of years (realizing that time is slipping by and the car was beginningto deteriorate to the point of being unsafe to drive) that I became active in a club, had workdone on the car to make her roadworthy, and gained a better understanding of what makes hertick.

Me, my Healey and my shirt with picture of Donald Healey

This year, after a stern lecture from a friend warning me how disappointed I would feelonce the 50th anniversary celebration was over if I did not go, I decided to attend Open Roads2002 at Lake Tahoe, which can only be described as amazing in event aspect - the cars, thepeople, the location, and the varied activities throughout the week. (For a great recap andpictures, get a copy of Issue #100 of British Car Magazine, on the stands until January 15.)

On a personal level, it was a special event for me because I made the trip in my Healey,took the long, scenic route, Highway 101, doing it, joined a caravan over some great Healeyback roads into Tahoe with Gerry and Marian Coker and the Andersons of British CarMagazine fame, and on the way home, took the ride I’d been wanting to do for over 20 years -Highway 1 between Big Sur and San Luis Obispo.

Even the momentary lapse suffered by my car was blessed with good luck - as weheaded for home Thursday morning, two blocks out of the host hotel parking lot, she rolled to adead stop. With 400 or so of the Healeys in attendance out on the around-the-lake tour, whoshould we find after a trek back to the parking lot but club members Kirk Kvam, with his RV carrying all the tools one could need and Lou Galper, with his knowledge of the BN1 wiringsystem, and who would have thought a loose, slightly corroded nut securing a contact could shutdown the whole car? I hate to picture our dilemma had we been 100 miles down the road.

Reviewing the events of Open Roads 2002 and daydreaming a bit in the months sinceTahoe, it occurred to me that at the current rate of one major Healey event every 25 years, mynext big Healey celebration will be in the year 2027, when I’m the ripe old age of...well, nevermind! Let’s just say that so far, I’ve got two fantastic Healey events to remember for a lifetime!

Will all this stuff really fit in this little car?

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Come on, let’s see the picture...
I think this article is about 12 years old and the link to the photo is lost to forum software updates. It looks like Basil moved several stories to this new forum on March 3rd so I don't think Sharon was involved.

Basil

Administrator
Staff member
Boss
Yes, Sharon posted the original way back when and I manually moved the articles from the old forum. Need to look into why some of the pictures did not come over.

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
I lived in Eureka,& went to that meet.I probably have some
pictures around here.I drove my Cortina MKII GT to the Red Lion,on the
last day of the meet.John Sprinzel was the guest speaker,& gave me a
"thumbs up" when I was leaving.That made my day!