• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB 1977 MGB will only run on full choke

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Before you do the rebuild, check the float levels one more time; critical with the SUs. Also, sounds like you're still 2 turns down on the jets. Run them up to see if things change.

OP
L

Lavo

Country flag
Cheers Mickey, I'll try that now, one other thing I have just noticed is that the rear carb is pulling a much better vacuum than the front one. Only noticed when I put my hand over each intake to see if the engine note went up...it didnt by the way, the engine just died.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
AH! Are you adjusting them independently - that is, with the linkage between them disconnected? If not, then do so and adjust one at a time, obtaining good suction on one, then matching with the other. Probably will take a back-and-forth process.
Hang in there - you're on the right path!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Oh, and blip the throttle periodically during the process to clear any fuel.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I feel like we are getting closer on this - I would not suggest a carb rebuild right now - let's see if we can get it closer to correct first. Besides cars typically run lean with worn carbs (too much air through worn shafts).

what RPMs is the engine idling at with full choke? when you release the choke - can giving it gas keep it running?

OP
L

Lavo

Country flag
Cheers guys, the car idles on full choke between 1500 to 2000rpm. Once the choke is reduced the engine dies no matter how much you press tje accelerator.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
That takes us back to massive intake leak or lack of fuel. Is there a filter that might be only partially restricted? Maybe one down near the pump?

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Full disclosure I am not a mechanic and am somewhat clutching at straws, but, the only thing that I can possibly think that could fall out of tune in the car is the distributer. The carbs don't change their settings, fuel pumps work and then they stop. Filters get plugged and flow stops.

However I have seen/ heard of distributers working loose and shafts getting worn. I am not enough of a mechanic to know if this could be a factor - though I imagine if it was slightly off that it would only run under certain conditions. I don't want to add another confusing factor but...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
fuel pumps work and then they stop. Filters get plugged and flow stops.
SU pumps sometimes half-work, filters sometimes become partially restricted. Forty-five years for rust to develop in a tank, sediment can cause some strange conditions.

OP
L

Lavo

Country flag
I've followed your instructions and have managed to get it to run off choke but I can't get it to idle below 1100rpm. I'm not sure how it runs under load yet as I'm currently blocked in by a van but I'll try it tomorrow. Can't thank you all enough for all the help.
Dave.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've followed your instructions and have managed to get it to run off choke but I can't get it to idle below 1100rpm. I'm not sure how it runs under load yet as I'm currently blocked in by a van but I'll try it tomorrow. Can't thank you all enough for all the help.
Dave.
Make sure the fast idle screws aren't causing the linkage to bind.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Dave.
great news. In terms of idle, it took me a long time to learn to set it with the engine hot. good luck and keep us posted!

OP
L

Lavo

Country flag
Started it up today intending to take it for a run, right back to square one. Won't run without choke. I've managed to get it to run on half choke but it's very lumpy. Changed plugs and leads, checked balance on carbs, all ok and still no joy.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Rats. Sorry to hear that.

WAG suggestion: As it's "idling" at 1000 RPM, pull up and hold a second or two then push down the same on the carbs themselves. A change in RPM would indicate an air leak past the carbs someplace along the manifold.

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
WAG …. Is there a chance that the manifold is loose allowing air to get in?
A quick check of the nut’s securing the manifold to the engine should tell you quickly.

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
So - starts on full choke and runs good until you push choke halfway home, then it speeds up and dies. Right? before you go tearing things apart, get yourself an SU (or maybe even a Stromberg) trouble-shooting manual and go through it page by page. Those are "variable choke" carburetors with no real choke plate like an American classic carburetor. What spark plugs are you using? Plugs may be too cold and fouling at low rpm. Were they wet with fuel when you took them out?

OP
L

Lavo

Country flag
I've checked the manifold nuts,all seemed OK there. I'm using ngk plugs and they seem dry but sooty aftrt the cars been running for a short time. I have again managed to get the car to run without choke but runs rough. I'll look for a su troubleshooter book today see what I an find. Thanks

Gliderman8

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Do your carbs have diaphragms?
If you do, you might check for tears in them.