• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR4/4A 1967 TR4A Question

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Guys,

Quick question. I am no TR4 expert, but is it possible to have a 1967 TR4A with a Solid Axle vs the IRS? I thought that after 1965 on the 4A's (especially by 67) that it would be IRS.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

cheseroo

Jedi Trainee
You could order a TR4a in solid axle. Starting with the 250 you could no longer order a solid axle. I think the thinking was the same as the TR3B in that the US dealers were afraid of losing sales with the new model so they insisted on having an alternative. I think tdskip has a 66 solid axle TR4a.

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Solid axles were available during the whole run of the TR4A as far as I know. The last 1967 TR4A registered at the TR Registry is a solid axle (37 from the last one produced).

Scott

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Thanks for the quick response guys.

Cheers,
M. Pied Lourd

HerronScott

Darth Vader
Looking to add one to your collection? :smile:

Scott

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Scott,

Might be :smile:
Looking at CTC75071L

Anyone interested in pics so they can comment?

Cheers,
Tush

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
M_Pied_Lourd said:
Hi Scott,

Looking at CTC75071L

Cheers,
Tush

You don't have to ask if we want to see pics...if you have pics,<span style="font-weight: bold"> you MUST post them...</span>it's a forum rule. :smile:

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Alrighty then!

https://s370.photobucket.com/albums/oo145/Pied_Lourd/1967%20TR4A/

Orignally White with Red Interior. According the the seller, the interior is the original Brakes/Flex Lines have been done recently along with tie rods. Rad re-cored and electric fan fitted. Engine Rebuilt Late 80's. Diff rebuilt at some time fairly recently. Supposed to run/shift well (blah blah blah)...

Comments welcome.....care to speculate on the price?

Cheers,
Tush

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
I used to have a solid axle 66, loved the car, go for it. Now that I am working on my TR250 I really appreciate the simplicity of the solid axle set up.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Looks pretty nice. Needs a little work but should make a good DD.

I don't remember that SU's were still being used in 67. Anybody know?

Price? $3500-4000. Just a WAG.

TR4nut

Yoda
Country flag
That looks very decent - just my off the wall opinion, but I think I'd prefer the solid axle 4A to the IRS. Kind of like the end game for the TR4 and very rugged. With IRS I'd either go for a 250 or all the way to TR6.

CinneaghTR

Jedi Warrior
M_Pied_Lourd said:
Hi Scott,

Looking at CTC75071L

Cheers,
Tush

Solid axle cars have a "CT" not "CTC" prefix. Are you sure the car is not IRS?

From what I can see, the car looks pretty nice. The engine bay needs a bit of work. If you buy it, the first thing you must do is get the correct cooling hoses. That top one is scary.

My day job prevents me from speculating on price, but the price should be pretty reasonable.

vivdownunder

Jedi Warrior
Jim, Standard-Triumph started fitting Stromberg carbies to TR4's after the SU company became part of the opposition - BMC. Then when S-T joined the newly formed British Leyland Motor Corporation, SU carbies became in-house.

So as a result, SU carbies went onto TR4A's during 1966, although by then the improved HS6 (S for short) version had been introduced.

Identifying live axle TR4A's is straightforward, as they used CT prefix commission numbers carried over from the TR4. IRS TR4A's of course, had CTC commission numbers.

Regards,

Viv.

OP
M_Pied_Lourd

M_Pied_Lourd

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Jeremy,

Right you are, just checked the email from the seller and it is a CT prefix and yes it is a solid axle for sure.

Thanks again,
David

Country flag
I have a solid axle 66 TR4A. Its a CT prefix. AS stated above 4A's had CTC, I have had two TR4A with a 1CTC prefix. Don't think we ( BCF's) ever really got to the bottom of that. Some folks thought it was a dealer modification. Any decent driving TR4a should bring $4500.

Marv

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
vivdownunder said:
Jim, Standard-Triumph started fitting Stromberg carbies to TR4's after the SU company became part of the opposition - BMC. Then when S-T joined the newly formed British Leyland Motor Corporation, SU carbies became in-house.
Close...except that Standard-Triumph was taken over by Leyland around 1961, but it wasn't until about 1968 that Leyland merged with British Motor Holdings to form BLMC. Meanwhile, Triumph actually developed the Zenith-Stromberg carburetor!

HerronScott

Darth Vader
M_Pied_Lourd said:
Hi Scott,

Looking at CTC75071L

Cheers,
Tush

I obviously have a soft spot for TR4A's so always happy to see another one join the family here!

It looks very decent from your pictures although the wiring looks a little suspect under the hood with a number of additions/replacements. What's the story with the extra dash?

Scott

HerronScott

Darth Vader
bgbassplyr said:
I don't remember that SU's were still being used in 67. Anybody know?

Jim,

I believe they were using Strombergs on the early TR4A's and switch back to SU HS6's (Viv indicated in 1966). Both of my 1966 TR4A's came with SU's with build dates in May and August of 1966.

Scott

HerronScott

Darth Vader
TR4nut said:
That looks very decent - just my off the wall opinion, but I think I'd prefer the solid axle 4A to the IRS. Kind of like the end game for the TR4 and very rugged. With IRS I'd either go for a 250 or all the way to TR6.

Randy,

Obviously, I'm biased toward the IRS TR4A but that's because it's what I'm used to given that's what my first car had. Definitely more failure points to watch out for (Half-shaft u-joints, differential mounts).

Scott