• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

1967 BJ8 Coupe based upon the ACME advert

OP
A

andrewss

Jedi Hopeful
Derek I plan to keep the original boot lid in design and size only.. I will use the original hinges, method of opening, etc. The lines of the boot will be incorporated in the overall flow of the coupe shape. In reality it will be flatter than the original. At this point we are looking to keep the existing rear light configuration and form so that from the rear its distinctly a Healey...

stevebn2bj7

Jedi Warrior
I like that the chrome door top finishers have been removed. Never really liked the look of them and know why they are there on the convertible but are not needed for a coupe.

Healey_Z

Jedi Warrior
Love it. I liked the look of the GT6 top on the AH, but the drawings you have look great and make the GT6 car too tall/ bulbous and clunky.

a5a650a19d0263d5dcc8aa02e5a0830f.jpg

6421e4d7c21b53cce2aa912a0acec957.jpg

Last edited:

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
... At this point we are looking to keep the existing rear light configuration and form so that from the rear its distinctly a
Healey...

Good plan, keep the rear lights and part of the rear schroud. Side exit for the fuel and a nice long backwindow

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
From a engineering standpoint, I would add a roll bar that would flow with the rear roof lines, it would add rigidity to the roof section and attachment points, starting from behind the seats sloping to the rear. This way you can also have a removable roof panel from the beginning of the roll bar cross brace up to the windshield frame. Good luck, Drambuie.

Mert

Healey top 1.jpgHealey top.jpg This is a fiberglass removable top that came from the UK that fitted my 60 BN7. It came with the Healey I bought in 1988. I lost the top in a strong gale that shattered it. It was connected in the front along the top of the windscreen with eye-bolt clamps. The car boot lid came off and was attached to the rear opening of the shell. There were internal center post rods that fit into the holes for the soft top. Internal structure was braced between center posts with a solid molded piece. The rear was held in place with the boot latch. I just wish I had kept the damaged shell. It could have been repaired. There were molded openings for the rear lights. The fuel cap was accessible via the interior area under the rear window. All windows were plexiglass.

Last edited:

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
In the drawing you have removed not only the chrome strip below the window but also the metal underneath it. I don't know anything about BJ8s but can you do that and retain the wind up windows?

OP
A

andrewss

Jedi Hopeful
This coupe will not be a convertible with a hard top add on but re-engineered with a welded roof structure in one piece that incorporates a new rear shroud in sheet metal (replacing the existing one in alu). This will obviously increase the overall weight (and affect the performance) but ensures the chassis rigidity and will allow us to achieve the flow from the roof down to bumpers without creating an 'egg shape' when viewed from the back end. The chrome door/window strips will be retained and the new rear quarter light windows and rear window (with chrome surround) will be sourced.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
No matter How this project is approached, it should be very interesting to see develop, at least from a cosmetic standpoint, flowing gracefully and in proportion to the existing sleek lines of a big Healey. I would imagine the interior portion of the project would be fun to design as well. I always loved the interior appointments of the 63 split window corvette. I think if done right this project can also sport a beautiful interior design. It would not hurt to study the 63 corvette split window coupes lines as a case study.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I think if done right this project can also sport a beautiful interior design.

Ultimately, these are Andrew's decisions to make, but he did ask for suggestions. I think the project has captured all our imaginations and allowed us to daydream a bit about what we'd do if we were going down the same road. For me, I would want it to be more of a Grand Tourer than a sports car. It's what I'd want when I took my imaginary tours across the Continent to the south of France or drove the Autobahn. Something like the Eagle GT low-drag E-type https://www.lowdrag-gt.com/ Since it's a closed coupe, the interior could be a bit more sumptuous with some comfortable seats with good lumbar support and side bolsters. A beautiful wood steering wheel, a nice audio system hidden in a period radio, and, as an absolute necessity, air conditioning and modern heating/demisting capabilities. The Eagle GT is a good model:

2z40g0w.jpg

Despite these modifications, I'd like it to look in-period and not like a resto-mod. Wheels would have to be painted wires, maybe Borranis, or the Dunlop wheels as on Reid's car. I think a suitably upgraded Healey motor with triple Webers or a discrete SU fuel injection conversion with a 5 speed gearbox would be great for high speed cruising. For color choice, it would have to be silver with an oxblood leather interior. Maybe this will be the start of Andrew making bespoke editions for all of us.

Last edited:
OP
A

andrewss

Jedi Hopeful
Gentlemen, 'We will walk before we run' I'm not sure who coined this phrase but it rings true for this project although the passion in Rick's response highlights the magic of our Healey heritage and the dreams that it evokes. I have my thoughts on the interior and the color scheme. I am looking to respect the design ethos of Gerry Coker but at the same time need to develop an interior that adapts to a coupe rather than a convertible.

For those of you who have seen my last project (BJ7) finished in a little over 7 months you will not be disappointed at the speed in which this 'coupe' will evolve. Please feel free to add your comments or ideas.

We re-open tomorrow and the chassis comes back from sand blasting... I'll keep you up to date with photos..

Regards,

Andrew

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
Gentlemen, 'We will walk before we run' I'm not sure who coined this phrase but it rings true for this project although the passion in Rick's response highlights the magic of our Healey heritage and the dreams that it evokes. I have my thoughts on the interior and the color scheme. I am looking to respect the design ethos of Gerry Coker but at the same time need to develop an interior that adapts to a coupe rather than a convertible.

