• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1993 dodge Dakota shifter

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
The long story is, I was fixing a brake light switch on a 1993 Dakota 4x4 and figured I need to drop the steering column to get the new switch in place. When I dropped the column the shifter shifted into neutral and that little cable/line broke in the process plus the truck stayed in neutral.

What I need is to get the shifter to operate correctly and l think I can splice the little line it if not perhaps a new one might available.

My chief problem is the car will not start. From what I gather, the shifter thinks that it is in gear and not park or neutral to start. How do I fix that ????—I read where this one guy forced the leakage back by force at the column and that sounds like I could brake something else. Any ideas or suggestions are much appreciated.

Thanks Steve

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
no clue, though an overzealous shop guy oiled the undercarriage of my 80's GM something or another to the point that it gummed up the PRNDL cable and I managed to replace it in a driveway so it can;t be that hard, (30 years ago)

More to the the point it is unlikely a '93 is going to have computerized (fly by wire) controls. So, presumably there is a switch either in the PRNDL mechanism at the shifter or the transmission that will tell the car it is in park or neutral.

A quick visit to a Dodge forum might help.

edit, a quick google

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks for the video. I am kind of where that guy is at. I see he could not fix the cable. Mine might be broke in a more favorable place and might be fixable, but not sure. I am going to look for a new one. I am not very impressed with these 1993 Dakota trucks just a bunch of plastic and clips.

I was hoping someone on the forum had some experience with Dodge Trucks. I joined a Dakota forum and found some help, but the procedure for putting the steering column with a column shifter back in place is coming up vague. I was shocked when I lowered the column on advice from a Utube video and the truck dropped into neutral and shut off the park/ neutral switch. my life is over

No good deed goes unpunished.

Thanks Steve

Popeye

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
Might want to ping user AngliaGT; I believe he has had one or two Dakotas. (Not sure what vintage?)

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
thanks Mike. I am not sure how to get in contact with him by ping.
steve
There is probably an easier way but find a post of his, like here > Cleaning Steering Wheels < hover over the icon on the left and it will gove you the choice to 'start conversation'

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Actually,I've had SIX of them,& currently have a '94 Club Cab 4WD.
I can't help you with the shifter problem,but I do have a factory shop
manual.
PM me if I can help.
Dodge Dakota #6 008.JPG

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Hi AngliaGT and thanks for your response and yeh maybe a manual will help. Are they pricey? This thing has me upside-down, but I might be worrying over nothing. I will try and get the private message thing going, but in the past no luck. Have you ever dropped your steering column? I am thinking I might be babying it. Perhaps I need to just force the shifter into park at the column or go under the truck and force the linkage at the trans because when I dropped the column the truck went into neutral. I am going over Friday and I will take some pics. Only one guy on the Dakota forum responded and he was helpful and when I show him the pics perhaps things will be clear.

Steve

OP
S

sp53

Yoda
Country flag
Well to add to my no start truck stuck in natural, I went over and splice the little wire and that seemed to work. The shifter on the column is between park and reverse.

When I went under the truck, it seemed to me I could hit the linkage at the trans with a hammer and force the arm at the tyranny to go into park. Or loosen the nut on the linkage bar then force the trans to shift by hand and retighten the bolt. Does that sound about right? the picture of the plug. I am not sure of it just appeared after I dropped the column

Thanks Steve

Attachments

• DSCN1220.JPG
    DSCN1220.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCN1222.JPG
    DSCN1222.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 32
  • DSCN1224.JPG
    DSCN1224.JPG
    3.2 MB · Views: 27