• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

67 Healey 3000 MKIII BJ8

RichardOlyn

Still Lurking
I recently acquired a frame off restoration of a 67 Austin Healey BJ8 and the water temp gauge does not move. I had the gauge replaced once already and determined that the old gauge was not working and I checked the new gauge out by inserting the sensor into a pan of water on the stove and watched as it slowly rose to 212 degrees and stayed there as the water boiled. However, once placed into the car, either the car runs cold or something else is going on here. I checked the thermostat and it is a 160 degree model and the engine runs just below 160 as I use a infra-red heat sensor on the block and the radiator is always below 160. Is the thermostat not opening - thus the lack of reading? Still why does the gauge not at least read at 140-150 degrees with the car running? Baffled here and if anyone can explain this - let me know your thoughts!

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
It sounds like its working properly but the gauge is probably accurate at 212 , not so much at 140. Does the sensor protrude into the cylinder head enough to be immersed in coolant?

OP
R

RichardOlyn

Still Lurking
Brinkerhoff;bt376 said:
It sounds like its working properly but the gauge is probably accurate at 212 , not so much at 140. Does the sensor protrude into the cylinder head enough to be immersed in coolant?
I believe it does. When I looked at the thermostat I could clearly see the sensor below it. The gauge does not even read 140, barely moves if anything at all and I know the engine is at close to 160 per the IR sensor.