For those of you who have seen my last project (BJ7) finished in a little over 7 months you will not be disappointed at the speed in which this 'coupe' will evolve. Please feel free to add your comments or ideas.

We re-open tomorrow and the chassis comes back from sand blasting... I'll keep you up to date with photos..

Regards,

Andrew
Why not consider Gerry Coker to design the interior?

stuntflyr

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
View attachment 30777View attachment 30778 This is a fiberglass removable top that came from the UK that fitted my 60 BN7. It came with the Healey I bought in 1988. I lost the top in a strong gale that shattered it. It was connected in the front along the top of the windscreen with eye-bolt clamps. The car boot lid came off and was attached to the rear opening of the shell. There were internal center post rods that fit into the holes for the soft top. Internal structure was braced between center posts with a solid molded piece. The rear was held in place with the boot latch. I just wish I had kept the damaged shell. It could have been repaired. There were molded openings for the rear lights. The fuel cap was accessible via the interior area under the rear window. All windows were plexiglass.

Really neat pictures and top, Mert. Thanks for the input.
Chris...

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
Ultimately, these are Andrew's decisions to make, but he did ask for suggestions. I think the project has captured all our imaginations and allowed us to daydream a bit about what we'd do if we were going down the same road. For me, I would want it to be more of a Grand Tourer than a sports car. It's what I'd want when I took my imaginary tours across the Continent to the south of France or drove the Autobahn. Something like the Eagle GT low-drag E-type https://www.lowdrag-gt.com/ Since it's a closed coupe, the interior could be a bit more sumptuous with some comfortable seats with good lumbar support and side bolsters. A beautiful wood steering wheel, a nice audio system hidden in a period radio, and, as an absolute necessity, air conditioning and modern heating/demisting capabilities. The Eagle GT is a good model:

2z40g0w.jpg

Despite these modifications, I'd like it to look in-period and not like a resto-mod. Wheels would have to be painted wires, maybe Borranis, or the Dunlop wheels as on Reid's car. I think a suitably upgraded Healey motor with triple Webers or a discrete SU fuel injection conversion with a 5 speed gearbox would be great for high speed cruising. For color choice, it would have to be silver with an oxblood leather interior. Maybe this will be the start of Andrew making bespoke editions for all of us.
. Rick....I could not agree with you more! All the appointments and color scheme you describe are precisely what I had visioned for this type of project, like you where reading my mind. In my humble opinion, you nailed it Perfectly! Yes, this is Andrews project and ultimately he will decide all the details. But it's fun for everyone on the forum to offer there vision. BTW...Great looking E-type interior photo. That low drag E-Type body is the ultimate, and that roof line and shape is the end of the rainbow.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
. Rick....I could not agree with you more! All the appointments and color scheme you describe are precisely what I had visioned for this type of project, like you where reading my mind. In my humble opinion, you nailed it Perfectly! Yes, this is Andrews project and ultimately he will decide all the details. But it's fun for everyone on the forum to offer there vision. BTW...Great looking E-type interior photo.

It probably shouldn't be a surprise that we agree. Like Pavlov's pooches, we've all been preconditioned. Show me a Nardi wood wheel, some butter-soft leather interior, Borrani wire wheels, a Raydyot mirror and I''m going to be humping your leg. This stuff just speaks to us and is what we love. Not that there's anything wrong with that, and I'd still be more than thrilled to drive that Healey I described.

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Andrew,
Looks like a great project. One thing I'd do is bend some steel rod in the shape of your design and put it on an existing car (lots of protective tape). Put it over the driver seat and sit in the car. That will tell you if you need to make adjustments before too much work is done.
Personally, I think the roof will wind up looking thicker when viewed from the side than the latest design. I believe some sort of compound curve will have to be added to the roof to keep it from oil canning and also give it some strength.

drambuie

Jedi Warrior
I also have had a special BN6 Healey Project in mind and on paper for the last 3 years... However, I want to start from the bottom up! With high performance suspension mods, IRS rear and rack and pinion front, 4 wheel disk ABS brakes. Motor....starting with a manufactured 3.8 All aluminum Healey Motor from the Healey Werks, Injected and completely tricked out for fast road use. A interior of my design and function. That's just the starting base of it. I want to redesign the front nose and head lights, a look inspired from the early Ferraris, possibly glass Enclosed headlights that are in proportion and flow with the existing body lines, possibly a tilt front nose section. I assume many of us have a special build in mind!

OP
A

andrewss

Jedi Hopeful
Gentlemen,

Just a short update on the BJ8 Coupe project. The chassis is back from blasting and dipping. No surprise that the usual problems such as floor pan and out riggers are beyond repair. The parts have been ordered and delivered so next week we start with the chassis rebuild.

The final decision on color has been made. Black high gloss with a red oxblood interior, matching wilton carpet and original 72 spoke painted wheels with 15" pirelli tyres.

Now to the improvements;

First of all this will be a 2 seater with the back seats replaced with a carpeted flat area for luggage.

5 speed GETAG gearbox (eliminating the O/D).

Power steering.

Period radio (hidden GPS screen) and 4 speakers (hidden behind perforated holes in the footwell panels and rear panels)

80L fuel tank in aluminium with space for a spare tyre.

Split exhaust each side of the number plate.

Air con and new heating system.

Some have suggested that my drawings resemble the back end of a porsche... I have asked an artist to create some scale drawings to show that despite the resemblance to a porsche back end the finished article with have a more rounded rear end with all the distinctive Healey qualities..

Further info in due course..

A Happy New Year to all of you..

Andrew

bj8 coupe view.jpg